The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Riding after breast reduction

For the ladies!!!

Ok, so I'm not having breast reduction surgery in the usually sense of that term. Back story, I've always been a chubster! About 8 years ago I decided enough and lost 75lbs, woot! But then, as I'm sure most people are familiar with, there are the after effects. I consulted with a surgeon for a breast lift and he said that if he did the lift I would basically have no breasts. I never had a big chest even when I was larger. So he recommended I get implants. As a 20 year old just having guys notice me I jumped at the opportunity of "needing implants". I told him I wanted to be a C cup. Well after the surgery I was huge! He told me they would go down, it was just swelling. They never did. I've been stuck with a DD chest and I hate it! It's uncomfortable, makes clothes hard to fit and too sexy, hard to ride, etc.

Anyways, Ive always wanted them removed and now I have the surgery booked. It's 2 weeks away and I'm starting to get nervous. I was told I'd have to wait 6-8 weeks before riding again but I wanted to hear other people's experiences. How long did you wait? did it hurt afterwards and for how long?

Looking for any similar stories, thanks!
    Last edited by SherwoodAcres; Aug. 30, 2012 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Typo

There's actually a ton of threads on this already. (I know because I'm a 32E and CANNOT WAIT to get the surgery...just can't come up with 6 weeks that I can essentially do nothing for.)

I'd do a search and see what pops up.

No input - haven't had one - but I wish you well and hope you will come back and give some feedback on your experience. There have been a few threads on the OT days as well as some more recent ones on the Equestrians with Disabilities forum here where you might find some info. Please do let us know how it goes for you, there are a bunch of ladies interested in this one day!

My iPhone won't let me search! I tried three times. It it keeps taking me to one of the ad banners. If anyone could send me a link I'd appreciate it!

Well, one of them is now at the top of the Equestrians with Disabilities thread so that should make it a bit easier!

The surgery isn't particularly painful. I took a few Oxies the first 24 hours but you REALLY shouldn't do much moving around until it is all healed. My doctor said I could only lift a gallon of milk and not to do that repeatedly. IIRC someone on COTH ignored the doctor's orders and her incision opened It can also make the scars worse.

I had mine done the week before Thanksgiving. That got me out of all the heavy prep work for both Thanksgiving and Christmas and I was good to go right after New Years.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

I took painkillers the first day after then nothing. In two weeks I was wearing pretty strapless dresses and doing everything low impact. I wasn't riding at the time so that wasn't a factor but it was well worth it.

I had breast reduction last Spring - not removing or changing out implants which may be a different procedure. I got a lateral and vertical scar. I would never recommend it as a cosmetic procedure, but I definitely recommend it for those with back and neck pain. It made all the difference for me. I was back on a horse in 4wks. The doctor said at that point there was no way anything would "open up" but that such activity would hurt. It wasn't that bad. The first activity I did was probably at near 3wks and was swimming. I couldn't really reach, but I could doggy paddle around and kick. There was never a point I absolutely could not do anything for myself. Six months later I still have a little swelling and weird feeling after having hot, active days.

Quote Originally Posted by HillnDale View Post
    I had breast reduction last Spring - not removing or changing out implants which may be a different procedure. I got a lateral and vertical scar. I would never recommend it as a cosmetic procedure, but I definitely recommend it for those with back and neck pain. It made all the difference for me. I was back on a horse in 4wks. The doctor said at that point there was no way anything would "open up" but that such activity would hurt. It wasn't that bad. The first activity I did was probably at near 3wks and was swimming. I couldn't really reach, but I could doggy paddle around and kick. There was never a point I absolutely could not do anything for myself. Six months later I still have a little swelling and weird feeling after having hot, active days.
    The "girls" are a bit oddly shaped but the scars do fade in time
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH

Approximately 6 weeks after mine I rode. 4 weeks after I had to snowblow with a big tractor- made it lightly ache under my arms. any pushing or pulling made me cautious. You have been thru a similar surgery once-hope you like your new smaller you! I LOVE mine. Don't have to wear the power bra anymore! (Used the Enell-thankful it was invented but also thankful I can wear a regular sports bra and breathe now!) Worth the time off for sure!

Never had one, but want one badly. Being a 38DD is not fun. Wishing you the best of luck!
    Maggie Bright, lovingly known as Skye and deeply missed (1994 - 2013)
    The Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Skyedragon View Post
    Never had one, but want one badly. Being a 38DD is not fun. Wishing you the best of luck!
    If you ever plan on losing weight I would advise against getting a breast reduction before losing the weight. I had a friend who had breasts that I thought were very proportional for her size and frame. She also needed to lose about 40 pounds or so. She went ahead and got the breast reduction going from a large D to a regular B. THEN she lost weight and now she's about an A. I never asked her if she regretted doing it in that order because I didn't want to pry, but I would have been upset had I been in her shoes.

Most women I know (including myself) lose weight in their boobs first. Just something to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by showhorsegallery View Post
    If you ever plan on losing weight I would advise against getting a breast reduction before losing the weight. I had a friend who had breasts that I thought were very proportional for her size and frame. She also needed to lose about 40 pounds or so. She went ahead and got the breast reduction going from a large D to a regular B. THEN she lost weight and now she's about an A. I never asked her if she regretted doing it in that order because I didn't want to pry, but I would have been upset had I been in her shoes.

Most women I know (including myself) lose weight in their boobs first. Just something to think about.
    I've lost 30 lbs since the reduction and mine haven't changed a bit.
    I'm post menopause, pre menopause might be different.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH

Quote Originally Posted by Skyedragon View Post
    I was REDUCED to a 38DD!!!!
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    I've lost 30 lbs since the reduction and mine haven't changed a bit.
    I'm post menopause, pre menopause might be different.
    And like you some women don't lose weight in their boobs no matter what. It just depends on your body composition. I just wanted to caution that it can be a concern. I lost 30 pounds and went from a 36 small D to a 34 B+.

Quote Originally Posted by showhorsegallery View Post
    And like you some women don't lose weight in their boobs no matter what. It just depends on your body composition.
    I absolutely agree. I lost 25 lbs prior to my reduction and saw no difference. Having the surgeon remove the tissue was the answer.

Unfortunately, I gained most of that 25 lbs. back. However, I have not gained any more weight in my breasts. They did get bigger after my surgery--went from a large B back up to a D/DD--but that's because I was 19 and breasts don't stop developing until your mid-20s (then, breasts can get bigger because of weight). But 16 lbs. have come off, thanks Weight Watchers! We'll see what happens with the boobs as I continue to lose weight.