The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Porta potties at horse shows.

It doesn't seem to be rocket science to have enough of these things so that they stay somewhat clean, don't run out of TP, and you can get to one without walking a country mile.

Or to empty them with some regularity during the show week. So pleasant going into one with a pyramid of poop reaching near the top!

Also, would it be too much to ask to have disinfectant wipes next to the TP? Have a container holder built in? They have them at grocery stores next to the carts, why not have them in port-o-potties too?

Quote Originally Posted by pds View Post
    Or to empty them with some regularity during the show week. So pleasant going into one with a pyramid of poop reaching near the top!

Yes, its quite evident that the majority of horse show folks get the 'nervous poops'.

I know a show that tried to put big boxes of sani wipes in each port o pot...they lasted less then 5 minutes before they walked off....

The pots do cost a bit and you usually dont get a dump for a weekend and only get one dump with the flat rate for 3-5 days. You can pay more but that means it has to come out of entry fees or grounds fees so your smaller shows are hard pressed to do it.

The AA shows around this area are pretty good about it-and can afford it. Have no complaints on that.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

I was at the Hampton Classic on Sunday, and just love their fancy porta potty trailers, with AC, flush toilets, sinks with running water, lots of TP and paper towels, liquid soap and very nicely decorated. Even mirrors, you have all the comforts of home almost and they don't even smell bad. Of course that was the first day of the show.

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    I was at the Hampton Classic on Sunday, and just love their fancy porta potty trailers, with AC, flush toilets, sinks with running water, lots of TP and paper towels, liquid soap and very nicely decorated. Even mirrors, you have all the comforts of home almost and they don't even smell bad. Of course that was the first day of the show.
    Yes! These are actually decent. Too bad more shows don't use them.

Quote Originally Posted by Satin Filly View Post
    Yes! These are actually decent. Too bad more shows don't use them.
    Maybe more people should complain to management, after all, you people spend a fortune to horse show, I would think decent toilet facilities should be a given considering what it costs you. I realize they are expensive, but still, being forced to use what is really just a filthy outhouse is unacceptable IMO. Glad I don't show and only occasionally show up to spectate.

For what it costs to show at the Hampton Classic and the demographic that shows and spectates, they ought to be gold plated...
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Maybe this topic qualifies as another argument for buying a living-quarters horse trailer. At least if it's gross, it's your *own* gross.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

Or, having TP at all in them on sunday...common problem at some shows. I got to where I just brought my own to use on sundays
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Keswick had those a few years back, too (do they still? Idk - I've managed to be on vacation for that week for the last few years). And they are nice for 1 day. 1 day.

BUT all and all (HITS Culpeper, I'm looking at you and that PP that's between the Grand Prix ring and the jumper 1), Porta Potties at horse shows are the reason I carry hand sanitizer in bags, trunks, grooming boxes, everywhere and leave the weekend getting a decent quad workout. But let us not complain too loudly, or we'll see another fee on our entry blanks to have them cleaned more regularly.

I think the horse show I was at last week had 400+ horses, ran Tues-Sun and there were about 15 porta-potties at most. Things were not pretty on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy17 View Post
    Keswick had those a few years back, too (do they still? Idk - I've managed to be on vacation for that week for the last few years). And they are nice for 1 day. 1 day.

BUT all and all (HITS Culpeper, I'm looking at you and that PP that's between the Grand Prix ring and the jumper 1), Porta Potties at horse shows are the reason I carry hand sanitizer in bags, trunks, grooming boxes, everywhere and leave the weekend getting a decent quad workout. But let us not complain too loudly, or we'll see another fee on our entry blanks to have them cleaned more regularly.
    Or they could just put in these and do away with TP all together.
    http://youtu.be/dKkryfdtMNQ

1 members found this post helpful.

Cool

This is really a smelly/stinky subject!!!!! Just sayin
    Aefvue Farm Ft.Lauderdale

CW Post on Long Island brought out Porta Potties for the guests - barring us from the cafe and the proper toilets!! That's just RUDE!! Not to mention DUMB as they lost out on tons of business at the cafe!

I'm no fan of the Porta Potty!!! Eeewww!!
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

Dude, I could live in that at a horse show
    Standing Nasiriya - 17h JC registered stallion
    http://www.DonovanFarm.com
    Looking to buy or sell Horse Property? Contact me!
    www.TexasEquestrianProperties.com

Quote Originally Posted by ako View Post
    CW Post on Long Island brought out Porta Potties for the guests - barring us from the cafe and the proper toilets!! That's just RUDE!! Not to mention DUMB as they lost out on tons of business at the cafe!

I'm no fan of the Porta Potty!!! Eeewww!!
    Yes, I noticed that this summer, is that something new? And if you think that is bad, my cousin did the same thing, had a PP set up in her backyard at a family party, to keep us out of her home and bathroom I guess.

Yes, I noticed that this summer, is that something new? And if you think that is bad, my cousin did the same thing, had a PP set up in her backyard at a family party, to keep us out of her home and bathroom I guess.
    Now that is just too rude! Wow! That is, frankly, one of THE rudest things I can imagine doing to guests! Probably not your favorite cousin now!
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

Quote Originally Posted by ako View Post
    Now that is just too rude! Wow! That is, frankly, one of THE rudest things I can imagine doing to guests! Probably not your favorite cousin now!
    Well I tried to give her the benefit of the doubt, thinking perhaps she has cesspool problems and it was a large group of people, I'm just lucky I must have a bladder the size of a camel's and didn't need to use it. This year she had another family party though and no PPs in sight, we were allowed to use the bathroom, so maybe she got some complaints.

My barn goes to schooling shows at a location that also holds large rated shows. The porta-potties are THE WORST after a week rated show because they don't get emptied. It's gag-worthy. The only nice thing about them is that some of them are handicapped porta-potties and they are a little bigger. But still, they smell awful!