The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default IF I knew who did this....

UPDATE ON LITTLE BETSY (PJ) NOW SUSIE Q
    I just came in from the vet's and had to let you all know. Little Betsy (Susie Q now)
    has just bloomed already! I couldn't believe it. She's a butterball and so full of energy and a happy happy pup.

She is going to be a fantastic dog for someone. If you pick her up she is happy to just be snuggled under your chin. If you put her down she is a fire ball, beating up on her toys and having a ball.

They said the fleas had nearly sucked the little thing dry, to the point that she was swaying on her feet with weakness. She was full of worms, had to be treated for coccidia, was really really thirsty and drank and drank when she came in. They have started her on her shots.

Vet's wife said that ONLY a known person who wants her as a house dog would be considered as an owner for Susie Q's when it was time.

I cried. I was so happy to see her now and see how she is doing.

Lavender Farm, thank you so much for your generous gift to Susie Q. The vet is going to mail you a picture of her.
    They said your gift will cover everything that this little girl needed/needs and they appreciate it very much.
    While I mentioned that they love the ones who can't pay their way just the same your very generous gift made Susie one of the ones who can pay her own way. Blessings to you and thank you for loving this teeny girl you've never met.

All the forty five minutes from the Vet I realized I was smiling. My heart feels so happy and warm,

One more thing I thought was so cute. Vet's wife said she was sitting out in the yard with Susie and Susie brought her a pine cone. She then went back and got another and then another and then more and more. By the time they were ready to come in she said Susie had gifted her with a whole pile of pine cones. What a sweet little girl.
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    I guess I just need to vent. I am so angry it would not do for me to find out who the piece of scum is who put this appx. five week old pup out on a busy road and left her.

I was coming back from the groc. store and saw up ahead a teeny puppy standing in the middle of the road with cars passing her on both sides. Fortunately she just stood there as otherwise she would be a tiny little grease spot now.
    I swung my car across the road so traffic had to stop on both sides and jumped out of the car to get her. When I did she toddled/ran towards the woods and fell into a ditch chest high on me. I jumped in after her and she just stayed there for me to pick her up.

All the cars waiting were very patient and waited while I struggled to get my old body out of the ditch, pup in one hand and trying to pull out with the other.

Safely in the car I put her into the passenger side seat, released the traffic and thought what to do. I CANNOT have another dog and if I took her home I know she would be there forever as is the puppy from last year and the kitten from a few months ago. AHA! I'll take her straight to our shelter. They'll take care of her.
    On the way to the shelter I'm telling "Betsy" that I'm really sorry I can't offer her a home but not to worry. They'll take care of her and find her a wonderful home.
    This little thing crawled in my lap and went to sleep.

Big surprise. When I got to the shelter they could not take her. Said they were full.
    Again!! That's what happened with the pup from last year who now calls my home their home.

I didn't know what to do. I already have four dogs, three cats, two horses and five birds. I'm OLD. I don't need to take on anymore animals much less very young ones.

I finally thought to call our wonderful Vet and Glory Glory they said they would take her. They often have pups and kittens that nobody wants and they get them healthy and find them homes. They said first thing they needed to do was get all the fleas off, poor little thing was covered.
    I feel so blessed to have such a wonderful Vet who really cares for animals, even those that can't pay their way.

Anyhow through venting but y'all send "knocks upside the head vibes" to whoever was rotten enough to dump this sweet little pup.
    Last edited by pj; Sep. 12, 2012 at 01:35 PM. Reason: update
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

Under a rock, up in the hills of Sage, So. Calif, southeast of Hemet & north east of Temecula

Many blessings to you & your vet for the great kindness & compassion to Betsy.
    And may a million fleas take up residence in the dumper's bed.
    There is no such thing as "bad" horsemanship or "good" horsemanship. There is simply Horsemanship or the absence thereof.

www.oldmorgans.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by OldMorgans View Post
    Thank you and I LOVE the million fleas in their bed.
    That's even better than knocks upside their head!
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

Thank goodness for people like you.

Good job, pj!!

PM me info on your vet and I'll send a little to help with the puppy's care there.

Love you PJ for what you've done!
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

Thank you for doing the right thing. You just earned another star in your crown!!!

Quote Originally Posted by OldMorgans View Post
    THIS.

and I'll add: "may those 10^6 fleas also infest that person's underwear drawer."

The world needs more people like you PJ! As I sit here with 5 dogs bouncing around me, I raise my glass of red wine to you and one for your vet too

...and those million fleas in the underwear drawer shall infest Its crotch for a million years!

You're the best, pj! I bet it feels pretty darn good to have saved a life.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Quote Originally Posted by LavenderFarm View Post
    Good job, pj!!

PM me info on your vet and I'll send a little to help with the puppy's care there.
    LavenderFarm, what a lovely lovely thing for you to do. I'm sure they will appreciate it and little "Betsy" would, too. I do, too, thank you.
    Will PM you.

Quote Originally Posted by SnicklefritzG View Post
    THIS.

and I'll add: "may those 10^6 fleas also infest that person's underwear drawer."
    I'm not so nice I guess because I am throughly enjoying the image of this person with fleas in their bed and their underwear.
    Let's have leeches in their bath or shower, too!!

Default Update on little "Betsy"

Update on little "Betsy"
    Called the vet this morning and they said she is doing fine.
    They bathed her yesterday and got the fleas and wormed her.

I feel really good about where she is and her future now but it is a sad feeling to be at a stage in my life where I know I have to say no to more animals.
    Of course if I hadn't been able to find a safe place for her yesterday she would have been right here and I'd be saying "I have five dogs". I had said no more before the last puppy and kitten.
    It is a blessing that it worked out this way.

And thank you all for the "flea vibes" you are sending to this person.
    I love it.

pj - the thanks is to you for saving Betsy and to your vet who is so kind to help animals out of the goodness of her heart. Received your PM and will get a check off first of the week.

Some years ago, there was a group who posted on CoTH who brought pets out of high-kill shelters in GA and headed them north for adoption. My wonderful dog Chico came from a high-kill shelter outside Atlanta. He's been such a joy.

Just paying it back (or forward, or whatever).

pj - the thanks is to you for saving Betsy and to your vet who is so kind to help animals out of the goodness of her heart. Received your PM and will get a check off first of the week.

Some years ago, there was a group who posted on CoTH who brought pets out of high-kill shelters in GA and headed them north for adoption. My wonderful dog Chico came from a high-kill shelter outside Atlanta. He's been such a joy.

Just paying it back (or forward, or whatever).
    Our shelter isn't a high kill shelter and they send dogs (mostly puppies) north. Thus the reason they stay so full. Only agressive dogs or dogs so sick they are beyond repair are put down. If we weren't fortunate enough to have the States to take our pups I guess we would have to become a kill shelter.

Our shelter has gone so far as to have a little dogs leg amputated, one had to have hip surgery from a horrific injury she'd been living with for some time evidently.
    I am very proud of our shelter. The citizens of the county worked very hard to get a shelter and get it up and going. They still work very hard, donating, holding flea markets, trail rides, etc. Unfortunately our county can not give us very much money. The whole shelter has been a labor of love from many.

I know that many of our puppies have have gone to Washington State and have gone to Michigan. Not sure of where else. We are fifty miles from Atlanta.
    Wouldn't it be amazing if your little guy came from Meriwether County in Ga.?

Chico came from the Clayton County shelter. I adopted him in 2007.

I meant no harm to other shelters in GA - and good for your shelter to do such a good job. My sincere thanks to those who work with shelters everywhere to find good homes for all the dogs and cats.

I meant no harm to other shelters in GA.
    I didn't take anything you said as being critical in any way.
    There are MANY shelters in Georgia that we aren't proud of for sure.
    I think they should be called pounds instead of shelters.
    I just take every chance I can to brag on ours. We waited for a long long time to get one. Wild dogs used to be a really bad problem in the area.
    No shelter and unwanted pups and dogs often got dumped on one of our many timber lands, you can imagine how that went. You had huge packs in no time at all.
    Sad that we still have some dumping going on.
    I'm sorry if I made you think that I thought you were being critical.

I would love to see a picture of your Chico.

You are awesome PJ. So is your vet. So is your shelter. It's tough having that many animals. I'm sure you make a lot of sacrifices for them. Great puppy story. Karma will get them what done it.

Much good juju coming your way PJ! What a great thing that you've done for the little girl!

I do suggest that they change her name to PJ... it only fits .
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.