The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default 2013 YH/Developing Horse Championships

Does anyone know where they will be next year?

I've heard in CA or CO...I miss the Kentucky Horse Park.

thanks for the info

CA or CO??? Rats. There go my plans to do the push.

CA is a ridiculous idea - it would be incredibly expensive for the East Coasters to get there.

Although not as far away as CA, CO would also be out of reach for most folks in the NE and SE.

Seems having them in the middle of the country makes the most sense. I like the KY horse park, because it is so accessible for most of the country. Lamplight is a little bit far for many folks, esp. those who would like to come observe. Besides, Lexington is a far more pleasant place for horse lovers than Chicago!

Having been to both, Kentucky and Illinois for the young horse championships, my vote is for Illinois! Much nicer, classier, and horse- and spectactor-friendly than Kentucky.

Just my opinion.... :-)
    Siegi Belz
    www.stalleuropa.com
    2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
    Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.

Quote Originally Posted by DownYonder View Post
    CA is a ridiculous idea - it would be incredibly expensive for the East Coasters to get there.

Although not as far away as CA, CO would also be out of reach for most folks in the NE and SE.

Seems having them in the middle of the country makes the most sense. I like the KY horse park, because it is so accessible for most of the country. Lamplight is a little bit far for many folks, esp. those who would like to come observe. Besides, Lexington is a far more pleasant place for horse lovers than Chicago!
    KY is just as bad for anybody from the west coast! It involves a multi-day drive that generally requires a professional hauler, or an extremely expensive flight. There are a lot of wonderful riders in CA with excellent young horses who forego the YH championships on a regular basis because of the distance. It has always been fairly far east, it's about time for it to come somewhere accessible to west coast riders.

I always find it odd the places people think are near the middle of the US.

Are there any big venues in Kansas? Colorado, Oklahoma or Texas are the states which seem most likely to have big enough venues near the middle of the country. I say without any actual knowledge. I always think of Tulsa as the equitable place for competitions from my breed show days, but I don't have any idea what facilities are around these days.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Quote Originally Posted by siegi b. View Post
    Having been to both, Kentucky and Illinois for the young horse championships, my vote is for Illinois! Much nicer, classier, and horse- and spectactor-friendly than Kentucky.

Just my opinion.... :-)

Mine Too!!! Lamplight is the MOST BEAUTIFUL, MOST accommodating show facility I have ever been to!

It seems geography is no longer taught. Kentucky in the middle of the country???

Quote Originally Posted by out west View Post
    It seems geography is no longer taught. Kentucky in the middle of the country???
    You are right, it isn't in the middle of country. But it is closer to the middle than California.

Just saying, it isn't fair to easterners to have it in CA, just as it isn't fair to westerners to have it in PA, or VA. (And there are a heck of a lot of "eastern" based breeders/trainers involved in the Y/H programs.)

Wasn't USDF located originally in Lincoln NB, because it was determined to be the geographic "middle" of the US? Maybe they should have it there...

But if they insist on rotating it, then I would vote for CO over CA, just as I would vote for IL or KY over a more eastern state. Heck, why not move it around like the USDF convention? Of course, that would require show managers that were up to the task. Not an easy feat in some parts...

According to the USEF National Dressage Program Director, the 2013 USEF National Young Horse and Developing Horse Championships will be held at Lamplight Equestrian Center in Wayne, IL. It is a beautifully landscaped facility with extremely nice arenas and viewing pavilions.

The Dressage Seat Medal Championships will be held in Colorado. I am not sure of the venue.

someone have some plans for a YH??? Hmmm...?

;o)

Thumbs down

I brought my mare to the YH championships when she was 4, 5 and 6 years old. We qualified all three years. It was an 800 mile drive for me from Atlanta.

Lamplight is a beautiful, well run facility with easy access to the rings from the barn area and plenty of spectator seating very close to the arenas. The food was fabulous and the help/organizers were the best.

While KY horse park is great, it is so big. Showing there is kind of like going to watch a pro baseball game in a stadium verses going to a smaller ball park where you are very close to the players. Or the difference between going to Belmont race track and Saratoga. Both venues are fine but I loved the park-like atmosphere of Lamplight. KY horse park was certainly much closer for me (I overnighted right across from the KYHP as a half way point), but Lamplight is well worth the trip. My horse was very relaxed at Lamplight.

So I vote lamplight! CA would have been out of my budget. Colorado