The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Do you hate the way your SO drives?

He drives like a teenager in a hurry. He drives as if we were late. He has routes to places we routinely visit that in no way resemble the way I drive to these places, and his way takes twice as long, IMO. I'm always asking, "Where are we going?" and "Are we late?"

Love the sinner, though.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

For the most part, he's a good driver. The one thing that drives me CRAZY is his premature stopping at yellow lights. It will be a really busy intersection, the kind where yellow lights last foreverrrr and red ones even longer. Instead of just following the car ahead of him through he'll just stop while the light is still yellow and will be for the foreseeable future. I think he does this especially when we're running late.
    My CANTER cutie Chip and IHSA shows!
    http://www.youtube.com/kheit86

Not my SO, but my ex. Awful driver... to the point where I didn't even want to be a passenger in his car anymore because it scared me. He'd drive sooo close to the car in front of him and then have to slam on the brakes. He'd get distracted with his CD player or looking for something in the middle console. Once he wanted to take the light bulb out of his overhead light thingy while he was driving and then he didn't understand why I got mad at him. He also would "unknowingly" go 20-30 mph over the speed limit and I constantly had to tell him to slow the eff down. I was always stepping on my invisible brake in the passenger seat. Scary!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

My SO isn't that bad--just drives like a grandpa sometimes. He DID drive me around for 6 months when I lost my license due to a medical issue, so I cant complain too much!

When he trailers the horses, I would prefer if he was MORE cautious, but by no means is he fast, rough, or otherwise making the ride uncomfortable for the horses. I would just drive a bit more grandma-like if I was in front of the wheel. (I'm admittedly a bit of a lead foot in my every day driving, but with the horse trailer? Um, no. Thats my precious cargo, and you can get the hell over it if I feel like I need to go under the speed limit!)
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

I never get car sick, except for when DH drives. I would throw a tempertantrum and demand that I was allowed to drive the entire time I was pregnant because I often feared for my life and got tired of cleaning puke out of the floor mats.

I have a cast iron stomach...except when he's behind the wheel.

Well, not hate but geez.
    He speeds up before he gets to stop signs.
    When he starts to weeve I look over and see he is checking emails on his droid.
    The kicker is, he gets mad at ME when I flinch or say anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Superminion View Post
    I never get car sick, except for when DH drives. I would throw a temper tantrum and demand that I was allowed to drive the entire time I was pregnant because I often feared for my life and got tired of cleaning puke out of the floor mats.

I have a cast iron stomach...except when he's behind the wheel.
    You poor thing!

Also, DH is a honker. He honks at people for thinking about pulling out in front of him!
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

Oh Gosh!! Don't even get me started on this!!! My husband drives like a bat out of hell! Same as the OP's, he ALWAYS drives like he is in a hurry to get somewhere even when we are not in a hurry. He tailgates other drivers and changes lanes without a blinker.......drives me CRAZY! I always fear for my life when he is driving. Speeds up to other drivers and then slams the brakes. Did I mention that he also has no sense of direction?

My SO tail gates and doesn't even realize it. Now, I do admit to being the most paranoid passenger ever (with anyone) but he's awful.

And like someone else's SO, he take weird routes to places. He drives me insane.

Quote Originally Posted by NBChoice View Post
    Not my SO, but my ex. Awful driver... to the point where I didn't even want to be a passenger in his car anymore because it scared me. He'd drive sooo close to the car in front of him and then have to slam on the brakes. He'd get distracted with his CD player or looking for something in the middle console. Once he wanted to take the light bulb out of his overhead light thingy while he was driving and then he didn't understand why I got mad at him. He also would "unknowingly" go 20-30 mph over the speed limit and I constantly had to tell him to slow the eff down. I was always stepping on my invisible brake in the passenger seat. Scary!!!
    This, to the point where I decided it was a character fault, reflective of other character faults that led to the breakdown of our marriage. It wasn't that he didn't UNDERSTAND why I got mad at him about it, it was that he wouldn't hear any criticism of his driving. The whole issue snowballed - it wasn't about his driving, it was about anger management in general. I finally refused to ride with him any more after a particularly bad screaming fit, and divorced him shortly thereafter.

Yes, worse he has a small 2 seat convertible.
    "You gave your life to become the person you are right now. Was it worth it?" Richard Bach

My husband is actually a fab driver, but I sought one out to marry.

Due to a horrible ex-boyfriend.

It's fair to say that I have always had motion sickness. It's gotten better over the years, but as a child I spent many a summer shoved into the jump seat of the "way back" in the family station wagon with the family dog who also puked in the car. I guess they figured it was easiest to only have to hose out one section of the car upon arrival.

So this ex-boyfriend used to get really annoyed with me over the car sickness thing. On normal car rides, I can now avoid the actual puking thing, but can still feel horrendous with bad driving or very winding roads. I think he thought I was full of it, and often drove in a way that would make it much, much worse. On purpose.

On one trip to the Oregon coast from Portland (which is a winding drive up through the Cascades) we had a fairly rousing argument about something else and he was PISSED at me. (I mentioned he was my ex, right? Not a nice guy). He started to drive around those curves and up and down the hills in a way that let me know the gloves were off. I rolled down the window to get fresh air, I tried spotting on stuff, I tried everything.

My passive aggressive bitch finally reared her ugly head when I realized we were in his brand new shiny red Dodge Ram diesel he loved with all of his heart and the "joke" could very easily be on him. I opened the dash vent right in front of me, leaned over, and vomited right into the vent.

Try cleaning that up, bucko.

We broke up about a month later. He sold the truck when winter hit and the heater needed to be used.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Not my SO but my boss drives like a madman! We work in the field so we spend a lot of time in a truck driving between locations. Not only was he resistant to letting anyone else drive (even on 10-12 hour drives!), but he'd positively fly around, whipping the steering wheel back and forth (in a very tippable truck with a rooftop luggage thingy!) and texting people on his iPhone all the time. My coworkers and I had to do rotations of navigator duty, it was too nerve-wracking to watch the road.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

I think there needs to be a clause/rule/regulation somewhere that all soon-to-be-married couples need to seriously discuss: 1. Setting the thermostat 2. Driving habits

MrB is a great driver, which I'm really thankful for. I think he's a better driver than me, so I'm happy to hand over the keys any time we're together. Also, he rarely drinks, so I can count on him for the dd!
    Funny that Moody said she saw her ex's driving as a character flaw- i ALWAYS think that when I see a horrible, unsafe driver... that their driving is indicative of a deeper character flaw! I can't stand tailgaters, as if their car is magically capable of stopping/avoiding an accident with the car in front from 60 miles per hour in half a second? But then again, I fully accept that i am turning into my overly paranoid father when it comes to road rules.

That is my pet peeve with mine. A gem in so many ways, but not for his driving
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Hehehehe.

Mine says I am a horrible driver and that I speed. Ok, perhaps I do, up to about seven over IF I'm speeding. However he is the one who looks down, says "oh shit!" and slams on the brakes for doing 90. In a dually...

He also keeps his foot on the accelerator, pressing, up until he needs to start pushing on the brake. Hello, ever heard of coasting? A bit?

And yes, I do get car sick, and yes, he does make me car sick. Sometimes it's bad enough that he will let me drove but man oh man does he ever hate it.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

I don't hate the way he drives in general, but I hate the way he drives my car. Driving his car? I have no issues. Driving my car? I start to feel sick almost immediately.

To be fair though, my car has an extremely light touch and I like it that way. My first car was purchased from a double amputee who had previously installed hand controls in it - when that is done, the lower the tension on the pedals to make it easier for the controls. When I got the car they just didn't adjust the tension back. DH just doesn't know how to regulate a light touch!
    To be loved by a horse should fill us with awe, for we hath not deserved it.

Mine is a terrible driver. To the point that the rule is that if there's any other licensed driver available, he is NOT to drive. He accepts it grudgingly, but since he was just a few points away from having his license revoked, he's ok with it. I have seen him try to exit a vehicle while it's in drive, turn left from the far right lane of traffic, not notice stop signs, etc. He only drives when he has to, and is only allowed to drive his car.
    It's 2015. Do you know where your old horse is?

I don't even know anymore how he drives. If we're in a car together I'm driving. Started this when he ground the gears on my little Ranger truck. In 1991.