The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Default This CL ad makes me want to cry: PA pony elf hooves in ad

http://altoona.craigslist.org/grd/3227491742.html

He's probably "great" because he can't walk .

Don't people KNOW what a hoof looks like? This just breaks my heart. I'd take him if I were close.....he wouldn't take up much room.

Duplicate thread, more or less . . . if someone wants to ransom him and give him an upgrade, I'll foot his corrective trim--if you're in CT/NY/MA area, with my own farrier!

This is soooooo fixable--I could fix it myself, and have.

Very sad. Hope he gets rescued.
    Free bar.ka and tidy rabbit.

Sorry for the duplicate. Moderator can delete.

I emailed the owners & have begged them to get him vet & farrier help asap. Probably only make them mad.
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

The last thing I need to do is go buy a pony, but if he's still available tomorrow, I'll see if I can get my B/O to hitch up and go get him with me.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

Just *ARGHHHHH* WTF
    I'm not sure if I grew out of stupid or ran out of brave.

Practicing Member of the Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine Clique

Quote Originally Posted by MyGiantPony View Post
    The last thing I need to do is go buy a pony, but if he's still available tomorrow, I'll see if I can get my B/O to hitch up and go get him with me.
    Thank you Swamp and Giant, and Hundred for posting! (I missed the other post)

I cannot understand how people think it's OK to post for-sale pics with feet like that

If there's a ChipIn, I'm in a for a little.
    VP Horse & Carriage Association of NYC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-F...ref=ts&fref=ts

Mad props to you!
    Eagerly awaiting Jan 20th, 2017. Drain the swamp.

Well, my farrier is a barefoot genious, so I'm sure he'll know what to do. I've been threatening to buy my grand niece a pony, but since they are currently stationed at Little Creek, and my nephew is being deployed to Afghanistan in 2 weeks, AND they also now have a 3 week old baby, the timing is horrible.

However, I can keep him here and have him completely made for her, so by the time he's ready for her, she'll be ready for him.

OH God, I've become my own enabler.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

Are we chipping in? Been at work all night.

I emailed the owners & have begged them to get him vet & farrier help asap. Probably only make them mad
    This was not such a good idea. Often leads to person taking down the ad. Also, what are the chances they know a decent farrier that can handle this based on what you see?

Better for the pony to be rehomed which is more likely to happen if ad stays up. If people are thinking of getting him, save the contact info in case ad gets taken down..

If someone can get him close I can take probably take him. My own horse is leaving to be boarded, and my mini will be alone. I'm in Eastern PA and have a fabulous farrier. And a horse crazy 4 year old.
    I just work during the day and can't go out to get him. I can pay his bail ( though id want to negotiate that price!) but if maybe someone can hep get him here, that would be helpful.or closer, at least. My truck is older and I get nervous doing longer distances. I'm like an hour and a half from Harrisburg.

Im home all day today, keep me posted.

Well, my farrier is a barefoot genious, so I'm sure he'll know what to do. I've been threatening to buy my grand niece a pony, but since they are currently stationed at Little Creek, and my nephew is being deployed to Afghanistan in 2 weeks, AND they also now have a 3 week old baby, the timing is horrible.

However, I can keep him here and have him completely made for her, so by the time he's ready for her, she'll be ready for him.

OH God, I've become my own enabler.
    Keep us posted! I think he looks like he's in good condition other than those hooves...which could be horrible but from the way he's standing it doesn't look like he's in pain. I really hope it works - he's flipping adorable!

If the feet come around OK (and I think they're just neglected), what a CUUUUUTE driving prospect!!!

Oops, didn't see the responses. Good luck MyGiantPony! If you change your mind, let me know! I have a few empty stalls.

He would be adorable as a driving pony! When I saw him I thought he screamed Devon Leadline!! But he would be so cute in harness!

Quote Originally Posted by Whitfield Farm Hanoverians View Post
    I emailed the owners & have begged them to get him vet & farrier help asap. Probably only make them mad.
    It's never a good idea to do this - I know where your heart is, but it makes the owners get scared or mad, and they'll pull the ad and then no one can step up to upgrade the horse.

@pattystiller or other farriers:

Once a horse or pony's hooves begin to grow this way, do they tend to revert into growing mostly toe and ot so much heel? I'm curious what the long term implications are of a horse or pony's feet getting this long.

How can people do this to an animal? How difficult is it to trim once in a while?? Are they that hard up?

I'm not in the area, but can chip in for gas money, or farrier, if someone wants to take the lead and organize.

Summary so far:

Chip-ins: Swamp Yankee, Anselcat, Michaleenflynn

Possible homes: MyGiantPony, SpacyTracy
    ...somewhere between the talent and the potato....

Maybe MyGiantPony is already on this? I don't want to overstep if she is already working on it, but I don't want to let it slip by either. So....I will just keep checking.
    Last edited by spacytracy; Aug. 27, 2012 at 11:55 AM.