The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default horse rips water buckets off wall...

I got a new boarder about a week ago, a gypsy vanner gelding. He is a nice boy, but has no respect for personal space, and he unfortunately knows how strong he is. He ripped the automatic waterer off the stall wall on friday and saturday, flooding the stall both times. Today I hung a jolly ball and put one on the floor and hung a water bucket on the wall using haystring and a bucket hook. He ripped that off the wall too, and broke the haystring. He has never been in a stall before my barn, he is 3 and has been pasture boarded (I don't offer that). He clearly has a water obsession. Anything I hang he will rip down and if I leave it on the floor he will step in it or paw it over. Any thoughts beyond showing her the door?
    Last edited by mpsbarnmanager; Sep. 2, 2012 at 08:53 PM. Reason: sp

I would give the owner a heads up before he hurts himself. If she is gomna be an active owner and will be working with him I'd give her a chance. I own a big baby myself who came from a field but I have exposed him to everything I can to educate him. If she cannot get out you might suggest a modified training board to get him some manners.

Insulated bucket holder.
    Click here before you buy.

I think if he can rip an automatic waterer off the wall he can rip a bucket holder off to...

Only if he rips the wall down with it--lag bolts right into the walls and I can attest they will hold the weight of a 275 pound friend of the family standing on them to change a lightbulb.

Deltawave, leave it to you to do a scientific test using a friend

I had *nothing* to do with it! I mentioned that one of my lights had burned out and that *I* had once stood on the thing to change a bulb. Our somewhat-larger-than-I (just about double, in fact) friend figured he'd do me favor.

I had a huge wb gelding who delighted in sitting on anything available. Sat on and ripped my Nelson waterer off the wall in the middle of a deep IN freeze and I had to wait months for the mess to thaw enough to clean up.
    Buckets were child's play to him.

I put the waterer back up, but lowered it considerably. Since his gig was sitting, that did the trick. If your guy is pawing, though... I also suggest a heavy-duty bucket with heavy-duty brackets, and somewhere between chest and knee height to make it a little less easy to target.
    Athletic Horses. Educated Riders.
    www.Ride-With-Confidence.com