The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default County dressage saddles - tell me about what you have : )

I have been a long time fan of County saddles, my main jump saddle is a stabilizer and I'd love to find a County dressage saddle now, too. Which County model do you have, and what do you like about it?

Specifically I hope to learn what rider and horse body types work best in which models and how they compare in feel; I am only 5' tall so prefer a narrow twist and short flaps (also flaps that aren't super wide, otherwise I look like a kid in their Moms saddle). Seat medium-deep range. The horse that I'd like to fit works well in MN stabilizers and N innovation jump saddles with skid row panels. He has high withers and a very flat back, id like to find a model with a wide gullet channel and a deep rear gusset.

So far Ive noticed that the WB dressage seems to run a bit wider than the jump trees, so I bet in that one I'd need a N. How's the connection? Others? Thanks for your input everyone!
    Blacktree Farm
    Lessons, training & sporthorse sales. Proud supporter of our buckskin German Warmblood stallion, Yeager GF.
    Blacktree Studio
    Graphic Design, Web Design & Photography.

I'm a big fan of County saddles and got my 3 off the demo list. If you have a fitter you can work with maybe she could keep her eye out for one that would fit if there wasn't one currently on the list. I think they are running their 20% off sale ATM

I'm 5'4" and this is I riding in my 18" Connection with short flaps.
    https://picasaweb.google.com/carolp3...52132904429762
    Sorry I don't have a still. The saddle looks bigger than it is, if you look closely you can see there is a green shaped pad that doesn't contrast well with the saddle
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

I have ridden in County Perfections for a number of years. The first one was bought for my TB dressage horse. He has the typical TB withers and build; his required "skid row" panels and a medium-narrow tree which worked great. New horse, warmblood mare who I describe as "curvy". She wears a wide/XW tree and is more of a challenge to fit, but the fitter comes through regularly and has been very helpful.
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

I have been riding in a County Connection, short flap 17", medium tree. I am 5'1" and it fits me well and I liked the saddle. Just bought a new horse and of course this saddle doesn't fit (need a MW to W for new horse). Had County saddle fitter come out and tried the Perfection and the Fusion. Could not find my seat/balance in the Perfection but liked the Fusion (the one I tried had a standard flap which was way too long). The Fusion is built on the same tree as the Coneection so it makes sense that it felt comfortable to me. I have a 17" short flap Fusion demo saddle on the way to try. If you don't like a big external block, you may not like the Fusion. The Connection's block is not external and is less restricting.

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by RayRay View Post
    I have been riding in a County Connection, short flap 17", medium tree. I am 5'1" and it fits me well and I liked the saddle. Just bought a new horse and of course this saddle doesn't fit (need a MW to W for new horse). Had County saddle fitter come out and tried the Perfection and the Fusion. Could not find my seat/balance in the Perfection but liked the Fusion (the one I tried had a standard flap which was way too long). The Fusion is built on the same tree as the Coneection so it makes sense that it felt comfortable to me. I have a 17" short flap Fusion demo saddle on the way to try. If you don't like a big external block, you may not like the Fusion. The Connection's block is not external and is less restricting.

Hope that helps.
    I've been leaning so far toward the connection since I know of another petite rider that loves hers (and looks good in it, it fits her leg well). Good to know about how it compares to the fusion, too.

Great info so far guys, thank you and please keep it coming!
    Blacktree Farm
    Lessons, training & sporthorse sales. Proud supporter of our buckskin German Warmblood stallion, Yeager GF.
    Blacktree Studio
    Graphic Design, Web Design & Photography.

I have an older County Competitor. It's very well made, and it fits my horse like a glove, but unfortunately it doesn't fit me well at all. I'm 5'6", but I have a fairly long femur and a tiny foot, and the geometry makes it darn near impossible for me to get my heels in line with my hips.

My mare is an Anglo-Trakehner, very normal medium width (fits the #3 tree perfectly), but with a TB shaped topline - somewhat curvy with well defined withers.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

I have a County Drespri that I just adore despite it being a bit on the ugly side.

I'm not particularly tall but I have nearly a 36" inseam, and in particular, a quite long thigh. I tried a couple of saddles before that just didn't have enough flap even in an 18" seat.

With the flap in the uppermost position, I can actually ride with a jumping leather without my knee popping over the front.

I just started some dressage work and started using the flap in the lowest position this week. It's a little more forward than most dressage saddles, which is awesome for me, because I find that in one of those very vertical flapped saddles with blocks/rolls, in order to not have my knee pop over the front of the flap, my thigh has to be close to vertical which either has my locking my knee and pushing my foot forward and lower leg off the horse, or iwth a soft knee, my foot falls too far behind me and makes me fight for my balance. Not nice and not comfortable.

I also like the balance in the seat pretty well- it has a nice flat working spot that lets me choose my upper body position.

Only downside is that the #5 tree is just not quite wide enough for my Saddlebred. But I am otherwise so fond of it that I am sending it in to Schurer Saddlery to reflock and possibly widen the tree as well.