The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default boarding barns and territorial aggressive dogs

Am I the only one who thinks it's a horrible idea? I was quite dismayed to learn that the BO's dog(s) are a concern for anyone not approaching the house/dogs correctly..?? They aren't always loose but when they are outside they aren't restrained in any way. I get that it's their private property but as a boarding barn with a 4h group it seems fairly irresponsible to have dogs with known territorial aggression.

This is a new boarding barn for us and I am blown away. This wasn't discussed on the initial tour and only came up when my children needed to use the restroom (in the house/none in barn). My horse is already there and had plans to move another there shortly. What do I even say to him? My kids all ride but are all under 10. I definitely can't stay at a barn where I have to worry every time they need to use the restroom

I think it's a very, VERY bad idea.

How big are these dogs? Child face level-ish?

This is interesting on a couple of different levels. I do think that the dogs should be prevented from approaching boarders or others with permission to be at the barn. Obviously any dog that has a tendency to be guardy needs to be closely monitored with strangers, and especially on the dog's home turf. Allowing the dogs to approach people on their own is a mistake which could eventually result in serious problems, which is a shame for the dogs and could be a financial problem for the barn owners. Personally, I would use fencing to keep the dogs at the house and take them to the barn only on leash or under voice control.
    Frankly, I am not cut out to be a barn owner, but I can never envision these situations where people have boarders coming in to use their house restroom. That would be a real problem for me (but I might be as territorial as their dogs are). Now, knowing what you know, I would just say that you and your kids probably just can't use the bathroom in the house. If a dog is acting protective and barky towards me, then I believe them and back off. There is no way that I would try to make my way through that. You might have to find a new barn or ask if there are any plans to put in a porta-potty due to the dogs.

Dogs are absolutely face level for my youngest. My kids have grown up around danes and definitely aren't dog shy but they aren't fond of ones that are obviously unfriendly (regardless of size).

I haven't seen the larger dogs come into the barn, only the JRT. They just lurk around the house when they are out. I know mine aren't the only young ones floating around. I'm hoping to talk to him this week...I'll let you know how it goes!

Quote Originally Posted by g8dgirls View Post
    Dogs are absolutely face level for my youngest.
    if this were me, I'd have to really think hard about staying.

talk to them and see, perhaps they don't understand what could happen to them if a dog bite occurs.

I got bitten by the BO's dogs. I wasn't even close to the first person to be bitten. One of the reasons I left.

A nice conversation and quality time of my own with the dogs is in order. If they are as aggressive as he has made them out to be we definitely won't be staying. It just sucks because the board is uber reasonable for this area and current circumstances within my family cause be to need to board them for the winter. That said, I'm obviously not willing to risk my children's well being for a convenient board bill

Quote Originally Posted by g8dgirls View Post
    A nice conversation and quality time of my own with the dogs is in order. If they are as aggressive as he has made them out to be we definitely won't be staying. It just sucks because the board is uber reasonable for this area and current circumstances within my family cause be to need to board them for the winter. That said, I'm obviously not willing to risk my children's well being for a convenient board bill
    that is a reasonable approach. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

I would also sit down and have a chat with your kids about how to approach these dogs, and why it's important to approach them the way that you've instructed.

I agree that your approach is a good one. I hope you can come to a solution that is safe for everyone.

Remember that dogs can be ok with an adult, but not ok with the kidlets. I wouldn't expect a kid to read body language if one of the dogs goes from at rest to on guard. Things can go south in a flash.
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE THEM.

Quote Originally Posted by threedogpack View Post
    I think it's a very, VERY bad idea.

How big are these dogs? Child face level-ish?
    Doesn't matter what level these dogs reach the children. I was bitten by my cousin's territorial/aggessive boxer on the leg and nearly lost it from the severity of the bite. This was when I was 13, and I was with my aunt and uncle at the time who said I should worry about the dog.

Please consider moving.
    "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
    "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!

I've been at barns that had a port-a-potty for clients. I can't imagine using someone's bathroom in their house.
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/

So I am definitely moving. The dogs are fine outside but it's a real PITA to have to go to the door each time the girls need to go to the bathroom (and they aren't always home). As if that weren't motivation enough...they aren't turning out consistently, feed on an irregular schedule, and someone USED/MOVED my saddle (no reason to move, not in the way of anyone). So we're out of there on the 15th! (this is where the lack of a contract is excellent!)