The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    I'm not convinced horses ever actually "need" to be wrapped. I think it's one of those things we do because it makes US feel better.
    Horses frequently need to be wrapped for injuries and other things.
    If you have not encountered such an injury then feel lucky.

Knowing how to deal with wraps on their legs is a good thing for a horse to have in their tool box if a wrap requiring injury comes along.

Delta, I remember those plastic spike things. One of those things that the first time I saw it in a tack box I scratched my head wondering until someone told me what it was.

These aren't the ones I remember, but here is one version of the spiky wraps:

http://www.bigdweb.com/BANDAGE-PROTE...uctinfo/2898L/

And another, in plastic:

http://www.bigdweb.com/BANDAGE-PROTE...ductinfo/4051/

I remember tannish plastic ones, with bigger spikes?

Quote Originally Posted by MtyMax View Post
    Need some ideas keeping a standing wrap on a mare that DOES. NOT. LIKE. THEM.

Mare came in from the pasture with a cut on her ankle...no biggie. Treated and cleaned it. After standing in her stall all day, mare is very swollen and stocked up (sensitive girl that swells any where she has an open cut). I went ahead and cold hosed and am keeping her in standing wraps when in during the day. The first day she ate around the wrap and destroyed my quilt The second day I used vet wrap over both ends of the quilt so it was protecting the 1" or so of quilt sticking out. She got the vet wrap off and one entire wrap + quilt, but thankfully only took a small chunk out of my quilt this time.

The leg looks much better, and while I am still cold hosing I thankfully won't be wrapping. Before anyone asks...I spent years in Pony Club perfecting my wraps, so they are pretty darn good.

What happens when I get my self in a situation where wrapping is truly needed? Any suggestions for keeping wraps on? Duct tape? Kidding....sort of.
    It seems like she's pulling on it with her teeth. Spray it with tabasco, she'll only bite at it once!

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

I've had better luck with the polar-fleece type (no bow) ones than the pillow ones, perhaps because they're less satisfying to shred. Star shredded the latter, but not the former, but maybe I just timed it that he grew up more by the time I tried the no bows?

I get them from Dover, or Smith Brothers to save money. I have a preference for the ones where the support stitching across the middle goes the long way rather than the short way. My mom, an expert seamstress, tells me that there is a good reason for this.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    I remember tannish plastic ones, with bigger spikes?
    Yes. That is what I remember too.

Deodorant!

Buy the cheap stick chalky perfumy deodorant. Much more pleasant for you to smell than pepper spray, easy to apply and is not messy. And it apparently tastes nasty because I've never had a horse or a dog go through it!

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    I'm not convinced horses ever actually "need" to be wrapped. I think it's one of those things we do because it makes US feel better.
    Though I totally agree IMO that so many things that are done for the “sake of the horse” do more the owner/caretaker then the horse. Bandaging is not one. It should be at the top of every pony clubber’s list of things to learn and to learn properly. The different types and the reason why. And to fully understand the repercussions if not done properly.

Quote Originally Posted by horsefaerie View Post
    Cool tips here!

Also, "train" horses for bandages ahead of time using OLD socks! Get some from your non horsey friends. THey also work great for abscess bandages and to cover some others and much cheaper than what you buy!

They remain washable or disposable!
    Great tip! Makes a lot of sence.

I'm surprised to hear of all the goop application. I'd slap a leather halter on the horse and apply a bib. Or, use a neck cradle. Stick around the barn with a good book or good friends for several hours before you leave the horse unattended with this apparatus on, but seriously. Add a well stuffed hay net, and the wraps should be fine for several hours/ overnight.

Maybe I'm too old school for this crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by animaldoc View Post
    When I have HAD to keep wraps on (and uncovering a surgery site over a joint immediately postop can become life threatening pretty quickly) the best is Vaseline and cayenne.

Mix LOTS (like a HUGE bottle) of cayenne in a tub of vaseline
    Put small amount in horses mouth and then liberally cover bandages with some (this is obviously not good for polos, but good for vetwrap/elasticon bandages)

Putting it in the horses' mouth is the key - they won't touch the bandages after that.

For horses that rub their legs together to get bandages down, cover the bandages in duct tape and then apply vaseline (plain or cayenne if they're chewing too). Makes them too slippery to come down.
    Thought this works very well it is messy. Yes, putting a bit in their mouth sets precedent but its been my experience not all horses understand the word. For the ones that don’t I wasn’t comfortable with the fact the Vaseline/Cayenne can get on the sensitive areas of their nose and remain there, and they rub the mess on their sides etc. Also a PITB to wash out of the wraps. But I have no “science” or “study groups” that says there is anything wrong with doing it that way. Just how I feel about it.

The Vaseline and duck tape is an interesting solution for the problem children.

I keep a large supply of wraps around that aren't in the best of shape. These go on youngsters that chew every night until they give it up...night after night...seriously. Usually by the third or fourth night, they give up. I wrap dry so there's nothing underneath the wrap that may cause discomfort and intice them to shred wraps.

I've used a mixture of alum and water on the outside of wraps with good results.

I have one gelding that was a real pill about anything left on his legs, including bell boots. I don't think it was that anything was irritating him...he's just a big goofball and shredding everything just gives him something to do.
    Fan of the Swedish Chef

Quote Originally Posted by ChevalV View Post
    Deodorant!

Buy the cheap stick chalky perfumy deodorant. Much more pleasant for you to smell than pepper spray, easy to apply and is not messy. And it apparently tastes nasty because I've never had a horse or a dog go through it!
    Off topic a bit, but a few weeks ago, my SO's horse reached into my truck, pulled out my purse, dumped it, and proceeded to lick and eat my entire stick of deoderant.
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

If the wraps are absolutely necessary Rap Last and a bib.

However for a superficial cut and some associated swelling wraps are not absolutely necessary.

I should try to find out what my friend used on her wraps with her mare. She tried everything under the sun to get that mare to stop chewing her wraps. Bitter apple, hot sauce, pepper spray ect. She finally used something so strong that you couldn't breathe if you were near her when she sprayed it on and left your eyes watering!! That was the ONLY thing that stopped that mare from chewing on her wraps.

ElisLove, that would be RapLast.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Persevere. Horses need to learn to deal with bandages at some point. Horses do not get to vote.

There used to be spiky plastic shells you could wrap around the outside of a standing wrap to deter chewing--not sure if they're around any more. I would paint the wrap with some cayenne pepper or one of those noxious potions meant for the purpose. And keep putting them on until she gets over it.
    I use the "spikes" for my horse. I got them from Big Dee horse supplies (they sell lots of race horse goodies).

Also a great product is the "No Chew" vetwrap (different brand but same type of stuff). My horse usually will take his wraps off but with this stuff... no touching! And it does taste TERRIBLE (don't ask how I know...)

Becky
    Becky & Red
    In Loving Memory of Gabriel, 1998-2005 and Raalph, 1977-2013

Quote Originally Posted by crthunder View Post
    I
    Also a great product is the "No Chew" vetwrap (different brand but same type of stuff). My horse usually will take his wraps off but with this stuff... no touching! And it does taste TERRIBLE (don't ask how I know...)
    I forgot about this stuff -- I have some on hand but haven't had to use it (yet) on my wrap chewer. But I did use it for my dog that hates any kind of bandages and she wouldn't touch it, which was nice as it meant she didn't have to wear the cone of shame.

Quote Originally Posted by AliCat518 View Post
    Off topic a bit, but a few weeks ago, my SO's horse reached into my truck, pulled out my purse, dumped it, and proceeded to lick and eat my entire stick of deoderant.
    Well there goes that theory! LOL!

I don't do neck cradles - one of my mentors told a first hand account of a horse (most likely a very nice racehorse) with a nec cradle bleeding out and dying before anyone could do anything. So no neck cradles.....