The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Extreme Mustang Makeover

Elisa Wallace is an Eventer based out of Jasper, GA participating for the first time in the Extreme Mustang Makeover (http://www.extrememustangmakeover.com/). The Extreme Mustang Makeover is an initiative of the Mustang Heritage Foundation in partnership with the Bureau of Land Management. The program manages the American wild horse population by taking mustangs and giving them to trainers for 90 - 120 days (plus $700 for expenses), after which time trainers and horses compete and make the horses available for adoption to good homes. It's a win-win-win situation since the mustangs are given a good home (instead of being sent to slaughter), trainers have the opportunity to tame a wild horse and participate in an important part of America's heritage, and owners get a well-trained horse at a great price.

Elisa is now at the halfway point in her training of 'Fledge,' and has made fantastic progress! We have been documenting their experience on YouTube and posting regular updates to Facebook and Twitter. Elisa will compete with Fledge in Clemson, South Carolina, on October 19-21, 2012.

--
    Timothy Harfield, Communications Director
    Team Wallace Eventing | http://www.teamwallace.org

1 members found this post helpful.

Wow, that's awesome! Fledge is so cool. I've always wanted a Mustang. Will be watching for updates!

We've just added some spectacular photos of Elisa and Fledge on our Facebook page. Check them out here! http://is.gd/97NWtH

Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | YouTube

so lovely to see what she has done with him!! can't wait to see more....

Great to see this! I just watched her 30 day video and that is really impressive. We've watched the competition in Ft. Worth since the beginning, and the 1st couple of years it was really fun. It's now turned into just a reining show
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

I watched Day 1 - what an incredibly laid back, unphazed guy

Amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Founder & President, Dapplebay, Inc.
    Creative Director, Equestrian Culture Magazine
    Take us to print!

Just got done watching all the videos! Amazing! My favorite was the trail one where she's like "So, it's day four and I'm taking my supposedly wild mustang stallion out on a trail ride..."

1 members found this post helpful.

Wow! Thank you for all the support! Elisa is working really hard with Fledge, but the biggest challenge is going to be letting Fledge go at the end of his training.

This is the first time we've posted here, but given the interest, we'll be sure to post more updates soon.

Awesome! Best of luck!
    Standing Nasiriya - 17h JC registered stallion
    http://www.DonovanFarm.com
    Looking to buy or sell Horse Property? Contact me!
    www.TexasEquestrianProperties.com

I too just finished watching the videos and I must say I am very impressed! I've just started into really working with horses (Learning to work with an eventing OTTB who was on pasture rest for a while with an amazing trainer), and really hope to become that skilled as a horse person one day.

Good luck with the rest of the training and I hope to see more videos!

One question I do have is how many hours a day on average is she working with him?

Thanks everyone for the support! In the beginning I worked with him twice a day, the most important time was our hanging out time, and bonding. Now riding wise I try to keep a variety and not let him get confused, because he is a bit of a perfectionist. At this point, I generally play with him once a day, try to spend as much time with him as I can. He is my buddy, and everyone who has met him calls him my dog. He is such an amazing little guy, who is very loyal, has a ton of heart, and has taught me so much. Mustangs are awesome.

Elisa

Default UPDATE: Fledge at 90 Days

Just four more weeks to go until the final competition on October 20th in Clemson, North Carolina! Elisa has posted an update, and we hope to have more video for you soon.

http://teamwallace.org/blog/196-emm-update-2

Thanks for following!

Quote Originally Posted by TeamWallaceEventing View Post
    Wow! Thank you for all the support! Elisa is working really hard with Fledge, but the biggest challenge is going to be letting Fledge go at the end of his training.

This is the first time we've posted here, but given the interest, we'll be sure to post more updates soon.
    You don't HAVE to let him go. I've talked to several of the trainers at the Ft. Worth show that bought their horses back.

After a couple of years of saying we didn't want to go watch anymore, we broke down and went to the afternoon session last Sat. The pair that won was amazing. We talked to the trainer afterward in the barn, and he was peeling the "adopt me" sticker off of the stall door. He said a month ago he didn't think he was even going to bring him (trainer is from Utah), but about 2 weeks ago something finally clicked. Now he can't let him go.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Quote Originally Posted by teamwallace View Post
    He is my buddy, and everyone who has met him calls him my dog. He is such an amazing little guy, who is very loyal, has a ton of heart, and has taught me so much. Mustangs are awesome.

Elisa
    I imagine it will be a difficult transition for him to be sold, after bonding so thoroughly with you. Maybe you should just keep him.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

I dont think the show in Clemson will be a reining show. Several atlanta area trainers are dressage eventing and H/J trainers Fledge looks terrific looking forward to watching you two
    Gallop on

What's the difference between the Extreme Mustang Makeover and the Supreme Mustang Makeover with the video in the other thread?

just watched the latest video and had to say what a great job!

That little guy is just too cute...and rather fancy too! Hope that you keep him and go eventing
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Very cool!

Default Fledge Video Update

Looks like some of you have already found our most recent video update! For those of you who haven't seen it, you can check it out here:

http://www.teamwallace.org/blog/202-emm-90days

Thank you to everyone for your encouragement! Elisa is definitely looking at ways to keep him, looking at grants, but also actively looking for interested owners who want to see her continue to work with Fledge beyond the competition in Clemson. If you or someone you know would like to become an owner, please contact us. This horse has a lot of potential and we'd love to see more of what he can do!