The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Saddle Cover Options...

As September has rolled around I have a question about the inevitable (at least in my neck of the woods).

Does anyone know of a good waterproof saddle cover that can be ridden in? The one that came with my saddle claimed to be 'waterproof' but soaked through right away the first time I tried using it during a summer storm.

As someone living on the 'wet coast' I'd love a good option to keep my saddle dry during the weeks on end of rain that I know are impending!

Thanks in advance

My friend and I were thinking about making one with pleather! How tacky would that be?

I have this one and I like it. I live in the PNW. It fits well and has enough sticky.

http://www.theoriginalhorsetackcompa...p/in239980.htm

CWD makes one, its a red waterproof fabric with covered slots to let the leathers and irons through. I never rode in it though, I just used it as protection for my saddle when it wasn't being ridden in. You can get them directly from CWD, I think its about $30 or $40.

I have a CWD one that came with my saddle. Unfortunately it's not all that waterproof - it soaked through very quickly

Quote Originally Posted by LastCall9 View Post
    I have a CWD one that came with my saddle. Unfortunately it's not all that waterproof - it soaked through very quickly
    The standard cover that comes with the saddle is not waterproof, there is another one which didn't come out until a couple of years ago, and at the time it had to be purchased separately. That's the one that has the slots for your leathers/irons to pull through. If that is the one you had that soaked through, I would complain to CWD and ask for a replacement. You might also want to spray it with a waterproofing product, which are easy to find, the shoemakers usually sell them.

I hate saddle covers. They move around and make crunchy noises. My older jumper is terrified of the noise and I'm more likely to get dumped than stay dry. The younger guy is fine with crunching noises, but still not a favorite solution!

I bought an old, functional but worn Wintec dressage saddle from ebay for $100. I only use it in inclement weather but it preserves my good saddles perfectly and was not much more expensive than a good saddle cover. It is much more pleasant to ride in. Add a hose-and-go type girth and you are set.