The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default KEP Helmets

I'm looking at getting a KEP Helmet because I've fallen a few times in my GPA (never on my head though).

Anyone have these or know someone who does? How do you like them? How is the ventilation?

On a side note, do you think the plain black one would be acceptable in Equitation and Medals classes? I mainly ride jumpers but will probably do some eq too.

Quote Originally Posted by EquestrianSapphire View Post
    I'm looking at getting a KEP Helmet because I've fallen a few times in my GPA (never on my head though).

Anyone have these or know someone who does? How do you like them? How is the ventilation?

On a side note, do you think the plain black one would be acceptable in Equitation and Medals classes? I mainly ride jumpers but will probably do some eq too.
    A lot of riders here in CA are getting them, they seem to be the new GPA, a trend that will probably be quite permanent. Several of my friends have them and really like then. TBH it'll take a while for them to grow on me, they're so bulky and even more awkward than when the GPA first came onto the scene since they're so distracting but the black would probably be more presentable. I think it would be pretty out of place in the Equitation but then again GPA's weren't the norm and everyone has them now.

The best helmet is the one that fits your head the best

I was very curious to try them on but they just did.not.fit.my.head. There was a lot of gap in the back and they just weren't stable on my head. People who have the right shape head for them LOVE them. Particularly good with people who get migraines.

Other helmets that are well ventilated:

Charles Owen AYR8. If you get the one with the reflective layer down the center, I'm told it's the coolest helmet on the market. One of the vendors down at WEF has all the "cool" helmets lined up in the sun on a table and this was the coolest underneath by a long shot. This is what I have and I love it. I tried on all the others, but I keep going back to the Charles Owens as the best shape on my head.

Samshield. These fit my head the worst. The literally feel like a teepee that keeps popping up on my head--do not sit well on my head, but fit well on a lot of people. Samshield sends tack shops a battery operated fan so that people trying them on can feel the airflow through the vents. Don't discount them.

It replaced my SpeedAir and it is ridiculously more comfortable. My head stays much cooler and I definitely do not sweat as much. I can wear it all day and not get a headache.

I absolutely love it! Happy Shopping

I ordered one, and then sent it back. It was HUGE. Technically fit my head, but was like a motorcycle helmet! No gracias.
    Standing Nasiriya - 17h JC registered stallion
    http://www.DonovanFarm.com
    Looking to buy or sell Horse Property? Contact me!
    www.TexasEquestrianProperties.com

I've seen quite a few riders on the East Coast wearing them, including some super Jrs doing equitation and medals. In fact, the very first one I saw was on Savannah Jenkins, and she does quite well!

Quote Originally Posted by HunterRider992 View Post
    I've seen quite a few riders on the East Coast wearing them, including some super Jrs doing equitation and medals. In fact, the very first one I saw was on Savannah Jenkins, and she does quite well!

Technically they can't doc a rider points or a placing based on their helmet of choice in the equitation. States it plain and simple what the class is to be judged on in the rule book.

Quote Originally Posted by svf86 View Post
    Technically they can't doc a rider points or a placing based on their helmet of choice in the equitation. States it plain and simple what the class is to be judged on in the rule book.
    I was just answering the question in the OP

Quote Originally Posted by HunterRider992 View Post
    I was just answering the question in the OP
    Oh no, I understand. I didn't mean to quote you in that reply.

Thanks everyone! I'm very excited!

Anyone else have any input?

I've had one for about a year now and I absolutely love it. It's great when it's hot. I think it also just fits me wayyyy better than any of my Charles Owens did so its super comfortable and I feel better in it than any other helmet I've ever worn.

Personally I don't like the way they look, saw one today at the show and just did not like it. The girl was first in all of her classes, so that proves that they don't really care about helmets, but personally I would not wear one. I have a speed air and really like the ventilation, but still occasionally wear my CO AYR8, which is nice. I want my next helmet to be a samshield though.

We gave our trainer a helmet for Christmas about 2 years ago, it was her choice to pick out whatever she liked best, and after trying almost everything that is available, the KEP is what she chose. At the time no one but Louise Serio was wearing one. I know she loves it and I think its one of the most attractive helmets out there. I hate the "bug look" of the Speed Air. If the KEP fits you well I would definitely recommend it.

I'm thinking of getting one, actually determined to get one. I'm pretty frustrated, I found them online for about $390, and now have lost the tack store that had them at that price!
    Anyone able to enlighten me?
    THanks