The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Logging with horses. DEADLINE THIS FRIDAY. Leesburg, VA workshop

Edited to add that this Friday, Oct. 6, is the registration deadline. Session details are available at www.tinyurl.com/horselogging and registration details are available at www.tfguild.org

My employer—the Timber Framers Guild, a non-profit organization—recently promoted me to the role of conference programmer. I jokingly asked my executive director if I could bring some mules to Leesburg, and do you know what? He said YES! They're not mules, but the next best thing: Jason Rutledge and assistants from Healing Harvest Forest Foundation will be bringing teams of draft horses ((one novice, one experienced) to a Leesburg woodlot to teach an eight hour pre-conference workshop on logging with horses. They'll be covering the how-tos as well as the whys—from a sustainable forestry perspective—of draft-powered logging, and demonstrating the process through selection, felling, skidding, and milling. I thought it might be of interest to COTHers with working draft teams.

The event will take place in Leesburg, Virginia on Thursday, October 18. There is a cost to participate, and pre-registration is required.

Thanks, Mods, for letting me sneak this one in. I hope it doesn't offend—I'm just so excited about this convergence of my personal and professional interests, and I really hope the workshop is a big success.

For more information, visit www.tfguild.org or www.healingharvestforestfoundation.org.
    Last edited by didgery; Oct. 3, 2012 at 04:53 PM.
    My ears hear a symphony of two mules, trains, and rain. The best is always yet to come, that's what they explained to me. —Bob Dylan

Fenway Bartholomule ♥ Arrietty G. Teaspoon Brays Of Our Lives

Sounds like it will be real interesting, a different way of doing things.

Not sure if the Rural Heritage site has a place to list things like Clinics or activities like this. Those folks like to use their horses. Also any sites for Draft folks, horses, ponies, mules, could get you some people that want to attend. They are always asking for stuff like this, want to learn to do it right.

You might ask the ADS if they would put it on their Calendar. Also check their site and contact the Driving Clubs near you, to let them know about your activity and spread the word. Just finding the right contacts, will get the word out to folks. Have you tried local Draft Breed Associations to get listed on their Calendars too? Again include the Fjord and Haflinger folks, Mules, in your contacts. Horse and Pony Pulling Associations might be interested. Local Horse Auctions might be willing to post some flyers for people to see.

Have plans for rain, most folks will come even if it rains. Maybe some awnings or an indoor, for rain shelter.

Thanks for this great advice!
    My ears hear a symphony of two mules, trains, and rain. The best is always yet to come, that's what they explained to me. —Bob Dylan

The registration deadline for this session is this Friday, October 6. I hope we can get a couple more people signed up as it is in danger of cancellation due to low enrollment! Please spread the word—you need not have a draft team to benefit from this educational experience in a working woodlot.