The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Gosh, I thought vomiting was just part of what makes cats... cats. I've got 4 and dollars to doughnuts, a couple of times a week SOMEONE is puking. I might have to try some of these suggested wet foods to see if they'll eat them and NOT puke!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quick update in case OT closes before I have definitive results

I've tried various canned foods with limited success. I eventually settled on Before Grain, which he seems to like the best, although he still pukes it up if he eats too fast. For dry food (which I have to keep putting out because the other cat will ONLY eat dry food), I ended up using the Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diet. But he was still throwing up at least 2-3 times a week, and sometimes every day. He's lost at least a pound in the last few months.

Today was his annual checkup, and I tried out a new vet since we moved recently. Since he seems to throw up regardless of the ingredients in the food, they think that he may be puking because he's eating too fast and taking in too much air with his food, causing a reflux when the food hits the air in the stomach. They suggested raising the food at least 6 inches off the ground, which apparently reduces the amount of air intake while eating. So we'll give it a shot -- at least this solution doesn't cost anything Fingers crossed!
    RIP Victor... I'll miss you, you big galumph.

Update part 2:

Well, it's been 10 days, and he has not thrown up even once. He's actually getting excited about dinner again, and he's cleaned his bowl at every single meal. Such a simple solution!

1 members found this post helpful.

Very interesting solution. I'm glad that raising the food off of the floor has made the difference. I think I'll try it with my thrower-upper, who just managed to throw up down the register. Haven't figured out how to get that out yet, but, hopefully, it didn't go too far down.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

to keep them from wolfing food, put a golf ball or large stones in the bowl.

OP, I am glad you have found a solution.

I have had many cats (mother is a vet). We really haven't ever had pukey cats, unless they were ill or had GI issues (and I have had those...)

I keep them brushed & prevent them from horking down their food or eating strange objects, the puking is pretty limited. I understand that OP has cat with sensitive stomach, but most cats who are not eating wild animal parts don't have to be yacking all the time.

Of course, right now I have one pissy prissy female who won't let me brush her adequately (we could fight about it, but I get a little in & then give it up), and she does have the occasional hair ball.

yes, this obviously won't help with hairballs or eating things they're not supposed to. My vet suggested it as a method for dealing with what she called scarf-and-barfers She also suggested getting a slow feeder, but told me to try this first as the easiest solution.

I feed Whiskas dry food. My sensitive-stomach kitty does very well on it and my other kitty loves it too. About a year ago I started feeding Whiskas Indoor; before that I fed regular Whiskas. Both kitties do very well on it. It seems to me to be chewier than other dry foods, and not as colorful, so hopefully no chemical dyes.
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

I got a slow feed bowl and it slows mine down... only for the second it takes them to UPEND it because it irritates them so much for that!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Apparently there is no good diagnostic assay for a Vitamin-B12 deficiency which is associated with absorption problems that aggravate Irritable Bowel Disorder (IBD), which also can create the after-meal, or WELL after-meal, barfing, as well as weight loss, etc.

If there is a Vet School nearby, someone may be able to run a home-brew B-12 assay, as did the folks at NCSU CVM who determined that my senior Siamese, Otto, was low in B-12 due to some malabsorption issues. He also gets a special hypoallergenic Rx diet.

Might be worth adding to the list to check out for cats who don't respond effectively to the suggestions here.

Otto gets weekly B-12 injections which he seems not even to notice, much less mind. He also gets 10 mg of famotidine (Pepcid) twice a day for his IBD. I also take his food away about halfway through for a few minutes, and also feed him his quota of food split into 2/5 for lunch and 3/5 for dinner.
    If I knew what I were doing, why would I take lessons?

"Things should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler." - Einstein