The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default First show in 20 years, first ever dressage show, and first ever rated show...

...all rolled into one this Saturday! I am so nervous. Not so much about my tests--I've worked hard on those and what happens happens, but about everything else. Will I get there in time? Will his braids look like a giant worm pooped on his neck? Will we survive the warm-up ring? I always ride alone, so I am especially nervous about that one. I'm starting to wonder what on earth made me think this would be a good idea!

A bit of nerves are totally normal !! It can help if you have someone to tag along as a groom to help take care of little things while you focus on doing what you need to do in the ring.

It may help to go into the warm-up and the ring thinking "what can I do to make my horse feel comfortable?" If you focus on the horse you'll have less time to worry about yourself. Chances are everything will be fine...

Good Luck! Keep us posted.
    Gilchrist said. "With Lost In The Fog, it's different. We want to take real good care of this horse. He's the only bullet in our holster."

I did that last year. I took a teenager who is very responsible with me to help me. She took care of my horse I took care of me. We didnt know anyone there or anyone in my classes so that took a little pressure off. Everyone else is worrying about themselves and really werent paying attention to me. I was most concerned about the warm up ring and other riders. I found a quiet area and was fine. I had scribed for nice judges that wanted the rider to do well so I wasnt nervous about the judge. I made lots of small goals like staying on and in the arena, getting my leads a square halt etc.... I did it to push myself into working harder and something to work towards. I have a TB/perch so I worried everyone else would have expensive horses. Some did but you still have to ride those horses. it was a very positive experience. This year I went to one show in the spring and Im headed to the second one this weekend so Im back for more. Have fun and dont worry. Youre spending the weekend with your horse learning. Everything else is gravy
    Gallop on

Good for you and good luck!

I'm sure you'll figure out all those little details... feeling confident in riding your test is the big hurdle!
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Well done! My advice is to bring a good supportive friend who can worry about all of the details and just focus on figuring out how your horse is feeling on Saturday and enjoying your ride! Pack as much as you can ahead of time, then just smugly remind yourself that you're doing a great job to get there at all!
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

Thanks! My instructor will be with me but I've seen her at shows and she will be more nervous than I will! Horse and I will have lots of opportunity to visit and try to relax together--the trailer we are borrowing is brand new and he can't be tied to it, so I'll either be riding him or holding him for eight hours.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhew View Post
    Thanks! My instructor will be with me but I've seen her at shows and she will be more nervous than I will! Horse and I will have lots of opportunity to visit and try to relax together--the trailer we are borrowing is brand new and he can't be tied to it, so I'll either be riding him or holding him for eight hours.
    Oh, don't do that! If need be, put him on the trailer. You'll need a break and so will he.

Our usual drill is to unload and organize the most necessary things first. And make sure that includes a chair. Open the trailer upper doors or escape door and let him sort of take in the sounds and smells for a few minutes while he's still confined on the trailer. Then unload and take him for a walk. This way, you're not trying to get things organized with one hand while trying to control your horse with the other.

If your trainer is a nervous nellie type, make a list of things you need her to do (like register you at the office, etc.,) hand it to her and send her about her chores, LOL! Often the nervous types (just like horses) just need a series of simple commands to expend their energy on! No need to let her nervous energy feed into yours.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/