The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 54 of 62 FirstFirst ... 4445253545556 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,080 of 1239

Exactly. What's wrong with this picture.

Quote Originally Posted by sunridge1 View Post
    Yeah like formulating a bill/law (gah can't remember the thing) to hold the small dairy farmers hostage to a middle man who garners nearly ALL the profit and at the same time makes it ILLEGAL for me to get raw milk from the local farmer. Keeping me safe.

Talk about WTF.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    You do have a point there, those drug residues are not relevant, as most drugs we use are out of the system in a few days anyway and very hard to find in some tissues we don't eat, like Gentamicin in the kidneys past a few months.

We need to remember that those drugs are the same we use in human medicine, but yes, we don't want them in the food we eat and there are regulations for that.

That is one reason all slaughter plants have inspectors and labs in house and test intensively.
    When we export any products, meats or grains or whatever, they again are tested with specific protocols to the product and any residues found will condemn the whole batch.

Those horse plants we had were very aware of that.
    They had strict testing protocols, as it is much easier to condemn a small batch at the plant than have a whole shipment condemned and so not paid for after all the expenses incurred to get it to other countries.

In reality, most horses going to slaughter never tested positive for anything.
    Horses are not all under the management of those that happily medicate them at every turn, as some here say they do.
    I find that a bit worrisome and would suggest they check with their vet about that and see about changing something, as it really is not normal to have need for a continuously medicated horse for normal horses in general use.
    They don't find many because they don't test many! One year in the U.S. when the slaughter palnts were operating here they didnt even test ONE! It is all public record!

http://canadianhorsedefencecoalition...cy-to-die-for/

"The CFIA acted responsibly by subsequently reporting this finding to the USDA, and no doubt the discovery would have further bolstered the Canadian agency’s ongoing claims of running an effective system and ensuring the safety of the food supply. However, what is not readily brought to the public eye is the fact that the CFIA’s rate of phenylbutazone testing on horse carcasses is an abysmal 0.152% (143 samples taken on 93,812 horses in 2009)."

and what did they do when they find something? It took a YEAR to send a 'WARNING' letter.

http://canadianhorsedefencecoalition...08/fda_doc.pdf

Lefever created EID's and shipped 120 TB's.... was there a recall? If people only knew what they were eating!

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/ra...f-them-is-dead

You can continue the "sky is falling" or everyone opposed to slaughtering horses is an animal rights extremist as no one is buying it except maybe the animal food producers which of course are all in favor of slaughtering horses - they ought to take interest. As more is learned about how inadequate the testing protocals are, they may start looking a little harder at 'regulated food animal testing'. They would be the loudest to cry foul if another country started shipping into the U.S. and undercutting their market, inferior meat products that were produced without any regulations!!

Extremists are basically bullies. The US is not going to take their side. Extremists are similar to cults. Mentally healthy people do not side with them.
    and this..... I guess if the only thing you have in support of inhumanely slaughtering horses is to align those opposed to horse slaughter as an "extremist", I shouldn't be surprised..... but really? Please do explain!

Canadian Horse Defence Coalition has been well known to "falsify" information

They are an EQUINE RIGHTS organization and they follow the teachings of PETA, HSUS and have featured their "white paper" by Allen Warren..he actually states that many of the equines from TEAM USA and Canada will be sent to slaughter..

This is the lead in to his story: Aug 07. 2012

(Note: Written By Allen Warren, this paper not only proposes a change in the legal status of equine,

but also delves into the pre-1990 history of equine slaughter – Jerry Finch, Habitat for Horses3..

http://canadianhorsedefencecoalition...-allen-warren/

I was sure you didn't come up with your ongoing "facts" from your own research...wow..you really do follow the ANIMAL RIGHTS equal to HUMAN RIGHTS philosophy.

Their informercial is just that.

TO NATIONAL ANIMAL WELFARE ORGANIZATIONS WITH A PRESENCE IN WASHINGTON D.C. AND OTTAWA: It’s time to remove horses from the death grip of USDA and BLM and introduce national legislation that will redefine them so they are recognized and protected for what they really are, companion/sports animals. The current horse protection bills don’t go far enough. Let’s use the time they are locked in committee to offer amendments to these or new legislation that truly solve the problem.

I think I have been able to explain and also give a link which clearly proves you are Animal Rights...and yes...you are an extremist

No need for anyone to respond to you....Your position is very well defined

from your link
    This is the determination that virtually all meat from horses raised in Canada and the U.S. contains drug residues that are harmful to human health. While true food chain animals are strictly regulated from birth to slaughter for not only what drugs can be administered but also even what foods they eat, there are no such restrictions on horses and they are commonly given a long list of veterinary medications that have recently been established as dangerous to human health.

Further, there is no system for life long tracking of horses in North America and therefore no reliable method to determine the history of the use of these medications or even effective test protocols available at the point of slaughter to determine the levels in each animal. The Canadian Food Inspection Agency does do some post-mortem testing but far too little, and these are of muscle tissue rather than the kidney and other internal organs where the real danger lies. Recent tests of finished product in both France and Belgium have determined the presence of toxins in horse meat imported from Canada, proving how inadequate these tests really are. (Note: A link to the complete list of the drugs found in horse meat and their harmful effects on human health is provided at the end of this paper.)
    You believe that anyone that states a fact that isn't in support of horse slaughter is an 'extremist'. You are not helping your 'cause'.

How about developing and proposing a humane system that would have NO affect on horseowners that don't want to be included and would prohibit adulterated horses from entering a human food chain?

Quote Originally Posted by Echo View Post
    ...08/fda_doc.pdf

You can continue the "sky is falling" or everyone opposed to slaughtering horses is an animal rights extremist as no one is buying it except maybe the animal food producers which of course are all in favor of slaughtering horses - they ought to take interest. As more is learned about how inadequate the testing protocals are, they may start looking a little harder at 'regulated food animal testing'. They would be the loudest to cry foul if another country started shipping into the U.S. and undercutting their market, inferior meat products that were produced without any regulations!!

and this..... I guess if the only thing you have in support of inhumanely slaughtering horses is to align those opposed to horse slaughter as an "extremist", I shouldn't be surprised..... but really? Please do explain!
    I do not have a problem with slaughter. I do not support inhumane slaughtering of horses. I do not support an abusive system of slaughter. Nor am I a RARA. Nor do I think anyone who opposes horse slaughter is a RARA. Nor do I support the belief that RARA's (essentially cult members) are going to take away all our animals.

Dispatcher...you do not quote word for word from those who "present THEIR facts" as correct when they are known Animal Rights enthusiasts.

Echo quotes them repeatedly...their whole argument is "drugs in the meat...bad bad bad...lets stop all slaughter"

The industry in Canada has made major changes and upgrades.

I have no reason to believe the same would not occur in the U.S.

Problem is, Anti Slaughter groups hold slaughter to a higher criteria than we, as people, receive in the very best hospitals.

10,000 horses slaughtered and no problems...then have two back to back problems and this group scream abuse (favourite word as it has now made it that you can't even touch your child on the rear without a potential charge)..but then..that is their goal...one can only VIEW their horse...one must never touch it..

Problem with ECHO's post is they are from the Canadian group KNOWN to believe strictly in Animal Rights...Equal treatment horses - people

Echo has not present a unique thought...she sold her horses...feels guilt..and now wants to extend her guilt onto the backs of everyone else.

I don't quote from articles, speeches and such because, for the most part they are just opinions. We can make anything we want of statistics so that's kind of useless to quote.

I have seen RARA crap and just disregard it. The same as I disregard other activist words on whatever they are spewing about at present.

Horse Slaughter, a very volatile subject. Yet I think we all agree that those of us here do not want to see the horses suffer cruel treatment. And the way horse slaughter goes in some places, from start to finish, a lot of them do suffer cruel treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by Dispatcher View Post
    I don't quote from articles, speeches and such because, for the most part they are just opinions. We can make anything we want of statistics so that's kind of useless to quote.

I have seen RARA crap and just disregard it. The same as I disregard other activist words on whatever they are spewing about at present.

Horse Slaughter, a very volatile subject. Yet I think we all agree that those of us here do not want to see the horses suffer cruel treatment. And the way horse slaughter goes in some places, from start to finish, a lot of them do suffer cruel treatment.
    You better listen when the ARAs talk though.
    they tell you who they are and how they won't stop until they get their way.
    Kind of like a certain historical figure I won't invoke, he outlined what he was going to do and how he was going about it.
    And he was disregarded....and look what happened!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax View Post
    Dispatcher...you do not quote word for word from those who "present THEIR facts" as correct when they are known Animal Rights enthusiasts.

Echo quotes them repeatedly...their whole argument is "drugs in the meat...bad bad bad...lets stop all slaughter"

The industry in Canada has made major changes and upgrades.

I have no reason to believe the same would not occur in the U.S.

Problem is, Anti Slaughter groups hold slaughter to a higher criteria than we, as people, receive in the very best hospitals.

10,000 horses slaughtered and no problems...then have two back to back problems and this group scream abuse (favourite word as it has now made it that you can't even touch your child on the rear without a potential charge)..but then..that is their goal...one can. only VIEW their horse...one must never touch it..

Problem with ECHO's post is they are from the Canadian group KNOWN to believe strictly in Animal Rights...Equal treatment horses - people

Echo has not present a unique thought...she sold her horses...feels guilt..and now wants to extend her guilt onto the backs of everyone else.
    This article explains why some that are pro-slaughter persist.....
    http://habitatforhorses.org/horse-sl...r-money-trail/

Show me an unedited video of 10000 horses slaughtered with 'NO problems' - there are plenty to the contrary. Just do a you tube search on horse slaughter.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2O2ZmN0rMsc

If you can, attend the following conference:
    http://www.equinewelfarealliance.org...ence-final.pdf

"

International Equine Conference Press Event to be Held at UNLV Campus

Chicago (EWA) - The Equine Welfare Alliance (EWA) and Respect4Horses are holding a press conference that will feature sponsors and presenters from the International Equine Conference (IEC). The press conference will be held at the University of Nevada Las Vegas (UNLV) campus in the Stan Fulton Bldg. on Friday, September 21, 2012 at 11 A.M.

Current issues surrounding the BLM roundups of our wild horses and burros and horse slaughter for human consumption in the United States and its social and environmental impacts will be discussed at the press conference. The general public as well as students and faculty of the university are invited to attend. Refreshments will be served at the press conference.

The conference will be held on Saturday and Sunday, September 22 & 23, 2012, at the UNLV campus Stan Fulton Bldg. Current initiatives, legislative issues and progress addressing the care and futures of domestic and wild horses and burros in this country will be covered by an impressive and diverse panel of experts.

Registration for the full conference will be available at the press conference as well as Friday evening at a reception for attendees and on Saturday and Sunday morning prior to the start of the conference. A continental breakfast and lunch will be served on both days."

Conference Registration link: http://events.r20.constantcontact.co...&llr=omaglqdab

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    You better listen when the ARAs talk though.
    they tell you who they are and how they won't stop until they get their way.
    Kind of like a certain historical figure I won't invoke, he outlined what he was going to do and how he was going about it.
    And he was disregarded....and look what happened!
    The thing is, I don't hear anything from them. I live close to ther city Phila, where there are carriage horses. and city stables Not a peep from the newscasters about ARA's.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo View Post
    This article explains why some that are pro-slaughter persist.....
    http://habitatforhorses.org/horse-sl...r-money-trail/

Show me an unedited video of 10000 horses slaughtered with 'NO problems' - there are plenty to the contrary. Just do a you tube search on horse slaughter.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2O2ZmN0rMsc

If you can, attend the following conference:
    http://www.equinewelfarealliance.org...ence-final.pdf

"

International Equine Conference Press Event to be Held at UNLV Campus

Chicago (EWA) - The Equine Welfare Alliance (EWA) and Respect4Horses are holding a press conference that will feature sponsors and presenters from the International Equine Conference (IEC). The press conference will be held at the University of Nevada Las Vegas (UNLV) campus in the Stan Fulton Bldg. on Friday, September 21, 2012 at 11 A.M.

Current issues surrounding the BLM roundups of our wild horses and burros and horse slaughter for human consumption in the United States and its social and environmental impacts will be discussed at the press conference. The general public as well as students and faculty of the university are invited to attend. Refreshments will be served at the press conference.

The conference will be held on Saturday and Sunday, September 22 & 23, 2012, at the UNLV campus Stan Fulton Bldg. Current initiatives, legislative issues and progress addressing the care and futures of domestic and wild horses and burros in this country will be covered by an impressive and diverse panel of experts.

Registration for the full conference will be available at the press conference as well as Friday evening at a reception for attendees and on Saturday and Sunday morning prior to the start of the conference. A continental breakfast and lunch will be served on both days."

Conference Registration link: http://events.r20.constantcontact.co...&llr=omaglqdab
    ALL RARA's...and one in particular did suggest are a previous symposium that humans should be allowed TO ADOPT, with all the rights a child would be given..a lifetime horse...complete with tax deductions...

I guess we can safely discount your previous comment that you were NOT a rep for Animal Rights.

I wonder if they will open the conference with the "worship the tree" as they did in San Diego...too many men, my age, with their hair in ponytails...what next...jeans below the butt?

I just wish you would quit denying your admiration of the animals equal humans philosophy.

Kinda like Scientologists saying...we don't want to control you...and they don't...just your wallet...

So would you object if Sue Wallis was putting it on??
    I'm sure about the last thing she does is "worship a tree".........

ALL RARA's...and one in particular did suggest are a previous symposium that humans should be allowed TO ADOPT, with all the rights a child would be given..a lifetime horse...complete with tax deductions...

I guess we can safely discount your previous comment that you were NOT a rep for Animal Rights.

I wonder if they will open the conference with the "worship the tree" as they did in San Diego...too many men, my age, with their hair in ponytails...what next...jeans below the butt?

I just wish you would quit denying your admiration of the animals equal humans philosophy.

Kinda like Scientologists saying...we don't want to control you...and they don't...just your wallet...

...I am already tired working 18 hours per day.
    Most people don't consider trolling the web and posting endless diatribes on internet forums actual "work" --

But I'm sure you must be exhausted nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by Abercrombie View Post
    Most people don't consider trolling the web and posting endless diatribes on internet forums actual "work" --

Naah...It's the defending horse abusers/neglectors that is really tiring...

Quote Originally Posted by Abercrombie View Post

That was a good one..I even laughed although exhausted

Last count I was around 640 compared to some you support who are in the tens of thousands.

I do work..not traditional of course..but 12 Saddlebreds with me, a commercial pet kennel and the "interview circuit" do keep me rather busy.

I gather by your posts you are much younger than I, which is wonderful. Someday, when you have something of value to say and you are paid for it you too might feel a tad bit tired.

Until then...just enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    Naah...It's the defending horse abusers/neglectors that is really tiring...
    Fact finding and research so one has the truth can be quite exhausting.

You should try it sometime.

Fact finding and research so one has the truth can be quite exhausting.

You should try it sometime.
    you are still feeding the spiky haired constituency....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Thumbs up Kudos to New Jersey Gov Christie!

http://www.northjersey.com/news/New_...nsumption.html

A new law prohibits the slaughter of horses for human consumption and the sale of horse meat in New Jersey.

“This bipartisan measure is a nod to our decency and respect for horses in our state, ensuring that no horse is slaughtered in New Jersey for human consumption. It also ensures that our highways will not be used to transport horses to slaughter in other states which have not enacted a similar ban on the practice,” Christie said in a statement.

One state at a time....
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jenm View Post
    http://www.northjersey.com/news/New_...nsumption.html

A new law prohibits the slaughter of horses for human consumption and the sale of horse meat in New Jersey.

“This bipartisan measure is a nod to our decency and respect for horses in our state, ensuring that no horse is slaughtered in New Jersey for human consumption. It also ensures that our highways will not be used to transport horses to slaughter in other states which have not enacted a similar ban on the practice,” Christie said in a statement.

One state at a time....
    You missed the point FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION They can still be slaughtered and sent to slaughter...just not packaged and eaten.

She has also been notified that the state can now be held financially responsible FOR ALL HORSES sold at auction. It will be the obligation of the state to provide for each horse that could have gone to a kill for human consumption buyer.

Works for me. It is now estimated ( not official yet) that the state (a very poor one at that) will probably be required to have tax payers spring for over TWENTY MILLION DOLLARS.

She had only done this for the election year. It will be recinded as soon as she gets the financial costs in.

But then this is in Obama's plan. Remove private industry and have the government assume responsibility and spread the costs and the wealth around.

Way To Go New Jersey...

You missed the point FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION They can still be slaughtered and sent to slaughter...just not packaged and eaten.

She has also been notified that the state can now be held financially responsible FOR ALL HORSES sold at auction. It will be the obligation of the state to provide for each horse that could have gone to a kill for human consumption buyer.

Works for me. It is now estimated ( not official yet) that the state (a very poor one at that) will probably be required to have tax payers spring for over TWENTY MILLION DOLLARS.

She had only done this for the election year. It will be recinded as soon as she gets the financial costs in.

But then this is in Obama's plan. Remove private industry and have the government assume responsibility and spread the costs and the wealth around.

Way To Go New Jersey...
    No, I fully understand the point. I have also always understood that slaughtering horses is not illegal, slaughtering for meat is.

And by the way, Gov. Christie is a man.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg