The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Your thoughts on this horse's gait? (video)

This is my first post on here so hello everyone

I was just wondering if people could have a look of this vid of my horse walking/trotting up and give me their thoughts on lameness/stiffness etc. The tail to one side is ongoing but anything else you notice would be helpful...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNE-E...=ULzNE-EESnvLE

Thank you

I am seeing something in the left hind? When she walks, it looks like her head comes up a bit when the left hind hits the ground. Trotting seems a bit stiff and the whole tail off center too. I am bad with hind end lameness though. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Rokx View Post
    This is my first post on here so hello everyone

I was just wondering if people could have a look of this vid of my horse walking/trotting up and give me their thoughts on lameness/stiffness etc. The tail to one side is ongoing but anything else you notice would be helpful...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNE-E...=ULzNE-EESnvLE

Thank you
    Right front. Watch the video from :59 seconds to 1:02 when you start trotting......

Off-topic, but I really enjoyed hearing the clip-clop!

Wow. That was like the start of some interesting indie film with the beautiful sky and girl and horse going in and out of the picture.

I can see he's off on the right hind walking up the hill away from the camera and trotting one way. It's not so clear the other way. To get more than that, you have to get less artistic video and get a more standard one.

So now we just need someone to say off on the left front and we have all four legs covered! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by D1nOnlyRocketPony View Post
    Right front. Watch the video from :59 seconds to 1:02 when you start trotting......
    There's definitely something going on in that first trot pass, but I can hear it more when they're off-camera than I can see it when they come into view. Then when you can see them the horse is pulling back a bit on the lead and not really forward so it's hard to say what the natural gait would be.
    Does it move crooked - and not just the tail? I'm pretty sure haunches are shifted to the side at least in the walk. Something's NQR, but it's hard for me to tell from this video.

The tail to one side is ongoing
    Do you know what the issue with the tail is? are you sure this is isolated from what is going on gaitwise

Thanks for the ideas everyone, it's really helpful to see what people notice. I dind't want to give too much info right away, as I thought it would be useful just to see what people think without looking for anything in particular.

He has been out of work for about a year. Part of the reason for this was that he was rearing in hand and when I tried to ride him. This began when we moved yards, and he wasn't getting enough turnout and was turned out alone. So I stopped riding and when we moved to where we are now and he got turned out 24/7 and got a field-mate, the behaviour problems stopped so I put them down to him not being happy at the yard. Since then he has been turned out and not done much (beside the odd bareback ride over winter which he was happy with). About 5 weeks ago, I planned to bring him back into work & got the back person out to check his back beforehand. She noticed some discomfort so I got the vet out. In between the back lady and the vet coming out he went obviously lame on his off-side front leg. When the vet came he was x-rayed and diagnosed with kissing spines in his withers.

Last Friday he was given steroid injections into the kissing spine area and they told me to monitor him this week, try lightly riding and see how he goes. I'm finding it hard to tell whether his back is still sore, sometimes he moves away from pressure and sometimes he will just stand there. He's always been a bit quirky and a fidget (he's an arab and quite sensitive), and does tend to move away sometimes out of boredom.

The lameness isn't so obvious as it was, but he still doesn't seem quite 'right' to me. But I am not sure if this is because the injections haven't worked or whether his back is feeling ok but he is having issues elsewhere in addition to the back problem! If the injections don't work for the kissing spines, the next step would be to go for the operation, but obviously I wouldn't want to put him through all of that only for him to have unrelated/secondary ongoing issues anyway.

So just thought I would try to see what other people made of it! The video wasn't deliberately 'arty' I just had to rest it on my car as I had noone to film us I'm uploading a video of him trotting away from/towards the camera now.

Just to add: The tail is wonky as his whole back end and sacroliliac area is. This has been this way since he was a foal, but could have potentially caused the kissing spines from being out of alignment and pressing the spinal processes together

Here's another vid of him trotting
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbTgZ...ature=youtu.be

Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    Wow. That was like the start of some interesting indie film with the beautiful sky and girl and horse going in and out of the picture.

I can see he's off on the right hind walking up the hill away from the camera and trotting one way. It's not so clear the other way. To get more than that, you have to get less artistic video and get a more standard one.
    Right hind. He doesn't look like he's stepping through. Back sore, that would make sense. He just doesn't look straight when he's moving. Pretty subtle, so not much help here.

I have had several arabs, and some carry their tails to the side all the time or almost use as a counter balance...like in cantering.

Cute, petite horse. I hope you get the problem sorted out.
    Last edited by craz4crtrs; Aug. 29, 2012 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Should have read the whole thread first...

OP - first you get the gold star for video creation w/out an assistant!
    Second, I have no additional thoughts on what isn't quite right.

However I'm wondering if 4 days is enough time for the injections to do their thing. I know that w/ maintenance joint injections, the time off is pretty short however I had to do cervical injections on my old TB last year (more acute situation) and was told to give him 6 weeks before doing anything w/ him other than turnout.
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Did the vet do flexions? I would give the injections more time and if he still isn't right I would have the vet do a full lameness exam.

I think hocks.
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

The back right hock looks stiff to me.

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    Do you know what the issue with the tail is? are you sure this is isolated from what is going on gaitwise
    Horse looks like an Arab and the tail carriage is fairly common in the breed. It is called "wry tail". My Arab will almost always cock his tail like that when he is moving, yet it hangs straight when he is at rest. He is sound, and a nice mover. But he does cock his tail.

Of course, the OP's horse could be cocking the tail because of lameness, etc. But a wry tail will cock like that in even a super sound horse.
    Sheilah

The tail thing looks normal for an Arab - every "mature"(aka broke for more than 6-9 months, 4yo+) Arabian I have met carries their tail off to one side or another. I can think of several examples, all getting a range of levels of care... From the 3ft+ jumper with amazing care, Chiro adjustments monthly, dental yearly to the backyard horse who saw the vet for his shots once or twice a year. Most of them do it