The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Western boots for a beginner rider

Hi there, I was wondering if anyone has recommendations for relatively inexpensive men's Western boots. I'm a h/j and dressage rider, but my boyfriend would like me to give him a few lessons and he prefers the Western boots over paddock boots even though I'll be teaching him English--hey, if it makes him happy, I'm not picky!

What are some good Western boot brands for men that aren't too expensive? I'm only expecting that he'll want to ride about once a month, if that, so I'm hoping for under $100. Not sure if that is a reasonable price range or not. Not looking for any fancy styling--just plain black or brown boots that will last a few years.

Any ideas?

Ariat Ropers? I love mine. Reasonable (around 100 bucks) and comfy. I think they make them for men also.

If you can adjust your budget up to the $150 range, you may have better luck. Good entry level boot brands are Ariat and Justin. If you can bump up your range to $200, you can find a higher quality, longer lasting hand made boot. In the $200 range I would recommend Anderson Bean boots. There are tons of great online stores like Rod's, Pard's, National Ropers Supply and Cavenders. You are sure to find some great options on one of those sites.
    Claire Pelton
    The Pelton Equestrian Experience
    Precision Training and Management of Horse and Rider Teams

Don't overlook bargains on sale. I wear a nice pair of Noconas that I found on sale, at $70 or about a third of their normal price. They were on the men's rack, but fit me perfectly.

Tony Lama's also a decent brand.

Thanks for your help everyone. That gives me a great place to start!

Goodwill, Craigslist, Ebay...