The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default food for cats with sensitive stomachs - update post 22

Suggestions? I have one with a sensitive stomach, who throws up whatever he's eaten, about 50% of the time. I'm currently feeding Wellness Indoor for the dry food and Wellness canned food as well. He pukes up wet food and dry food both, and he doesn't wolf down his food -- he's very deliberate about it. He's got a clean bill of health from the vet.

The brands I saw in the pet store are: Science Diet, Purina, and Royal Canin. I won't feed the first two, and I know nothing about the last one... is it any good? any other suggestions?

I'm looking for dry and canned ideas, since the other cat (the non-puking one) will only eat dry food. She's also a bit overweight, so I need to stay away from stuff that's going to make her put on more weight...

Thanks!
    Last edited by BigHorseLittleHorse; Dec. 17, 2012 at 10:50 PM.
    RIP Victor... I'll miss you, you big galumph.

Have you looked at a limited ingredient food? Like Natural Balance: http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/pro...edient%20Diets

There is dry as well.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

I put mine over onto the Royal Canin dry formulas and it all stopped. Currently she gets Royal Canin Indoor Beauty, and Persian formula, 1/2 and 1/2 on the plate. RC also makes food for allergies or sensitive stomachs. When said kitty got itchy, the vet put her on RC Hypoallergenic dry food (which is also for sensitive stomachs) and RC prescription wet food that didn't have any chicken protein in it to quiet things down. Worked great, and then I moved her back over to the formulas at the top of the page. She ended up being allergic to pollen and dust, so with ac and vacuuming more often, we have gotten rid of the itchies. For wet food, she gets a variety of Wellness minced tuna, and ProPlan tuna and seafood mixes. So far, all is quiet on the digestive front!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Definitely try the LID-- that was the brand I found (stands for Limited Ingredient Diet, I assume!). This was the salmon and peas flavor. I switched to that when Diamond had the recall and I couldn't find the Chicken Soup For The Cat Lover's Soul food.

But, since I spoil The Boys as much as the horses, I decided to let them choose which brand they liked best, once the Chicken Soup was back in production. They had a bowl of each (dry food), and ignored the LID until they ate the Chicken Soup.

I found both brands at independent feed and seed stores, not regular chain pet stores. The Chicken Soup brand is fantastic, but it is harder to find. Well worth it, though!

Acana for sure.

http://acana.com/

Completely grain free and never frozen.
    “We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”
    Kurt Vonnegut, Mother Night

I use Tractor Supply's 4Health brand dry kibble, Indoor Formula. Mostly it's for the cat with a UTI history (no repeat engagements), but also has reduced/eliminated vomiting from all of them (except the one who hocks up hairballs because he EATS DOG AND CAT HAIR OFF THE FLOOR...he's not the sharpest tool in the shed.)

I agree with Bluesy in that you want a grain-free diet. Wellness Core is a good, grain-free option that's pretty easy to find and it's available in dry and canned.

Nature's Variety Instinct is another brand that's grain-free and available in raw, canned, and dry. I feed the canned to my senior girl because she has trouble with stomatitis and the "unusual" proteins available in this line (rabbit, venison, duck, lamb) really seem to help. Her vet thinks her stomatitis might be allergy-related. I know we're going to pull her teeth eventually, though.
    I loff my Quarter horse clique

I kill threads dead!

Thanks, everyone! I picked up one can of each flavor of the Natural Balance LID today -- I'll see which one he likes before I choose a dry food.

I second the limited ingredient diet. This is the ONLY food my one cat can eat without immediately vomiting. She cannot have any kind of wet food- her stomach won't tolerate it.
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

What about California Natural? The cat formulas contain brown rice, but my cat who had very messy issues with regular Wellness does very well on it. It's also low enough in fat that my vet approved it for him since he became prone to pancreatitis. My other cat, who had ballooned a little on Wellness Core, has slimmed down on it.

So far, so good! He's had two small portions of the Natural Balance LID chicken flavor, no puking, and he's been stalking me ever since to get more. I guess he likes it

Quote Originally Posted by BigHorseLittleHorse View Post
    So far, so good! He's had two small portions of the Natural Balance LID chicken flavor, no puking, and he's been stalking me ever since to get more. I guess he likes it
    Yay! I hope he continues to improve.

I kill threads dead!

Quote Originally Posted by tikihorse2 View Post
    Yay! I hope he continues to improve.
    Thanks! I mean, really, how can you resist this face?

Thanks! I mean, really, how can you resist this face?
    I see what you mean. If I were there, I'd have to kiss him. (I kiss all my cats.)

I kill threads dead!

Another vote for Royal Canin - they have a rabbit and pea diet that is great for cats with sensitive tummies.

Chicken, which is a primary ingredient in many cat foods, can be quite hard on a cat's digestive system.

will only eat dry food. She's also a bit overweight, so I need to stay away from stuff that's going to make her put on more weight...
    you really shouldn't feed any cat dry food. It's very bad for them- they need the fluids from a wet diet to really be healthy, and all dry foods contain too many carbohydrates for a cat to be healthy. In fact, it's probably the carbs in the dry food that is making your cat overweight in the first place.

Kumpi Kat. I would mail order it if I had to but fortunately it's a local company.

http://www.kumpikat.com/

Kitties don't barf on it. IBS cat got a couple more years of quality life because of it. Expensive, but worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    you really shouldn't feed any cat dry food. It's very bad for them- they need the fluids from a wet diet to really be healthy, and all dry foods contain too many carbohydrates for a cat to be healthy. In fact, it's probably the carbs in the dry food that is making your cat overweight in the first place.
    That would be great if she would eat it, but I'm not going to let her starve. I've tried many different brands, but she shows absolutely no interest, even when I take the dry food away. She doesn't like cat treats, either -- she's a weird one

That would be great if she would eat it, but I'm not going to let her starve. I've tried many different brands, but she shows absolutely no interest, even when I take the dry food away. She doesn't like cat treats, either -- she's a weird one
    At least my boy has company. He doesn't like treats either, except for yogurt. And he's lactose intolerant. And he doesn't like it unless it's dairy-based. I'm not going to go buy my cat special lactose-free yogurt.

He mostly prefers kibbles as well. I tried switching them to all wet food, but since he prefers to eat with his paw, I don't believe a lot of food actually got in him.

Quote Originally Posted by redkat View Post
    He mostly prefers kibbles as well. I tried switching them to all wet food, but since he prefers to eat with his paw, I don't believe a lot of food actually got in him.
    I had a foster cat once who liked to eat with his paw -- that might be one of the cutest sights on the face of the earth