The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Favorite Western Saddlebags?

I'm starting to look for new saddlebags, horn bags and maybe a cantle bag and water bottle holder, just so I have matching pieces should I need them.

The local offerings are limited and grossly overpriced. I'm a little gunshy about online though, since the cashel set I spent over $100 on lasted a grand total of 2 months before every single flippin' closure on the things broke. I'm not that hard on my stuff, really.

What brands do people like?

I ride in an endurance saddle, not western, but the brand I like is Snugpax. I buy mine online from Running Bear Tack http://www.runningbear.com BUT also know Teddy, the owner, because she brings her mobile store to rides. Always have great service through her. She carries both English and Western styles. I wouldn't say they're cheap but they do last a long time and with endurance and CTR riders they're getting a lot of use (i.e., hot, sweaty, rainy use!).

FYI, I've noticed other COTH posters have said good things about both Snugpax and Stowaway brands.
    It's just grass and water till it hits the ground.

I bought a nice set from Outfitters Supply - not directly from them, they were at a tack shop at a horseman's campground, but each piece fits together nicely and looks great.

Here's the "main" saddle bag, but the matching pieces are also on the same site:

http://www.outfitterssupply.com/Trai...ctinfo/WTM501/
    Please copy and paste this to your signature if you know someone, or have been affected by someone who needs a smack upside the head. Lets raise awareness.

I like the Trail Max stuff. the one that's a bottle holder I can't figure out how I want to secure it- but the little pommel bag is great for chapstick/hoofpick/cell phone/horse treat or two. I like their cantle bag, too.

Ditto on the snugpax and stowaway. I have several that I've had for many years and use all the time. I find alot of high quality trail items offered by endurance catalog companies such as running bear.

The trailmax 5-piece system looks like what I want.

I like the snugpax/stowaway bags too, and used to have a stowaway ages ago for my dressage saddle when I was doing endurance, but I think I could fit lunch, drinks and my DSLR (my 'trail camera' is an old beat up canon rebel) in the trailmax ones more easily.

Thanks guys!

I have a cantle bag that was made by a saddlemaker friend of mine - you can kind of see it in this pic:

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...29470100_n.jpg

I don't remember what it cost.

I also have a set of neoprene horn bags that I got from AQHA when I joined. I don't have a pic of them ATM. I've only used them a few times, but they seem to be well-made and durable.

I have an old set of leather saddlebags that have been around FOREVER - I have no clue what they cost! I "inherited" them from hubby when we got married.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto..._1377840_n.jpg