The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Stubben Saddles New

So, I am still searching for a saddle for my guy. My guy is an OTTB with large shoulder muscles and not much for withers. I am thinking of a wider tree so as not to pinch his shoulders. I tried a used Jaguar that was too small for me. So the local tackshop we only have one, has Stubben saddles and I really like the adelwiess (sp?). Any thoughts ? The review I read was positive except for horse fit on the typical horse, but clearly my young TB is not the typical horse.

Stubben has a rep who will come out and measure your horse. Then you pick the saddle up from the tack store. You should be able to get something that fits that way.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

Stubbens are fantastic saddles, they have been making saddles a long, long time. I highly recommend them.

I love mine. It's old and has held up very well. Comfortable for me and my horse and fits quite a few different back shapes.

I started out with Stubben, my kids did, and we are still riding in them. We have the rep come out to advise on tree size and style for our horses when we are ordering. He does a great job, and the saddle is made and shipped. No complaints with their service.
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

Stubben still has several Edelweis in their saddle sale - they have both the CS tree & the NT tree available.
    You might also like the Genesis

If possible have a Stubben rep help fit your horse, or trailer into the tack shop, then take the best options home for some test rides

I have 3 ancient Stubbens and I love them to death. One of my best friends talked me into selling her my old Siegfried, but the other two you will have to pry from my cold, dead hands.

I have a Stubben Edelweiss NT that I custom ordered in 2006. I love my saddle! I got a new OTTB back in January of this year, and had some trouble getting my Stubben and Bates to fit. I was riding him in the Bates with various padding configurations to get the pommel of my saddle high enough for him. The Stubben also sat too low over his withers. I ended up calling a local saddle fitter and was thrilled that she was able to make my beloved Stubben work for my horse. After riding in the Bates for a few years, I was thrilled that my riding issues were due to the Bates saddle and went away once back into my Stubben.

My saddle fitter ended up cutting a couple of stitches in the panels and was able to stuff enough wool into the saddle to lift it high enough, or fill in the hollows in his wither area, so that it works beautifully for him now. I actually need to have her come back out to recheck since I think he has filled out a little bit since I have now been able to work him consistently. This is another great thing about these saddles, they are wool flocked and can be adjusted for the horse. I absolutely love my Stubben!

Stubbens are not trendy saddles, but they are of excellent quality and will last a lifetime if cared for.

I have a Stubben Siegfried that I bought used in 1979, and it is still my favorite saddle. I have had the billets replaced once. My DD learned to ride in the same Stubben Rex I used when I was a child. My sister's Siegfried (also purchased used in the 70s) was passed down to my DD. All three Stubbens are still going strong.

The Edelweiss is an excellent choice if you want a close contact saddle. I honestly don't understand why they aren't more popular.