The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default language pet peeves

I work for a large, scientific organization. I read many papers and reports. Here are some words that make me want to take up heavy equipment operating instead of my chosen profession, with preferred alternates.

1. utilize-use
    2. authored-WROTE
    3. massive-big, large
    4. orientate-ORIENT
    5. commingled-mixed

Have you any to add?
    friend of bar.ka

I am dressed up. These wellies are clean.

individuals - people

herein, hereunto, herewith (etc.) - just change the sentence so that 21st century people can read it please!
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

When I worked in a Tox lab one of our vets used "Euthanitize". I've always used and still prefer "Euthanize".
    Sue
    Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you!

To be really nit picky, there are differences between "authoring" and "writing" a paper. I've authored papers that I have not written. I've written papers that I was not the primary author on.

The utilize/use thing has like an entire chapter dedicated to it in Stunk and White.

ETA: in the scientific writing community, "authoring" has a very specific meaning. "Writing" does not.

I hate the term "Baby Daddy".

*gag* it's so Jerry Springer.
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

twotrudoc, you seriously need to come do a ride-along with me. Baby Daddy is not Springer (anymore). Nor is Baby Mama. It's pretty much a legal way of identifying relationships now, since such "relationships" are so short-lived...though apparently very, ahem, productive.

Language pet peeves though, hmmm, no not really. Not a big fan of comma abuse though. Poor comma, just trying to do his job, so misunderstood.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post

Language pet peeves though, hmmm, no not really. Not a big fan of comma abuse though. Poor comma, just trying to do his job, so misunderstood.
    Oh god I'm so bad at commas. I'm incredibly comma-happy, to the point where I'll read through my cover letters and delete like half of them. Which sometimes puts me at the other end of comma abuse, not using them when you need them.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

I suppose it is because I did take Latin, French and Spanish
    in school, but it bugs me to see borrow words used or
    spelled wrong. It is from the Latin and two words
    et cetera
    so it is etc. and not ect. Likewise, it is also Latin
    per se
    meaning for (or by) itself and not persay.

And the French term meaning "look at that" is
    voila (with accent over the final a)
    from the verb voir meaning look or see and the article
    la. It is not wallah or other creative English spelling.
    Robin from Dancing Horse Hill
    Elmwood, Wisconsin

"orientate"
    "conversate" "We were just conversating in the break room."

I hate initials. I'm even seeing prayer lists now where the people we're supposed to pray for have conditions I can't identify and really don't have time to look up online. Somebody on COTH asked earlier today if anyone knew ASL. I finally figured they meant American Sign Language but at first all I could think of was some fairly common disease/condition I'd recently seen on a prayer list that used to have a familiar name but now has initials. Of course, I didn't KNOW it was a fairly common thing with a familiar name until I looked the initials up ... ) The other day my former doctor asked me about a C T Scan. Is that the same thing as a CAT scan? CAT I can remember. C T ? ???

I still don't know the initials for those car navigation devices. And some of the initials of things take longer to say than the words themselves--and the words make sense. The initlals are just combinations of letters that aren't even acronyms.

And I really got irritated yesterday when I was reading a greeting card I'd thought of buying ... until I came to the last line. "Hope this card does it's work."

PEOPLE! It's "its" work. When greeting card companies can't check for grammar, then things are pretty bad.

TV meteorologists who use jargon when they're tracking tornadoes heading right towards us. I don't want to know about hook echoes and bow whatevers. I want to know if the thing's on the ground.

And if I hear or read one more person say or write "I'm going to go home and lay down" or "I wish I would have gone home to lay down," I swear I am going to lay into them, remotely I hope. The incorrect use of grammar is spreading like a plague and the breakdown of a civilization's language is, I think, one of the signs of the breakdown of the civilization itself.

OK, while I have the soapbox: last night I was at a McDonald's. There was a sign on the counter. "Gift this gift certificate."

OK. It was bad enough when people started saying, "I'm going to gift my friends this Christmas." Now McDonald's people are wanting us to gift gift certificates.

Don't these things just hurt these people's ears? Are they tone deaf?

Gack.
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

I like languages and their evolution, dialects, all connected with how we choose to communicate verbally.

I understand misspelling and other grammatical mistakes happen.
    I don't understand when someone learns there is a right way to write and then take offense and keep misspelling the words.

I have seen several lately spelling "palpitating" for "palpate", a rather salient difference in meaning there.
    I am afraid to explain there is a difference, as they tend to get mad at me if I point that out.

When I learn something new or different than I knew, I am thankful to be told the proper way and happy to use the new knowledge.
    Maybe because I start from the premise that I don't know much?

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    twotrudoc, you seriously need to come do a ride-along with me. Baby Daddy is not Springer (anymore). Nor is Baby Mama. It's pretty much a legal way of identifying relationships now, since such "relationships" are so short-lived...though apparently very, ahem, productive.

My ex-boyfriend (and not a Baby Daddy LOL!!! *shudder) is a cop out in Gig Harbor. He's the one the Pierce County Deputies call "Tackleberry" From him I found out that his job title is actually called "The PoPo" I learned all kinds of funny slang words while dating him. I did get to ride in the new black and whites that (then new) Chief Davis brought to the Harbor P.D., the whole town loves those!

He's the one that also accidentally mistook my trainers 17 hand chestnut Warmblood prelim event horse for his 15 hand chestnut slightly out of shape stock horse, he tried to swing his big ole western saddle on to no avail. One of the Sgts (still there!) was there as well as my patient and forgiving trainer.
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

donator - donor

(what started this trend?)

A little off topic but a new word that came around for us seniors:

exhaustipated means you're too tired to give a $hit!
    Sue
    Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you!

I'm a medical transcriptionist, so this is one from the reports I type. I hear it dozens of times any given day.

"was noted to" -

As in, "The patient was noted to have chest pain." "The patient was noted to have vomiting." "The patient was noted to have taken an overdose at home." "The patient was noted to be bleeding." "The patient was noted to wake up at 5:00 a.m. this morning at his house, when he was noted to be having leg cramps." "The patient was noted to be living with his son and daughter-in-law." "The patient was noted to have gone on vacation to Vegas last week." Etc., etc.

What's wrong with just saying: "The patient had chest pain." "The patient had vomiting." "The patient had taken an overdose at home." "The patient had bleeding." "The patient woke up at 5:00 a.m. this morning at his house when he was having leg cramps." "The patient is living with his son and daughter-in-law." "The patient went on vacation to Vegas last week."

But nope, docs just LOVE that "was noted to." By far most uses of it have nothing to do with something the doc himself visually observed and are just a repetition of patient history. I guess they think it sounds more professional. I shouldn't complain, as it technically gives me more lines, but I think it sounds stupid, especially 15 times in a report.

My pet peeve is with the younger folks who seem to have a weird tic of putting the word "like" involuntarily into every sentence or particle an average of 6 times a minute:

It's, like, y'know how I feel, like it's HOT out and I'm like SWEATING, and, like, how do I turn on the AC?

Drives me like, bonkers.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampYankee View Post
    My pet peeve is with the younger folks who seem to have a weird tic of putting the word "like" involuntarily into every sentence or particle an average of 6 times a minute:

It's, like, y'know how I feel, like it's HOT out and I'm like SWEATING, and, like, how do I turn on the AC?

Drives me like, bonkers.
    I have lost track of entire conversations because I get hung up on counting how many times the other party says, "like".

Quote Originally Posted by SwampYankee View Post

Drives me like, bonkers.
    Do you think that they, like, will talk like that when they grow up?

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Do you think that they, like, will talk like that when they grow up?
    Sadly, they do.

I had a wonderful English teacher in high school who, after one of my classmates had given a technically correct answer to a question about some Greek work or other, stared at my classmate in silence and said: "I'm sorry. I did my best to listen to you and understand. Unfortunately you just used the word 'like' in a grammatically incorrect fashion 20 times in two minutes."

Lesson accomplished.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

People who keep saying "You know" in interviews. If the interviewer knows, as well as the audience, why would there be any reason for the interview?

"You know what I'm saying." (see above)

Job ads that tell the applicant how to apply TO the job. Applicants apply TO companies FOR jobs.

Job descriptions that say the person in the position will, if hired, be responsible TO do certain tasks. People who have jobs are responsible FOR doing certain tasks. They are responsible TO the company, their supervisor, etc.

i wish all English-language movie and TV scripts had to be looked at by script doctors, not to make the dialogue more scintillating but to make it correct, so that audiences would hear correct English being spoken and might actually learn how to speak it themselves. New form of censoring that might actually have a positive effect on people.
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

Quote Originally Posted by dressagetraks View Post
    I

But nope, docs just LOVE that "was noted to." By far most uses of it have nothing to do with something the doc himself visually observed and are just a repetition of patient history. I guess they think it sounds more professional. I shouldn't complain, as it technically gives me more lines, but I think it sounds stupid, especially 15 times in a report.
    If that's what it means, then it actually is like "wrote" versus "authored"--it means something. If the doctor, using "was noted", means "in their record, it said they vomited" or "in the notes from the intake nurse in the ER it said that they vomited" that's VERY different from "the patient vomited" (ie, was observed to do it.)

Wellspotted: I believe "CT scan" is more correct term than "CaT" scan (I don't think there's actually anything in the machine's full name that gives the "A".)

Blugal: If people can't figure out legalese, lawyers can't charge you to write it (though if people can't figure out "herein" they probably shouldn't be reading and signing contracts themselves anyway.)

My #1 pet peeve: "ATM machine", "PIN number", etc. You are saying "Automated Teller Machine Machine", "Personal Identification Number", VIN is another one that gets that a lot.

#2: "Irregardless" isn't a word. Just say "regardless."

#3: Unless you mean the point is silent, the point is not mute, the point is MOOT.