The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ultium vs Fibregized

They seem awfully similar on paper -- has anyone used both? Do you have a preference?
    RIP Victor... I'll miss you, you big galumph.

Fibergized, all the way.

First off, it's fixed formula and fixed ingredients. They use the exact same things to make it, every bag. It never changes, where as Ultium will change a little depending on what's cheaper, etc.

Also, most of the horses I fed Ultium to were high as kites and varying degrees of homicidal. Don't get that at all with Fibergized. Everyone seems to run cool.

I have and my horses do much better on the Fibregized Omega. That being that I may be biased as I'm a very loyal Pennfield user.
    Quote Originally Posted by EquineImagined View Post
    My subconscious is a wretched insufferable beotch.

Fibergized. I switched my half-Arab to it after being on TC Lite and noticed a HUGE difference. He was a lot more spooky and nutty on the TC Lite, and on the Fibergized he was back to his calm n' cool self.

Too bad they're pulling out of CA, so now I can't feed it anymore. Great feed.

Fibregized, definitely. Did wonders for my mare and Pennfield is a good name, IMO.

I have used both and currently feed (the now KER) Fibergize. I think both are good but the KER guy delivers!

I also like that Fibergize is a fixed formulation, as well as that the easily available infomation on Fibergize is more comprehensive. I want to know what the NSC is without having to hunt all over the web for it and KER puts right there with everything else. I also tend to have faith that anything KER puts out is going to be good quality and well researched.

1 members found this post helpful.

Ultium IS fixed formula (though most Purina feeds aren't). I've never fed Pennfield, so I can't make a comparison, but Ultium has worked wonders for my hard keeper.
    Proud member of the EDRF

I have never used Ultium but my horse is on Fibregized and I have had good results with it.

Can't comment on the Fibregized other than to say I know horses that have done very well on it. DH travels too much to get it consistently and feeds Ultium instead. We haven't had any of the hot-headed issues described by others and overall I think it's a good product, for all the flak it gets on this board. Pony likes it and holds weight well on it, so here's at least one happy Ultium user.
    If it were easy, everybody would do it.

Equi-Sport Services

I have had my OTTB on ultium since probably the end of march and she has done very well on it. She had gained so much weight and her coat shines!... im happy with it
    Nothing better than an OTTB.... Just Plan Partners,Penny, you have stolen my heart<3

http://secondchancethoroughbreds.org

Quote Originally Posted by Kementari View Post
    Ultium IS fixed formula (though most Purina feeds aren't). I've never fed Pennfield, so I can't make a comparison, but Ultium has worked wonders for my hard keeper.
    That is what I thought, too, but a Purina rep told me that it is NOT a fixed formula.

My guys have been on Fibregized for many years. They all do beautifully on it. No one is *hot*, coats are all great, and they love the feed (really important - if they don't like it they won't eat it ).

Prior to switching to Fibregized I fed one of the other Pennfield formulas and everybody did great on that too. Pennfield is definitely one of the best feed companies. And the "fixed formula" is an absolute must in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by Callaway View Post
    That is what I thought, too, but a Purina rep told me that it is NOT a fixed formula.
    I suppose it depends on your definition of "fixed formula." The ingredients in the bag match the specific ingredients printed on the tag, yes. But the formulation still changes from time to time.

I switched from Ultium to Fibregized earlier this year specifically to go to a corn-free feed. Sometime between then and now, Ultium has become corn-free, per the ingredient list on the Purina site. If there was some kind of announcement from the company regarding the change in formulations, I missed it.
    "Why would anybody come here if they had a pony? Who leaves a country packed with ponies to come to a non-pony country? It doesn't make sense!"

hm, things to think about. My horse has always been kind of a hard keeper. I've had him on Ultium for a few years, and he's been doing OK on it -- not fantastic, but OK. He's working harder this year than in years past, and he's dropped some weight that I can't seem to put back on, even with adding a fat supplement (EndurExtra -- rice bran/flax/soybean oil with probiotics and some other stuff). It's frustrating, because he feels fantastic and is going better than ever before -- he's just a little skinny.

I'm working on eliminating the other possibilities (teeth, digestive issues, etc), but if those all come up OK, I'm looking at some ideas for changing his feed. Thanks for the input!
    RIP Victor... I'll miss you, you big galumph.

Have you looked at Triple Crown Senior? It's very similar to Fibregized, but lower in sugar at 11% NSC. It may be easier (and cheaper) to get and lots here will recommend it.

http://www.triplecrownfeed.com/feeds...eniorhorsefeed
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Quote Originally Posted by Callaway View Post
    Funny 'cause that's not what the Purina rep told ME...you'd think they'd all have the same story.

I noticed at one point the formula changed, but I don't consider a feed that might occasionally change their formula to be not fixed (that's just allowing for advances in knowledge/changes with the times) - it's the ones who can change every single time (like the Purina Senior - that stuff can be OBVIOUSLY different from bag to bag) that I'd worry about (if I had a horse I needed to worry about such things with).
    Proud member of the EDRF

Quote Originally Posted by Kementari View Post
    Funny 'cause that's not what the Purina rep told ME...you'd think they'd all have the same story.

I noticed at one point the formula changed, but I don't consider a feed that might occasionally change their formula to be not fixed (that's just allowing for advances in knowledge/changes with the times) - it's the ones who can change every single time (like the Purina Senior - that stuff can be OBVIOUSLY different from bag to bag) that I'd worry about (if I had a horse I needed to worry about such things with).
    I don't feed Purina, so I really wouldn't know. I just went to a nutrition seminar hosted by Purina in New Jersey, and when they were saying that non fixed formulas are better than fixed, they also said none of their feeds are fixed formulas. I actually raised my hand to ask about Ultium, which is when I was told that it is not a fixed formula. Yes, you would hope that they all had the same story!

I'd recommend Fibergized as I believe it's far superior in comparison to anything Purina...you just might want to wet the feed before you give it as I've heard many people say their horses have choked on the Fibergized

Full disclosure: the company I work for, works for Pennfield.

After 22 years in marketing, I can attest that there are ethical marketers out there and there are sleight-of-hand artists as well.

A few years ago games with the definition of "fixed formula" popped up in the marketplace, understandably confusing the consumer. I'm a big believer in plain English (although I would have thought "fixed formula" was plain enough! )

So here's my plain English position: a brand needs to say that the contents of this bag don't change in any way from lot to lot, and put that in writing. If they state something similarly clearly, there is no confusion. But be sure to ask about the specific formula, because what holds true for a top-dollar formula may not be the case for a lower end formula from the same brand.

It's a sliding scale below "truly fixed"... some brands don't change much, all the way down to least-price-costing, where you get pretty wide swings in what's in the bag.

The best way to avoid sleight-of-hand is to consider what a company doesn't say, and do your homework. After a bit it will become clear to you which companies are playing by fair rules.

I've used both on two hard-keeper TBs and had excellent results with Ultium for one, and good results with both for the other. Ultium was the best feed for my (now deceased) extra-hot jumper- it de-hotted him, along with alfalfa (he always liked to be different ), and packed on a lot of good weight. Triple Crown Senior worked well for both, too.

My favorite for my current rangy TB (and my wanna-be-fatty-pants 4 year old Dutch WB) is Triple Crown Complete, which was recently reformulated. The Dutch gets about half of what the TB does and his coat gleams, his weight is easy to maintain, and he has good muscle. The TB does amazingly well on the TCC- he's actually fat. When he was on the TC Senior I had to use a fat supplement *and* alfalfa, so TCC is the way to go for him.

I decided to stop buying from Purina because I don't like the company in general, and TC works great for both my guys- so, it's a third feed to consider (or the Senior).
    You can take a line and say it isn't straight- but that won't change its shape. Jets to Brazil