The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Saying goodbye...

Today I made the call I've been dreading even thinking about, and spoke to my former instructor about paying her for her backhoe services. My old man's health is starting to deteriorate and he's having a tougher time moving around these days. His stifles are pretty much bone-to-bone and up until just recently he'd been doing really well and was comfortable. A few months ago, I had his shoulders and stifles injected but it didn't seem to help him much.

It's the first time I've had to consider euthing a horse and I'm having a hard time of it. I'm slightly horrified, honestly. He's a good ol' pony and has brought a lot of joy to my life. I'll miss walking out the door and hearing him call to me

So... just had to get my feelings out there.

((((((((cyber hugs))))))))

Many of us have been where you are, so you don't stand alone.

You're giving him the final, most self-less of gifts

(( hugs ))
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

I have had to make that call three times in two years and it is heartbreaking I have no regrets as it was the right thing to do by each one of them. I took their pain and made it my own!!

HUGS to you!!!
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
    RIP San Lena Peppy
    May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

Sending you hugs and prayers for strength and an easy passing for him.

(((((HUGS)))))

Take some time and write a eulogy to the pony, remembering the good times, and the bad times as well. You'll be surprised how much you remember and the laughter you've had and the tears over the years you've had the pony. I've done that with a couple of my guys and am about to do it with my dog. The call is in to the vet and I'm waiting to see when it's a good time for him to come out.

Keep a box of Kleenex with you and cry as much as you want. The pain does go away but it may take quite some time. Just remember you're doing the right thing by him.

I've always said that I'd rather put them to sleep a day/wk/month early than a day late.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Quote Originally Posted by msj View Post
    I've always said that I'd rather put them to sleep a day/wk/month early than a day late.
    YES.

I'm so sorry you're having to go through this No matter what the reason, it's never easy. It sounds like your boy's time has come, and that you know it's the right decision. Give him a bath, let him scratch his head on your shoulder, give him lots and lots of treats. (((hugs)))

Under a rock, up in the hills of Sage, So. Calif, southeast of Hemet & north east of Temecula

I just did it. But it was the right thing to do. He was too good a horse to let him live a life that was losing quality.
    It hurts and you will cry. But it will be the right thing. Spend some time with him, feed him a bunch of carrots and then let him go.
    A friend once told me "Having animals is an occasional grief. But life without them is a constant grief."
    There is no such thing as "bad" horsemanship or "good" horsemanship. There is simply Horsemanship or the absence thereof.

www.oldmorgans.blogspot.com

This might help :
    http://endgame-journeys-end.blogspot...it-begins.html

If you can't read the whole blog at least read this entry
    http://endgame-journeys-end.blogspot...re-before.html
    and this one
    http://endgame-journeys-end.blogspot...&max-results=1

((((hugs)))) in your difficult time. It never gets any easier, but the first time brings extra hardship.

Default ((HUGS)) and Jingles for Strength during this impossible time ~

((HUGS)) and Jingles for strength during this impossible time period ~

The toughest part of loving a horse ~

Bless you for 'helping' him ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Thanks for all the well-wishes and hugs, and thank you for the blog link; I'll start reading it in-between classes.

He'll be grateful. You'll cry for months. Bury him nearby and plant a Rose of Sharon or Hydrangea over him-they bloom in August. I've sent 5 over The Bridge over the last 5 years and every one made me sadder than the last but I am forever glad not one of them was a critical emergency. Each one was planned, was right and was an easy slip-away for them. Good for you. I'm sorry you have to go through it but you know you're right....
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Hugs. Its the hardest gift we give them, but it is the most selfless and loving one.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

So sorry that you are going through this.

But this is the deal we make with them. For all they do for us, when this point in time comes, we have to do what is right for them - no matter how hard.

Hugs from Atlanta.
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson