The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default When to change the color of your hair?

As in, when to change the legal description of your hair color on driver's licenses, passports, etc.

I'm at the age where my hair is more grey than it is its original brown. In fact, whenever I see photos of myself, I'm slightly surprised at how grey it is. Right now, all my legal documents that note hair color say 'brown'. At what point of 'greyness' should I change them? Are there any guidelines out there? Or just wait for the next license renewal and ask DMV ....

*star*
    "Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
    - Desiderata, (c) Max Ehrman, 1926

I changed my hair color with L'Oreal just a few minutes ago! I got tired of grey in the front and light brown in the back. Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE grey hair, whether it's on 4 legs or 2 legs, but solid grey on a human, not 1/2 and 1/2. When I retired in '03 I decided I finally had time to use hair color. About 2-3 times/yr when I get my hair cut I ask my hairdresser how much grey is in the back still. Unfortunately she says it's all still brown, no grey yet. Honestly, I'm getting tired of coloring my hair. It doesn't take that long but I have yet to get a color that covers the grey without making my hair go from light brown to medium to dark brown. Then it takes about 1.5-2 wks till it gets back to it's more 'normal' color and in about 2-3 more wks the grey roots are showing through again that I have to do it all over again.

My driver's license says my hair is brown so I guess until I can get most of the back of my hair to go grey, I'll stick with coloring it.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

I have no idea if there are any official guidelines as far as DMV is concerned.

On a somewhat related topic, I don't weigh what my driver's license says I do. lol. Maybe by the end of the year I will however. I don't intend to change it now. Same with hair color. If i decided to color it and got pulled over, if the officer asked I would just say I went to the salon.

Raises the question of what significance DL hair color description has for people who change their hair color with the passing of each season. Law enforcement has probably been dealing with this for decades. My guess is that it is irrelevant to them, just a leftover from pre-DL photo days.
    If I knew what I were doing, why would I take lessons?

"Things should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler." - Einstein