The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Running Order and Doug Payne?

Just read his blog saying he lost the ride. Any one know what happened? So sad. I loved the way he described his training of that horse.

Here is his blog, if you want to read the source.
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Doug is a class act.

I am sorry that he was not able to keep Running Order. They were a great pair.

I had wondered why he was not running him at the AEC's. I guess that my question is answered.
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

Wait so Mrs. Springsteen just took him back? For Jessica as a jumper or what?

I am so confused.

Will we see him out and about again??? Anyone know?

Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Sorry to hear it, he did a lovely job with that horse. Hope he gets great rides in the future.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Trying to read tea leaves.

In the blog, DP says that he talked to DOC, who said this could be the best thing that ever happened to him because (and I'm trying understand what DOC actually meant) RO wasn't a good enough horse to get DP to the top. Is that how you guys read it?

Kind of makes one wonder what DOC has in mind for horses good enough for his Team.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

I'm super bummed about this - such a nice pairing and just getting to the top of their game.
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

Anyone have the scoop on where RO will be going??

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    Trying to read tea leaves.

In the blog, DP says that he talked to DOC, who said this could be the best thing that ever happened to him because (and I'm trying understand what DOC actually meant) RO wasn't a good enough horse to get DP to the top. Is that how you guys read it?

Kind of makes one wonder what DOC has in mind for horses good enough for his Team.
    What confused me about this is how it comes across after the fact. "Before I could no longer keep RO, he was a horse for the future. Now that he is sold, I talked to DOC and it turns out my judgement was all off, he wasn't actually good enough." Doug tried to spin this positively and to keep RO's owner on good terms, but it still came across kind of funny.

WRT what happens to RO now, I took the blog to mean that a buyer had been found with cash in hand, before a full syndicate could be formed. Guess we will know soon enough.
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

I feel terrible for him. He so obviously thought the world of that horse and had a huge amount of faith that they could reach the top together. I hate seeing partnerships like that break up, particularly when it's an OTTB that the rider has brought up the levels.

I'm sure DOC's comment that he needs "better horses" was meant to make Doug feel better but I do think that in the push for "fancier/flashier" you can lose out on some of what makes a top eventer. It sounds like this parting wasn't up to Doug, but for a lot of our up and coming riders, they should be aiming at getting 3-4 horses like RO around a couple of four stars (mileage, mileage, mileage) before they worry about spending the $ to upgrade to something fancier on the flat who may or may not have what it takes to get around a four star.

Best of luck to Doug going forward though. This has to bite.

ETA Just saw the post speculating about cash in hand. I hope that's not true. If it really was only a matter of timing, then I can't help thinking poorly of the owner despite Doug's attempts to stay positive. It's not like they need the cash.

No clues online yet. USEA has him listed as "unknown Owner" USEF has him owned by Stone Hill Farm which is the Springsteens.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Aww. Super bummed for Doug. Agree they looked like great partnership.

Hope RO goes off to do awesome things with his new person. Sigh.

Yeah I thought the DOC comment was odd. Oh well.

Also figured Springsteen either set a time deadline (syndicate by X date or I sell) or someone walked up, cash in hand.

"Moving forward, I need to be mounted on better quality horses."

Wow. What a poorly worded sentence. As someone who has owned upper level horses in the past (and will likely again), statements like this make me think Doug would publicly run down the horse if it didn't work out. Definitely not making it likely that I would have any interest in chipping in for his syndicate hopes.

I read that and was a bit taken aback as well. Doug is such a class act I can't imagine it was a dig on RO. Wondering where he wound up myself.

Smile

I think by 'better quality horses', he meant than the others he had left in the barn -- hence the syndicate building for two new horses...a ** and a developing. That's how I read it, and I hope he and DOC meant it.
    Last edited by jane20008; Aug. 28, 2012 at 09:09 PM. Reason: clarify

[QUOTE=GotSpots;6523593]"Moving forward, I need to be mounted on better quality horses."
    QUOTE]

Yes, that struck me as odd as well - he could have worded in any number of ways that were not a backhanded complement to RO as this is.

That being said, RO has not rocketed to the top of the *** and **** level - he has has "green" issues all along (yes we had a stop but oh, he was just green at that level) and perhaps he isn't quite up to the challenge that Doug would like to do. (the royal) We all lambasted Karen for pushing Mandiba past his comfort level for not one but 2 teams so if Doug has the talent, he needs the right horse and perhaps RO isn't it.

The first line says it all:

I'm not sure I can adequately put into words, the disappointment and dishartenment I've felt over the past few weeks over the loss of Running Order from DPE.
    This must really, really hurt. He was obviously immensely proud of and attached to RO (hence the 'scratch to 4* horse' video).

It sounds like he's trying to compensate by trying to convince himself the horse wasn't good enough. This is a clinically-tested, well-studied coping strategy.

I hope, in his search for the 'most talented horses available', he also finds horses -- like RO -- that he enjoys working with. That's where he'll find his success.

Good luck, Doug.

I heard a secondhand rumor last week that he was being sold to Andrew Hoy, but didn't want to say anything without a little more evidence. It's a shame if it's true, both for Doug and for the US.

I don't know him, but Doug seems very honest, straightforward and professional to me. I don't think he would slam any owner, especially one who supported him for over 4 years, or the horse that he worked so hard to develop. Tough situation for both owner and rider. He's a smart, talented rider, and he'll be back on top. If the horse goes to another professional, it will still be the horse he took to the 4* level.

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post
    The first line says it all:

This must really, really hurt. He was obviously immensely proud of and attached to RO (hence the 'scratch to 4* horse' video).

I have to agree 100% with JER here. Doug put a ton of time, effort, and care into RO, and I'm sure he very much hoped it would never come to this. I didn't interpret anything he wrote as "bashing" the horse, Mrs. Springsteen, or anyone else - I think he's just trying to be as positive as he can about something that must be incredibly difficult to experience.

Doug does a lovely job with every horse he sits on, and I wish him the best in finding an exciting prospect(s) to bring along with his new syndicate.