The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Skin Irritation on right lower hip only

My mare whenever not blanketed which is in the summer months gets a skin irritation on her right lower hip only... I think its from bedding when laying down... but she has gotten it from a couple different barns each that have different bedding. Any suggestions on how to prevent or how to cure? Does anyone else have a horse that gets this? Thanks in advance!

My new one does. Still trying to get healed. My next step is tring Neosporin, a gauze pad and Duct tape.
    Hillary Clinton - proven liar, cheat, traitor and defender of rapists! Anyone but Hillary 2016! https://www.facebook.com/AntiHillary2016

Sorry to say it but glad I am not alone... I am going to try Vetericyn Wound & Infection Spray - I picked some up tonight...

Horse isn't laying on urine. Daytime in stall that is deep shavings, and cleaned 3 times a day, and night in sand paddocks with pretty deep sand.
    Hillary Clinton - proven liar, cheat, traitor and defender of rapists! Anyone but Hillary 2016! https://www.facebook.com/AntiHillary2016

If you want to make the skin more resilient as well kill any irritants, Lucky Braids All-In-One Shampoo does wonders. It moisturizes, fortifies skin, gently kills irritants and helps hair regrow. If the area is hot, Handy Salve will cool and soothe as well as help regeneration of skin and hair. Satisfaction is guaranteed: http://www.luckybraids.com/products.htm Any questions or doubts, please give me a call: 781-856-2818 ~Ruthann

my mare gets a weird spot on her belly/side every summer where she scratches herself with her hind leg or kicks her hind leg up to catch the flies off her belly. could this be it?