The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default candida / "candida diet" - diet to control yeast overgrowth?

Curious to see if anyone else has researched candida or tried the candida diet. I happened upon it when researching what in the WORLD could cause recurring feminine complaints have stumped my doctors.

I'm not sure I'm sold on this being an actual thing but I definitively have an overgrowth with no clear cause and that is not responsive to medication in anything but the very short-term. I do have some reduction in symptoms when I abstain from caffeine, added sugars and am constant with probiotics. I semi-committed to the diet for two weeks (did away with processed food, diary, caffiene, flour, etc) and it did a number on me - I was exhausted beyond words (comatose sleeping 16-20 hours a day, for days in a row), began suffering migraines again, felt achy all over. Almost flu-like but longer lasting and with only minor nausea. They call this "die-off" but I could see it also coming from something I was missing dietwise since switching from the norm.

Would love to hear from anyone else who's experienced/heard of/scoffed at this idea. Like I said, not sure it's my exact issue but I don't see too much harm in trying it out while I see about getting my docs to point me in the direction of better diagnostics. Thanks!

Also interested in this for other reasons. Were/Are you using a a multi-vitamin during this?
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

I have done it. It's one of the best things I've ever done for myself. I used to do it every year for 30 days as a kind of cleanse, though the first year I did it for 90 days.

The first few weeks are HARD, and you will not feel that well. After that? You will feel amazing. It's incredibly worth it.
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

Quote Originally Posted by rideagoldenpony View Post
    I have done it. It's one of the best things I've ever done for myself. I used to do it every year for 30 days as a kind of cleanse, though the first year I did it for 90 days.

The first few weeks are HARD, and you will not feel that well. After that? You will feel amazing. It's incredibly worth it.
    What diet did you follow?

My husband did this diet for a bogus diagnosis of a systemic candida infection. He did it hard core... No sugar at all, right down to the brand to of toothpaste he was using. It was probably the worst 6 months of my life. It was hard to convince someone that you need some sugar in some form in order to live. He was absolutley unbearable! He lost nearly 40 pounds of weight he did not need to loose, he was literally skin and bones. Oh, and after almost ruining our marriage, his GI signs never did resolve with the diet. It was a great diet to loose weight though!
    Lisa

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    Also interested in this for other reasons. Were/Are you using a a multi-vitamin during this?
    I did not. I know that the system recommends various supplements but 1, I'm not much of a supplement junkie and 2, it becomes quite the financial investment to trial this out with pills!

Quote Originally Posted by idlemoon
    My husband did this diet for a bogus diagnosis of a systemic candida infection. He did it hard core... No sugar at all, right down to the brand to of toothpaste he was using. It was probably the worst 6 months of my life. It was hard to convince someone that you need some sugar in some form in order to live. He was absolutley unbearable! He lost nearly 40 pounds of weight he did not need to loose, he was literally skin and bones. Oh, and after almost ruining our marriage, his GI signs never did resolve with the diet. It was a great diet to loose weight though!
    Lisa
    Poor guy! And poor you for having to live through it Your last statement is what really makes me question the diet. The "condition" really seems to cover almost any symptom you could conjur up and the diet is so restrictive that I would think it takes care of many concerns in addition to feeding yeast. I'm sure it addresses gluten intolerance, food allergies, etc. While I'm getting desperate to get my symptoms in check I'd also really like to know what I'm truly dealing with so I can make the life changes that exactly address my problem.

While I am all for no sugar or processed foods in your diet, your brain actually needs sugars to function. Complex-carbs for instance.

Yes there are people out there that have an overabundance to the candida yeast in their gut, but I feel that it could be taken care of with a proper, whole foods, clean diet.

Eat lots of yogurt. Seriously. Once or twice a day. It will help lots.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01