The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Birmingham area, AL... i.e. crispy crunchy everything land!

Default Any southeast area tack swaps? I need blankets for youngsters.

Hey, does anyone know of any tack swaps going on in Alabama and Georgia in the near future? I live in the Birmingham, AL, area and I think it would be great fun to join one. A friend of mine just went and found oodles of stuff she needed at the one in Raleigh, but it's too far for me. Something somewhere around Birmingham, Huntsville, Montgomery, and even Atlanta would be great. Currently I need waterproof turnout blankets for babies that currently measure 62" and 66", so I'll likely need 63"/64" and 68"/69" since they're growing like weeds. My whoopsie baby will be a yearling at the end of the month and will need a turnout sheet and a turnout blanket since she outgrew her baby blanket long ago (some of you may remember her from this thread: http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=316618, and she's a friggin' giant because she's already almost 14.2hh at 11 months). There's plenty of other stuff that's on my wish list that I'd love to find used, though, and eBay has not been as fruitful when I've been searching lately!

If anybody happens to have something that would work, by the way, sheets or waterproof turnouts would be great, I'm just trying to avoid green, camo, and animal print...

And what do you guys think about starting a movement to organize local tack swaps for regions? Like a north AL, central AL, south AL, a north FL, central FL, south FL kind of thing? Or does this kind of thing already go on and I'm just out of the loop?
    When life throws you lemons, put on your best Asian accent and scream "Faaack yuuuu Rehmooohns!" (says yours truly, the half-Japanese kid )

My Pony Blog Dressage & My Horsey Life

Birmingham area, AL... i.e. crispy crunchy everything land!

Seriously? Nobody wanted to chit chat about tack swaps down south?
    When life throws you lemons, put on your best Asian accent and scream "Faaack yuuuu Rehmooohns!" (says yours truly, the half-Japanese kid )

My Pony Blog Dressage & My Horsey Life

In Georgia, the Cherokee Co. Saddle Club holds a tack swap the first Saturday of November at the Tractor Supply store in Hickory Flat, Canton. Canton is about 40 miles north/northwest of Atlanta.

I have a medium weight t/o in great shape I'd be happy to sell you, but it's probably too small as I used for weanlings. Don't remember the exact size, but can check when I get home, if you're interested. It was made by Jeffers, and I highly recommend their own brand of blankets. This one stood up to limited use by 2 different weanlings, one of which was a colt who loved to try and get in trouble with anything and everything. But the blankie survived!