The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 61 of 62 FirstFirst ... 115159606162 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,220 of 1239

Quote Originally Posted by JGHIRETIRE View Post
    There was something just posted on FB saying that Canada stopped taking our horses for slaughter because of the bute issue. No idea if this is true or not.
    This is the press release you are looking for, I believe.

Sure SEEMS to be true from what I'm getting. It was only a matter of time before the drug-happy US horse industry got shaken and stirred. All over Europe, we're known as the horse-drugging capitol of the world - and now it's payback time!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Haven't they said they were going to do this for 2 years now and apparently no one really took it seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post

Sure SEEMS to be true from what I'm getting. It was only a matter of time before the drug-happy US horse industry got shaken and stirred. All over Europe, we're known as the horse-drugging capitol of the world - and now it's payback time!

Quote Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post

If that is true, no more "save from slaughter" for the current cause of the moment to ask for donations.

And how many people were saying that the drug issue wasn't important?

Quote Originally Posted by betonbill View Post
    And how many people were saying that the drug issue wasn't important?
    Well, don't know who would say that, when the illustrious HSUS president himself went jetsetting to Europe 1 1/2 years ago to coordinate animal rights extremist work to be done, their main work right then to get the drug issue in the news.
    Guess they finally got it done.

Ok, if the science is behind that, no one wants to poison their customers, of course.
    Not so ok if it is another trumped up deal, like the hormone in beef one, that finally had to go thru the International Tribunal and was shown to be terrible science and just one more trade barrier.

Will have to see how this progresses.

According to the manifests 14 loads of horses went through to Fort MacLeod today. I just spoke to the major brokerage house in Coutts and they have never heard of this. No announcement was made by United Horsemen...it would appear this is one of those "little stories" to rally the troops

I was at the Fort on Wednesday as they wanted us to come and see many of the changes to the chute system and no one mentioned anything.

This would not stop anything anyway. All it would do is make individual horse inspections necessary. An additional 25 $ cost per animal. The same inspection for any horse imported into Canada.

However the ones that went through today were, for the majority, feeder horses

My post to that forum...I phoned the plant and they told me that this happens EVERY FALL. A group will make this claim and it spreads stopping a few horse auctions in the U.S. The truck "turned around" was probably due to a violation:

Slaughter has not stopped 14 trucks went through today. There are TWO types of slaughter horses. 1. The truck has a TRUCK HEALTH INSPECTION..that means all of the horses are covered under that certificate AND they must be slaughtered within 96 hours. AND they do not have to go for food. There are over 100 other uses for the horses.

2. This is where EACH HORSE has a certificate..the same as if I am going to import a horse to Canada from the states for my breeding program OR if an American is coming to Canada for a horse show. That horse MAY BE SOLD at the slaughter house site

If the first was stopped the second could not be as it is NOT illegal to import horses into Canada for ANY REASON.

No horses have been turned back for the ANTI slaughter reason. If a truck was rejected it was due to a general healther certificate and he was transporting too many horses or there was evidence of illness or injury.

There is NO information regarding a stop of shipments of equines on CFIA website and I have not been notified of that and I am on their information list (means I am informed of ANY changes to equine imports or exports)

The EU is also not the only market. China, Japan, Philipines, etc ALL accept slaughter horses for human consumption from Canada.

Just had a call back from the Mexican Consulate in Calgary. They have NOT closed any of their plants. This falls under the NAFTA agreement and would require signatures from ALL three countries. They can put a temporary ban "until the next Nafta" meeting however it would not be law..only a 90 day stoppage. That is why Mad Cow Disease always has an open door...when R Calf tried to block Canadian Beef FOREVER...it could not pass (NAFTA is the North American Free Trade Agreement)

Straight from the horses Heart is nothing more than a group of tree huggers and pop bead clutchers. They have made this announcement before and they claimed they were going to save ALL of the horses by adoption...that would be lovely if they could. But they didn't and they can't.

I truly with these individuals would learn a little about international law and also how to look things up. Saying it was on United Horsemans website...then another poster states they can't find it...another says it is on CFIA site and NOPE...not there either.

I wonder if this is their pre Thanksgiving donation blitz

Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post
    They have NOT closed any of their plants.
    Who said anything about plants being closed????

It was stated that the plants are supposedly no longer accepting horses from the U.S.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

They are still processing horses - just supposedly not from the US

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytbs View Post
    Who said anything about plants being closed????

It was stated that the plants are supposedly no longer accepting horses from the U.S.

just a question: how would a plant know if a horse is from the US? couldn't someone bring over horses and then sell them once they are in CA or Mexico?

seems like propaganda....

They are supposed to have identification papers.
    The horse is supposed to have a history or a certificate that says it's drug free. That is if it's for human consumption.

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    just a question: how would a plant know if a horse is from the US? couldn't someone bring over horses and then sell them once they are in CA or Mexico?

seems like propaganda....

|the horses from the US come in in sealed trucks and only the plant can break the seal. That's ONE identification.
    Unfortunately, the Canadian horses are not included.. although I am sure the drugs ingested are the same.
    It's about time Europe wakes up an realizes what kind of meat they are eating. Even though, when I am in France and check the horse meat packages in the stores... country of origin very rarely shows US or Canada. It is mostly France, Belgium, Argentina, etc. I think I only found ONE package of Canadian origin. I have been checking for at least 10 years, every year, several supermarkets. Very few packages in comparison to the other meats... so really I wonder where all this horse meat is going!
    But I hope the horse meat eaters do get sick and at least get scared!

According to the manifests 14 loads of horses went through to Fort MacLeod today. I just spoke to the major brokerage house in Coutts
    I was at the Fort on Wednesday as they wanted us to come and see many of the changes to the chute system and no one mentioned anything.
    m...I phoned the plant and they told me that this happens EVERY FALL.
    Just had a call back from the Mexican Consulate in Calgary.
    Everyone relax...Fairfax along with his Seekrit CIA Ninja Operatives have this all under control.

Quote Originally Posted by Abercrombie View Post
    Everyone relax...Fairfax along with his Seekrit CIA Ninja Operatives have this all under control.
    Fairfax is most like on the phone with the President as I type this.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

Nope...I am gonna let this play out. Lovey, Aber et all...ECHO...here is YOUR opportunity to come up with solutions.

Imagine...all Twenty Thousand in feed lots turned loose...no where to send them. Even if they shoot them all...the carcas problem will be "high"

Canadians have, for a long time stated the influx of American horses has made it difficult to clear our excess the way it should be....this should help

The brokerage houses at the border do not have the shipments coming in until Monday so don't have any updates on that CFIA is closed...

Maybe this is just what is needed....y'all who want slaughter stopped

HERE IS YOUR OPPORTUNITY...please share Whatca gonna do?

The United Horsemen are quoting the EID put in place in JULY...oh well..will see how this is going to play out...

Who ya gonna call...Ghost Busters?

Guess none of you have C.C. family members. My sister, cousin and a great friend are all consulates...you know...those annoying individuals who can park their car in no parking and it can not be towed..

But Nope...can't access the President nor would I want to....heck..I can't even get a hold of the Prime Minister...but I can use the consulate for a great deal of information.

SO....WHATCHA GONNA DO? Lovey...Amber??Echo???

May we have the envelope with your solutions please.....

Fairfax:

You, of all people, have been the biggest disappointment to me. When you first started posting on this thread I thought, great, now we can get a relatively unbiased viewpoint on the entire slaughter procedure. Instead we get yet another frothing persona raving about the RARAs, the HSUS, and God knows what else (see posts directly above).

If this isn't true, what is true is that this scenario is only a matter of time--solely because of the drug situation--and hardly the fault of anyone other than the EU which is responsible for this industry here at this time.

The only way to assure drug-free horsemeat is if ranches raise horses strictly for meat, the way they do it in Europe. Then they would have valid passports and no problems whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by betonbill View Post
    Fairfax:

You, of all people, have been the biggest disappointment to me. When you first started posting on this thread I thought, great, now we can get a relatively unbiased viewpoint on the entire slaughter procedure. Instead we get yet another frothing persona raving about the RARAs, the HSUS, and God knows what else (see posts directly above).
    And you have only seen the small sampling here on COTH ...