The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Paynter in clinic in Saratoga with colitis

He's really sick ... running fever, diarrhea . They're worried about him.

Hope you get better soon big guy !

Hope he makes a speedy recovery..

It goes without saying that this is life threatening. Jingles for a complete recovery.

I guess Bob & Zayat aren't tweeting any asinine coy responses to Payner this time, as they did before. Flashback to stupidity, pre Haskell:

The current condition of Paynter, and his whereabouts, have been difficult to ascertain in recent days, because his connections have refused to disclose detailed information.

On Tuesday, in response to inquiries regarding Paynter to both Justin Zayat and owner Ahmed Zayat, Justin Zayat, who works closely with his father, Ahmed, said on Twitter that Paynter “is not dying or retiring.” Justin Zayat also said Paynter “is healthy and sound” and added that the colt would be “training at Belmont this weekend,” but would not divulge his current whereabouts.

Bob Baffert, who trains Paynter, on Tuesday referred all inquiries to the Zayats, but joked that Paynter was “at a spa in New Jersey, getting his nails done.”

Tuesday evening, Justin Zayat posted a picture of his father riding a horse on a merry-go-round at Disneyland with the caption, “I found paynter!!!!!!!”
    Bodemeister, Pioneer of the Nile, Paynter, Eskendereya, Zensational, Maimonides .... eh did any of them finish their 3-yr old season healthy and capable of having a 4-yr old career? Nada.

One should loudly ask why the aforementioned horses get retired to stud ... with the expectation they will what, produce more solid runners? Please.
    Last edited by Glimmerglass; Aug. 29, 2012 at 08:07 AM.

update on Blood Horse says he's improved some. Am I off base thinking this incident is more worrisome given that it happened not too long ago?

Edited to add: In addition to the list above, I'll Have Another, Union Rags, Hansen.......
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Agreed.

Look at how much each one of these horses traveled and shipped so close to races and take a glance at their work patterns... And wonder why they had the problems they did...

Quote Originally Posted by Glimmerglass View Post
    I guess Bob & Zayat aren't tweeting any asinine coy responses to Payner this time, as they did before. Flashback to stupidity, pre Haskell:

Bodemeister, Pioneer of the Nile, Paynter, Eskendereya, Zensational, Maimonides .... eh did any of them finish their 3-yr old season healthy and capable of having a 4-yr old career? Nada.

One should loudly ask why the aforementioned horses get retired to stud ... with the expectation they will what, produce more solid runners? Please.

"Pat the horse; kick yourself" - Carl Hester

I read somewhere (may have been DRF) that the vets are saying it's a good thing they didn't wait to bring him to the clinic, that he was pretty seriously sick.

I'm thinking that maybe he wasn't over it the first time, or maybe his immune system was compromised because he was ill last month.

Anyway, I'm glad he's feeling better, he is a gutsy race horse.

To clarify Roly,

They were happy he got sick when he did because the next day he was scheduled to be on a plane from NY to LA. Not a short trip for a very sick horse.

If he hadn't gotten worse the trip may have sapped his strength to a very bad level.

~Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Although he improved over the weekend, he has not done as well this evening.

Quotes from Zayat's Twitter account, per The Paulick Report...
    http://www.paulickreport.com/news/bl...zayat-stables/

"Zayat Stables' grade 1-winner Paynter, who has been battling colitis, suffered another setback on Monday.

Ahmed Zayat wrote in a series of detailed Twitter comments on Monday evening, that the talented colt had again taken a bit of a turn for the worse, after having shown improvement over the weekend. Zayat wrote:

"Paynter update: Paynter continues to fight bravely his colitis. Today has been a tough day he is giving us mixed signals while his appetite has improved and his temperature is normal. His blood work has been good.

Today we had to deal with new issues that arised at the first time. He has developed an infection where the catheter is placed and his angel Laura was having a hard time finding an unswollen vein to insert it. It is important because this is where he gets his nutrients medications.

Other problem for the first time. He has developed some clotting in his blood veins as a result of low protein. We have been treating him with plasma. It has been an emotional tough day for Laura and myself as we are not dealing with issues that apply to comfort and pain. We need to be very careful of how to deal with those serious issues. I personally have ZERO tolerance for the word suffering. It is important that we give our warrior a chance to fight and battle his illness but also keeping our eye on our goal which is to get him healthy and happy but not at any cost.

Paynter has been good to all of us and we need to treat him with the love and dignity that he deserves. Laura and I and all his vets and @Midnightlute (trainer Bob Baffert) are particularly conscious of that. We once again ask for your prayers as the next 24 hours will tell the tale. Please God give me the strength and the grace to do what's right with my horse and to give my vets the wisdom to make the right calls. And to bless Paynter with the courage to fight this very tough battle.""
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Ohhhh...........sorry to read this. Jingles to Paynter and his team. I hope he gets better.

Sounds like he's developed laminitis in 3 of 4 legs. Not a good development.

From Thoroughbred Times's Facebook:

Owner Ahmed Zayat: "Paynter situation continues to get worse. He had a bad night and not such a good morning. ... Today he has been diagnosed with our nightmare scenario of laminitis. ... He has developed it in 3 of his 4 legs, which is heartbreaking. ... We need to be compassionate and merciful and treat our star with the respect and love that he deserves while giving him the best chance in fighting for his life."

Oh, this is so not good.........I feel for the horse and the owners, who sound like they are truly concerned about what is best for him.

Sadly it sounds like there is only one decision to be made.
    Last edited by Kim; Sep. 4, 2012 at 02:38 PM.
    In loving memory of Chutney (1977 - 2008)

My newest book, "Sandsablaze," available now!

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    Sadly it sounds like there is only one decision to be made.
    I dunno, they kept Barbaro going for MONTHS...

Default sad

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    I dunno, they kept Barbaro going for MONTHS...
    Which was so sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Florida Fan View Post
    Which was so sad.
    Ditto this. Sadly it seems like Paynter's issues are somewhat widespread even prior to the laminitis onset, particularly the circulatory problem. Just a darn lousy end to a rough road for this year's 3 -yr olds. I feel for the owners.

so sad

Oh, just read about his laminitis elsewhere. How sad. And Baffert's father just passed away. Not a good time for that barn.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Twitter update an hour ago: Specialty vet brought in, Paynter has mild changes, and mild pain. Special casts put on to support feet. His appetite is good and the "big D" has shown improvement. They will hellp him fight as long as he shows he wants it.

JINGLES.