The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Revolution -- The TV Show

I see that this is a new show for this Fall. Set in the future, it's 15 years after all the electricity went off permanently, all over the world. Everyone is now living a much simpler, agrarian lifestyle. Sounds interesting.

Ever since I first heard about this show, there has been a book nagging at the back of my mind. I read it years ago, when I was a teenager. It was about this very thing, and I suppose I remember it so well because there was one part in it where a serious plague beset the horses in this new and primitive world. There was a vaccine produced but they could not make it in enough quantity to save all of the horses. So, the horses that they chose to save were the useful ones, that could pull a plow, or a buggy, or carry a rider safely and reliably over long distances. I think that Thoroughbreds were not considered any of those and were doomed. That was only a tiny part of the story. The rest of the book was just plain interesting.

I just wonder if anyone else remembers that book, maybe knows the title or author?
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    . So, the horses that they chose to save were the useful ones, that could pull a plow, or a buggy, or carry a rider safely and reliably over long distances. ?
    so they wanted a Morgan horse

are you referring to "The Hunger Games" as the other book?

Louise is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    so they wanted a Morgan horse

are you referring to "The Hunger Games" as the other book?
    Well, there's nothing like a good Morgan, for an all-around horse, for sure.

Thank you, clanter, but, I was a teenager long before the Hunger Games author was even born. I read this book in the early 1960's.

The Earth Abides maybe? It was a plague that wiped mankind out and I don't remember anything about horses but it has been ages since I read it last.

Louise is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Pussy Cat View Post
    The Earth Abides maybe? It was a plague that wiped mankind out and I don't remember anything about horses but it has been ages since I read it last.
    Oh, I think I read that, years ago, as well. Might be worth a re-read! This book was not nearly the quality of The Earth Abides. It was definitely the failure of everything mechanical that started the crisis. It might have been one of those young adult sci fi novels that were so popular around that time. We were, after all, going to the moon!