The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Horse Doesn't DO Standing Wraps. Help!

Need some ideas keeping a standing wrap on a mare that DOES. NOT. LIKE. THEM.

Mare came in from the pasture with a cut on her ankle...no biggie. Treated and cleaned it. After standing in her stall all day, mare is very swollen and stocked up (sensitive girl that swells any where she has an open cut). I went ahead and cold hosed and am keeping her in standing wraps when in during the day. The first day she ate around the wrap and destroyed my quilt The second day I used vet wrap over both ends of the quilt so it was protecting the 1" or so of quilt sticking out. She got the vet wrap off and one entire wrap + quilt, but thankfully only took a small chunk out of my quilt this time.

The leg looks much better, and while I am still cold hosing I thankfully won't be wrapping. Before anyone asks...I spent years in Pony Club perfecting my wraps, so they are pretty darn good.

What happens when I get my self in a situation where wrapping is truly needed? Any suggestions for keeping wraps on? Duct tape? Kidding....sort of.

Have you tried the pepper stuff you douse the wraps in? Efficacy of about 50/50 on my wrap eaters over the years.

Something akin to Bitter Apple so that when she puts her mouth on them there's a horrible taste for her might work.

Chew No More spray (or something similar), or more turnout.

Try one of those bitter anti-cribbing/chewing sprays.

http://www.smartpakequine.com/rap-la...x?cm_vc=Search

Rap Last, that's what it is called.

"Bitter Apple" you can buy for pets works pretty well too.

Ugh, my gelding started to get stocked up in his stall one evening before a show the next day. I didnt' want him to be all puffy legged the next morning, so I put on standing wraps. He lets me put them on, stands like a gentleman...then as soon as I started to walk away, they were in his mouth! I didn't even leave them on to see how he would be...I just took them off because I knew of the destruction that would happen when I came back in the morning.

I can wrap his hinds fine, he leaves those alone. Too much work I think to mess with those.

I'm not sure what I would do if I had to wrap his fronts...

I just lunged him extra at teh show the next morning to get his legs back to normal, LOL!

OP - sorry, I'm no help! But I'm going to apply some of the suggestions here if I ever have to put them on his fronts again!
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Better than my horse!
    If you wrap his hinds, he stands there kicking out behind him.

IMO all horses should be taught to wear bandages long before they need to. The younger the better. Some have no problem with it and others will shred them. But it has been my experience that all will get used to them. I have found that some just don’t like the fleece wraps, I guess it itches them. Chew No More works pretty good for most. But it is just as easy to make your own. Cayenne pepper mixed with warm water and painted on does the trick with most. You want it to be kind of on the thick side. Adding Tabasco sauce gives a smell to it and a bit more heat. Yes, the pepper mix can stain the wrap so if that is a problem just dedicate some wraps for the problem horses. The problem with a watery spray on like Chew No More is the fact they have to chew on the wrap to get a result. Verses the crusty pepper paint that gets in their mouth as soon as they put their mouth to the wrap.

Forgot about Rap Last, better then Chew No More IMO
    Last edited by gumtree; Aug. 30, 2012 at 01:08 PM. Reason: not tobacco, tabasco sauce

I second Rap Last.

When you spray it on the wrap, be certain that you are not taking a breath near the spray. Wash you hands, before you touch anywhere on your face, too.

Ask me how I know?
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

Also with Rap Last, use caution around white feet. It is rust-colored and will look it if you get it all over your grey.

But it *IS* very effective.

Raplast is the best of the pre made sprays, IME. I also have made up a nasty mix of dawn dish washing soap and cayenne and used that, but any of those will stain. My dedicated wrap remover spent his time of stall rest and wraps following a bowed tendon in a breakaway halter and bib as well, since he would eventually get any wrap off, no matter what was sprayed and smeared on it. Then he destroyed the bib too, one time with the help of a neighbor (stuck bib thru bars, neighbor horse pulled it apart (found pieces in stall!), proceeds to remove wraps...). The next thing to try would be those wrap protector boots with little pokeys on them...I think Big Dee might carry them.

I found that my mare only destroyed her wraps when she was in pain from whatever issue necessitated the wrapping. Treating the pain stopped the destruction.

Just one more angle to examine

I'm not convinced horses ever actually "need" to be wrapped. I think it's one of those things we do because it makes US feel better.

Ah, a wrapivore! If we're just setting up horses at the show for the night we just skip these guys. If it were life or death and they had to be wrapped we try a bitter apple spray or worst case senario a muzzle.
    Quote Originally Posted by EquineImagined View Post
    My subconscious is a wretched insufferable beotch.

When I have HAD to keep wraps on (and uncovering a surgery site over a joint immediately postop can become life threatening pretty quickly) the best is Vaseline and cayenne.

Mix LOTS (like a HUGE bottle) of cayenne in a tub of vaseline
    Put small amount in horses mouth and then liberally cover bandages with some (this is obviously not good for polos, but good for vetwrap/elasticon bandages)

Putting it in the horses' mouth is the key - they won't touch the bandages after that.

For horses that rub their legs together to get bandages down, cover the bandages in duct tape and then apply vaseline (plain or cayenne if they're chewing too). Makes them too slippery to come down.

Cool tips here!

Also, "train" horses for bandages ahead of time using OLD socks! Get some from your non horsey friends. THey also work great for abscess bandages and to cover some others and much cheaper than what you buy!

They remain washable or disposable!
    “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.”
    ― Albert Einstein

Persevere. Horses need to learn to deal with bandages at some point. Horses do not get to vote.

There used to be spiky plastic shells you could wrap around the outside of a standing wrap to deter chewing--not sure if they're around any more. I would paint the wrap with some cayenne pepper or one of those noxious potions meant for the purpose. And keep putting them on until she gets over it.
    Click here before you buy.

Well, as I'm a confirmed wrap-a-holic its not an option for the mare . I typically only wrap when I feel it is needed...as in tendon injuries, open wounds, etc. I'll try the Rap Last. Vaseline and chili pepper sounds good too. Either way, I have a feeling I'll be doing a ton of laundry!

Anyone have any preferences on which quilts to use? Apparently I have two that now need to be replaced, and I should probably buy extra as well. Mine are ancient and have held up for the past 15 years, but I have no idea who makes them.

Thanks!

I have about six of each kind of quilt that was ever made, and honestly have never had a strong preference for one type over another. I just grab whatever is clean on the rare occasions when I wrap something. Choose what you like best.
    Click here before you buy.