The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

If you are interested in how Purina formulates their feeds please read the following article:

http://horse.purinamills.com/stellen...d2-0033376.pdf

They aren't fixed formula but they aren't least cost and, if you read through the article, you will see that they are potentially more nutritionally consistent then most products.

How can they be more nutritionally more consistent when the ingredients can change from one bag to the next? Maybe it's just me but I like to know what's in my boys feed from one day to the next.
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

I have used both feeds...and I really wanted to like the Fibregized better. It looks and smells so great! But my horses were quieter and just blossomed on the Ultium. Shiny, dappled coats, held weight better, just looked like a million bucks. So that's what I use.

Another shout-out for Ultium...I switched my GP horse from a senior feed to Ultium and he became quieter, more reliable and more focused in work, and has kept weight on reliably (which, as an older 18 hand horse is not so easy). My OTTB is also on Ultium, and in the first year off the track is an incredibly sensible, hardworking boy, with hardly a spook in him. Fibergized may work great, but Ultium works really well for us.

Well, the dentist came out today and said my horse definitely needed his teeth done (in spite of the previous dentist saying he didn't need them done for the last two years in a row, grr). And I'm trying the switch from Ultium to Fibregized Omega. So hopefully between the two, he'll start putting on some weight. I'll update in a month or two with the results!
    RIP Victor... I'll miss you, you big galumph.

I would pick Ultium over Fibregized, especially for my current mare but also just from experience. I was at a barn that switched to Fibregized. We had 4 or 5 chokes in 1 week. All from horses with no prior history as chokers. If I had to feed Fibregized for whatever reason I would be sure to soak it to a mash to make sure they can't choke on it.

My current horse was on Ultium for a little while after I switched her off off Triple Crown Complete, which made her completely insane. I chose Ultium for the lower NSC, I believe its about 11% to the TC's 18% (I think, I can't remember exactly, so I could be wrong, I know it was a lot higher) and Fibregized has an NSC of 19%, so she will probably never eat that. She has since been switched to Hallway Feed's Fibrenergy which has an NSC of 7%. She loves it and it has made all the difference in the world for her. She is finally calm and quiet and rideable again.

Why would the horses be more prone to choke on Fibregized?

My horse is currently on Triple Crown Complete and he is going to a barn that feeds Fibregized. I'm concerned about whether it will make him hot (he can already be hot!), so if anyone has any thoughts on that from experience, I would appreciate that too.

Have been doing searches and going through any threads that mention Pennfield Fibregized to see what I can learn.

My horse has been on it for about 2 months and has not choked on it, so I'm not speaking from experience... BUT my guess would be because it's sticky, so it's prone to forming lumps. At my barn, we make up the feed buckets a day in advance -- by the time we go to feed, the Fibregized has solidified into a solid mass at the bottom of the bucket. I just stir it up and add a little bit of water, and I have not had any problems.

My picky eater/hard keeper LOVES it and comes galloping across the field at feeding time, and he's put on at least 50 pounds since switching from Ultium. He's an Arab who can get high as a kite on sweet feed, but he's fine on the Fibregized Omega.
    RIP Victor... I'll miss you, you big galumph.

Sorry for the bump, but this seems to be the best place to ask, though not a feeding question... are Ultium and Fibregized/Fibregized Omega bags 40 or 50 lbs? Thanks!
    You know you're a horse person when your mother, who has no grandchildren, gets cards addressed to Grandma, signed by the horses, cats, and dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by PonyGal08 View Post
    Sorry for the bump, but this seems to be the best place to ask, though not a feeding question... are Ultium and Fibregized/Fibregized Omega bags 40 or 50 lbs? Thanks!
    50lbs.