The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Helmet Cam Driving Vid!!!

Ok... yes, I do plan to inundate the Internet with video of my horses lol.

My husband go me a GoPro2 Hero helmet cam as a gift, and then we went and hauled to a forest preserve park about an hour away and went trail driving... putting my awesome new toy to use!!!!

http://youtu.be/snVqZg72Fxs

Great! I just got a new camera too - and then ended up having this stupid back surgery so I haven't gotten to use it I was told that for CDE use it would be best to get a chest harness because it seems one turns one's head a bit too much for it to be really useful otherwise. What do you think?

Also, looking at you video Chewy I think you need to hold you hands closer together, a bit higher and with a little more contact. Horse is getting it's tail over the reins too much and reins are flopping in it's butt a bit. However I really enjoyed seeing your video and look forward to hearing your tips on using the helmet cam
    Pat Belskie - ASHEMONT Farm

http://www.ashemont.com
    Ashemont2@gmail.com

Once I get more experience using the helmet cam, I'll have more input on how the best way to use it would be. I would think it would be in the way on the chest, but I plan to use it quite a bit. We're even going to hook it up to a kite and get an aerial view

Yes, my reins are slack. I was on a trail drive enjoying my time with my husband and horse, not practicing for anything particular, but thanks for the tips. I tend to be quite light on the reins and maybe drop "formal equitation" on a relaxing trail drive. I ask for contact more when I'm trying to work on something, generally.

Loved the video! Now you need to do one with you driving Luke.

Is it my imagination, or does Chewbacca move out better when he's following Luke? Seems like he was moving along very well in this video.

I had to laugh at the number of times you had to flip the lines out from under Chewie's tail. Salt does that too, but only when the flies are really bad (in spite of spraying him), and only on the right side--go figure! I don't even think about it any more--just flip the line out from under his tail and trot on.

I would love to drive in that area--it looked like a great place. You sure live in a pretty part of the country. Not that Colorado isn't gorgeous, but definitely in a different way.

Rebecca

That looks like fun!

It looks like you guys are having a lot of fun. I remember reading about you first training Chewy. How long a go was that? Did you land up training him all by yourself? Great job!

Yes, RM, Chewie does move along better when he's got Luke for company. I can get Chewie to move out well alone on trails, because he likes being on grass. Usually in the arena and on the road, he doesn't. That gives me hope that maybe marathons will be his forte ! lol.

Luke & Chewie are funny, when they do get to go drive together, which doesn't happen often, as usually I'm driving them by myself one at a time. They will start to vie for "first" and they can be real hoots. Those boys are so much fun, I don't know really who I love driving more.

and yes, I, too, am pretty unconscious about his tail over the reins, too. He does it frequently whenever there's a single fly on him, or if he gets aggravated. Sometimes I think it's like a game for him, he's done it from day 1, and is so repetitive about it.

lol, I'm immune to it.

It was just so much fun to get to go haul out somewhere to go on a trail! I had such a blast. And although we were on the verge of rain, the weather held out until we were on our way home.

JackieandOllie, yes, I did end up training Chewbacca all by myself, a point to which I am very proud. I have never taken a driving lesson, or had any professional instruction in driving, except for 1 clinic with Chewbacca back in September last year, when he had only 26 drives.

I got his first hitch on July 12, 2011, and I had first started training him with ground driving in March, 2011. It took a while, but I'm happy with the results, he's such a good boy!

I was wondering how you hauled both horses along with the two carts. I don't think you've mentioned your vehicle setup (or if you have, I've forgotten!).

I am insanely jealous since I have no trailer at all. I'm lucky to have nice places to drive without having to haul, but there are so many other places I'd like to try one of these days. But Salt isn't getting any younger, and I'm not getting any richer!

Rebecca

Right at the end of the helmet cam video, we are making our way back to trailer parking. You can see the orange pick up and orange horse trailer... and you will also see a Jeep with an empty flat bed. That's how I haul the carts, then my husband takes the horse trailer with his truck.

I am very lucky to board at the perfect location for driving - they have an outdoor arena, trails across the street which I can drive on, and then all the roads all over the place, which I use regularly. So I have 3 different venues to drive the horses in, to help keep things mixed up and get in plenty of working practice as well as laid back "let's just go" time.

Getting to go out to these trails was a real treat for me. It is not easy trying to organize my husband to haul me. I've never hauled to a trail/park before, and sometimes I have to skip/scratch from shows if it conflicts with my husband's car showing schedule. It is nice having a trailer, but since I need 2 vehicles, 2 people, and 2 trailers to get anywhere, I run into limitations with where and when I can go.

Sometimes, I'll send in a show entry, then a car show pops up on the same weekend, and I have to scratch the horse show What I really need is a vehicle that I can use to haul the horse trailer with, too (my Jeep won't handle that), so I can just make 2 trips back & forth, but at least I can get out to shows/clinics, or even another trail trip!!

I would hate to be dependent on someone else's schedule too--sounds like you need to do some truck shopping!

Rebecca

looks great, except I get seasick from watching helmet cams ( I know, I am a baby) but I endured and watched all of your video. That looks like a nice park to drive at. Well maintained trails and pretty vistas.

I will agree with Ashmonte about your contact. And I know, you said that you were not 'working' on anything, but you know what; the only times I had near-accidents was when I was just relaxing and not 'working' on anything. That is when the grouse, or turkey, deer or (I live in Fla) pig comes running out of the bush under your horse's nose and OFF YOU GO and not in a good WHHHEEE having fun sort of way. Every time we (as horse people) interact with our horses its a learning experience.

PS, I want to hug chew's bottom, he has such a nice one !

I have to admit.....

I got sick watching it too. Lol.

I only made it halfway through the movie Cloverfield before I had to go puke. Not kidding

I just can't do the swishy-swaying motion movies. I had a hard time editing down the video.

This video is 7 minutes long out of an hour drive. It was hard to get through over 58 minutes of moving footage! lol!

I took another helmet cam video today, I will process it and get it up. I love my new helmet cam. The Internet will come to hate seeing my horses. lol

Awesome! I enjoyed that--and I didnt get seasick! ) WHat a lovely place to drive--where is that (what state) and what kind of horse is Chewbacca? It looks like you had a blast!

What model of the Hero 2 did you get and what attachment did you use ? I want one for trail riding !

the other mother (lol, love the name), Chewbacca is a QH. He is 16.2 hands. The park was a forest preserve in Illinois. We did have a lot of fun! Still working on more video from another drive at home. I have to try to get it up!

qhwpmare, I have the Hero 2 motorsports edition HD 1080dpi camera. It was in a waterproof case and attached with the head strap.

I love it! I definitely am going to be using this thing a lot!!

Very cool! Love it!
    "Horse Sense is a thing a horse has that keeps it from betting on people." - W. C. Fields

Cool... thanks for sharing! I didn't think it was that bouncy. It was nice to see the trails! I don't know much at all about driving, but I enjoyed the videos!
    http://www.leakycreek.com/
    http://leakycreek.wordpress.com/ Rainbows & Mourning Doves Blog
    John P. Smith II 1973-2009 Love Always
    Father, Husband, Friend, Firefighter- Cancer Sucks- Cure Melanoma

I had a problem with reins on his rump when I was relaxed. A friend added some more padding to my seat and raised me up a bit. It made a huge difference. If I'm schooling or competing in dressage I use the higher seat, take it out for cones, XC and trails.

Also, I didn't watch right to the end to see your truck and trailer (internet sucks) but what about a flat deck truck that you can put the cart on that can also tow a horse trailer?

I have a big horse truck that takes 4 horses and has living accomodation which fits 2 carts and 2 ponies / horses.

Next weekend I'm meeting up with a new group of drivers for a forestry drive - no helmet cam, but I'll take photos.

Great video! What a beautiful place to drive, and how nice to be able to share the activity with your husband. I'm in love with your meadowbrooks.
    I'm sure I've read it somewhere, but now I can't remember and I'm curious: what breed is Chewy?