The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Gingrich supports Akin on Meet the Press

Did anyone watch "Meet the Press" this morning? I was amazed when Gingerich dismissed Akin's remarks by saying "Akin has publicly apologized."

I just wonder what kind of apology one would have to give for being incredibly ignorant. I don't think the man is stupid, but that a modern individual, a person in a position of such power, could be so misinformed... and actually believe the line of nonsense that he spewed... is jaw dropping.

It amazes me that Gingerich does not recognize the difference between an act that requires an apology, and a state of being. Akin gave an opinion that opens a window into the way he thinks, who he chooses to trust for information, and his level of education. It is who he is and how he believes. He is an uneducated, profoundly biased individual with peculiar and archaic beliefs. I can only wonder how that belief system and lack of education extends into other areas. It is mind boggling.

I think is is appropriate for a politician to apologize for lying, for cheating on his wife, for stealing, for any act. Of course that doesn't mean I accept the apology, or that I will vote for him/her, or that I will every trust that politician, but I recognize that that is the place for an apology.

I don't accept Akin's apology for being. I don't accept Gingerich's lack of comprehension about the difference.

No one cares what Newt Gingrich thinks.
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

We are talking about Newt Gingrich? The man who dumped his first wife (and his former high school math teacher) while she was having cancer surgery, and actually served her with papers in the hospital? And the man who dumped wife number two when she was diagnosed with a major illness? And the man who was doing the horizontal hula with wife number three while she worked for him and he was still married to wife number two? Why is anyone surprised at this, because I would imagine he thinks Akin is right.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by JanM View Post
    We are talking about Newt Gingrich? The man who dumped his first wife (and his former high school math teacher) while she was having cancer surgery, and actually served her with papers in the hospital? And the man who dumped wife number two when she was diagnosed with a major illness? And the man who was doing the horizontal hula with wife number three while she worked for him and he was still married to wife number two? Why is anyone surprised at this, because I would imagine he thinks Akin is right.
    You forgot that he was leading impeachment efforts against Bubba at the same time for lying about his adultery.

I still have the Newsweek cover from when he was bounced from congress. One word headline: LOSER.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

Quote Originally Posted by twotrudoc View Post
    No one cares what Newt Gingrich thinks.
    As it turned out, only Newt and his strange wife with the Grace Slick eyes cared what Newt thinks. And considering how haphazard his campaign was, it is debatable that Newt cared all that much about what Newt had to say.
    Sheilah

Well they can go home or whatever.
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteyPie View Post
    I don't think the man is stupid, but that a modern individual, a person in a position of such power, could be so misinformed... and actually believe the line of nonsense that he spewed... is jaw dropping.... I can only wonder how that belief system and lack of education extends into other areas. It is mind boggling.
    That's the scariest part. He's been in politics for years (and even served on the Science Committee?!?) with these views. They just happened to come to light after his recent remarks. How many other politicians have similar ideas but haven't spouted them yet in public??

Quote Originally Posted by JanM View Post
    We are talking about Newt Gingrich? The man who dumped his first wife (and his former high school math teacher) while she was having cancer surgery,
    Yikes. Really? I hadn't heard the part that one of his various wives started out as his high school teacher. Eww.

The people of Missouri who support Aiken understand that he misspoke, messed up. The latest polls show the race a toss up. I suspect the people in Missouri who support conservative values don't give a rat's patooty about what any of us think.

Aiken's opponent was outspoken in her support of obamas healthcare law and that is haunting her now. In 2010 the people of Missouri passed proposition C, the opt of the new federal healthcare law.

It's called the "Show me" state for a reason.

THP-yes, I forgot about that part. Of course, a post with all of his stupid or hypocritical moves over the years would be a bunch of pages long.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

There have been many times in my life that I wish that I had not said some particular thing to someone- that I could "take it back", so to speak. I will NEVER regret the time I called Newt Gingrich "Republican trash" to his face.

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    That's the scariest part. He's been in politics for years (and even served on the Science Committee?!?) with these views. They just happened to come to light after his recent remarks. How many other politicians have similar ideas but haven't spouted them yet in public??
    Yes. As for claims that he "misspoke," I call nonsense. He didn't let a swear word slip or mispronounce a word. He said exactly what he believes and he explained it in detail. There is no way that you can convince me he doesn't still believe exactly the same thing. As for the people of Missouri who, last I read, had him almost even in the polls with his opponent, Claire McCaskill, I think many of those supporters admire him for what he said and believe the same idiotic nonsense. He didn't make it up either, it is clearly something being promoted and supported by many others. Scary.

So when an eleven-year-old girl gets pregnant by her father, is that not legitimate rape? Apparently not, or her body would have "shut it down."
    Last edited by PeteyPie; Sep. 2, 2012 at 08:53 PM. Reason: left out quotation mark

Quote Originally Posted by PeteyPie View Post
    Yes. As for claims that he "misspoke," I call nonsense. He didn't let a swear word slip or mispronounce a word. He said exactly what he believes and he explained it in detail. There is no way that you can convince me he doesn't still believe exactly the same thing. As for the people of Missouri who, last I read, had him almost even in the polls with his opponent, Claire McCaskill, I think many of those supporters admire him for what he said and believe the same idiotic nonsense. He didn't make it up either, it is clearly something being promoted and supported by many others. Scary.

So when an eleven-year-old girl gets pregnant by her father, is that not legitimate rape? Apparently not, or her body would have "shut it down."
    I don't live in Missouri but border it so we've seen Aiken's "pardon my mistake" commercials. He will either win or loose in November and the sun will rise the next morning.

There is no shortage of politicians who have said stupid things and gone on to serve out their term and win additional elections. Look no further than Nancy Pelosi.

Of course if an 11 year old girl's father gets her pregnant that is rape and the SOB should be castrated and sent to prison for the rest of his life. My husband was on the jury of such a case here in my town. The girl was 13 when she gave birth to the baby. In the trial it came out that her father AND brother had been raping her while her Mom turned a blind eye to chaos. FTR, the Pop had a white collar job in my small town. That dirtbag is in prison. I don't know what happened to the dirtbag son.

Quote Originally Posted by SLW View Post
    The girl was 13 when she gave birth to the baby. In the trial it came out that her father AND brother had been raping her while her Mom turned a blind eye to chaos.
    Well, according to Mr. "Excuse My Misspeaking" Aikin it wasn't a legitimate rape if she got pregnant from it.

Add me to the majority of Americans who believe that misspeaking involves flubbing a word or a line, not trying to disown an entire belief system. What part of the multi-sentence statement was the part where he misspoke?
    Sheilah

As a pro-choice conservative I don't agree with the reproductive views of many on the conservative side. Women should not have to have to choose between a legal procedure or a back room procedure.

Here is Aiken's ad that has run on t.v. stations. http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...-asks-for.html

Missouri will decide for themselves.