The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Slaughter in Ireland Quadruples/what about gene pool?

A somewhat awkwardly-written article, and not comprehensive, but depressing and worrisome just the same.

Aside from all of the usual dolorous thoughts an uptick in slaughter brings to mind, I'm thinking about the bio-diversity lost to the equine gene pool on such a small island? (and yes, I know indiscriminate breeding makes that thought into a conundrum, but still...)

http://www.independent.ie/national-n...s-3210212.html
    Last edited by michaleenflynn; Aug. 28, 2012 at 01:09 PM.
    VP Horse & Carriage Association of NYC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-F...ref=ts&fref=ts

This just makes me feel sick. Not your post, michaleenflynn, the situation.

It reminds me of a paragraph (it was only a paragraph) in a book I read once on the history of Thoroughbreds--the paragraph said basically that despite the famine in Ireland, Thoroughbred breeding did not suffer.

I can't go into that anymore. That makes me feel sick too.

It is worse than a tragedy and I despair.
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

Quote Originally Posted by Wellspotted View Post

It reminds me of a paragraph (it was only a paragraph) in a book I read once on the history of Thoroughbreds--the paragraph said basically that despite the famine in Ireland, Thoroughbred breeding did not suffer.

I feel the same, Wellspotted.

There was not a widespread food shortage during the famine. Ireland was actually exporting food. However the poor could not buy food when their own potatoes failed.

ETA:The current situation is not just a matter of overbreeding. Ireland has almost 15% unemployment
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by michaleenflynn View Post
    I feel the same, Wellspotted.
    So what's to be done?

So what's to be done?
    Well, I have to remind myself of the wisdom of the serenity prayer, sometimes multiple times a day, "accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can...", even when it offers little solace.

I have my hands full and more, simply fighting the everyday battles it takes to keep my industry alive and well, protecting it from the incessant attacks of those who wish to see us gone. Even if I did have time to spare, I don't see what myself, or really any of us, could do to mitigate the economic problems of a foreign country as they pertain to horse slaughter.

I like that old starfish tale, you know, where the little girl is throwing starfish back into the ocean? An old man says to her, why are you doing that, there are so many, it will make no difference -- and she says, "It'll make a difference to this one." I try to live that way - make sure that my horses never want for anything, and never will, and help others that may cross my path when I can, which I do love to do; and lately have had several good opportunities to make a difference for that 'one'.

But the pain of knowing what is going on at large never goes away, as you know - it's always right there, under the surface. Just tonight, on FB, a friend of mine who is the director of a sanctuary told a particularly poignant story about a mare they have. My mind instantly multiplied this mare's experience and behavior that was described by the thousands who no doubt share it, and I just simply burst into tears at the keyboard. I am not a handwringer by nature, but the brutality and suffering and loss out there in the equine world swishes and glugs around inside my brain like a barrel of water on a boat, slopping over the sides sometimes. Of course, my tears aren't gonna help a horse who needs a job and a home, so I try not to dwell and be self-indulgent about my own pain caused by it.

So, sorry to ramble on, but in answer to your question - I don't know that anything can be done about it, except offer up prayer.

So what's to be done?
    Americans who event need to stop going to Ireland in the belief the only good sporthorses are bred in Ireland.

It's time to "Buy American" for oh so many reasons...
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Well, I have to remind myself of the wisdom of the serenity prayer, sometimes multiple times a day, "accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can...", even when it offers little solace.

I have my hands full and more, simply fighting the everyday battles it takes to keep my industry alive and well, protecting it from the incessant attacks of those who wish to see us gone. Even if I did have time to spare, I don't see what myself, or really any of us, could do to mitigate the economic problems of a foreign country as they pertain to horse slaughter.

I like that old starfish tale, you know, where the little girl is throwing starfish back into the ocean? An old man says to her, why are you doing that, there are so many, it will make no difference -- and she says, "It'll make a difference to this one." I try to live that way - make sure that my horses never want for anything, and never will, and help others that may cross my path when I can, which I do love to do; and lately have had several good opportunities to make a difference for that 'one'.

But the pain of knowing what is going on at large never goes away, as you know - it's always right there, under the surface. Just tonight, on FB, a friend of mine who is the director of a sanctuary told a particularly poignant story about a mare they have. My mind instantly multiplied this mare's experience and behavior that was described by the thousands who no doubt share it, and I just simply burst into tears at the keyboard. I am not a handwringer by nature, but the brutality and suffering and loss out there in the equine world swishes and glugs around inside my brain like a barrel of water on a boat, slopping over the sides sometimes. Of course, my tears aren't gonna help a horse who needs a job and a home, so I try not to dwell and be self-indulgent about my own pain caused by it.

So, sorry to ramble on, but in answer to your question - I don't know that anything can be done about it, except offer up prayer.
    I am afraid that you and all of us that have and work with animals are fighting I think a losing battle.

The NYC carriage horses, horse slaughter, are very small potatoes to animal rights groups drive to eliminate all use of animals.

Animal rights extremists have the world by the tail, because they can always find someone abusing or that looks like they are abusing any animals and their propaganda goes on and on with so many cluelessly defending them, as you can see here, because they think stopping the, really, rare abuses is worth banning all animal uses.

Here is the latest in their current fall drive to eliminate all uses of animals:

http://laist.com/2012/06/11/animal_r...ation_farm.php

Just wanted to put this in perspective for you, your battle is but a small skirmish in a much larger war, with many, many issues tied in this war.

Some of those are that animal rights groups literally live or die by thriving as, well, what else, non-profit animal rights groups getting the gullible public to donate to them.

Just think how that affects all they do and you will understand that they are laughing all the way to the bank at you fighting for your carriage horses and the rest of animal owners and caretakers that, faced with such outrageous stunts as that bus, go "but, but, that is not true, that is rare abuse cases, that is not how we take care of our animals, is not what we do with them!"
    Do you think that anyone out there is listening to us?
    No, the blood and gory stories carry the day in the minds of that public out there and animal rights extremists know it.

There are more and more humans around and so more great minds helping us do what we do better than ever.
    That gives us so many more and quick advances in all in life, is really helping humanity and so what we do tremendously.
    We went from 3/2of the world starving to 1/2 and are improving the standards of living for more and more every day.

The downside from that, we also have more and more people on the other end, those that don't quite measure up to being sensible, forward thinking people, more average and easily guided and bullied by those with agendas.

That larger humanity mass is the one those with agendas, as animal rights groups are, count on making a living from, the ones that support them and keep them viable and those are the ones they gear all that propaganda.

When you understand that, you will see why some times, no matter what you do, no matter how senseless those animal rights extremists that are after you and everyone else's use of animals do what they do, because THEY DON'T CARE about you or the animals, they just want to have all do what they want, or love the power of disturbing other's lives, or ... pick your guess and are counting on the larger mass of those that are clueless followers of anyone's agenda that gets their attention.

We know we are taking care of our animals, we know there are a few that are abusers in this world and can make the connection with abusers and abuse.
    The rest of the world not directly involved with animals don't know any better and a few, as you can see here in the slaughter debates, even if they should know better, let themselves be tricked by some abuse stories and videos into following them, when they should know better.

That is what is sad, to see that the animal lovers are losing the battle.

Tell me, are some of the richest non-profit groups in the world, with millions in donations a year, going after anything else we do that someone is found abusing?
    Do you see a bus with videos of teachers abusing students and cries to stop sending kids to schools, look at the abuses there, how horrible?

Well, that is where animal agriculture and all we do with animals today is, being attacked by some of the richest non-profits in the world, that decided to make their cause of the moment animal rights and hit the lottery of such groups.

Since the playing field is stacked against those of us having animals, I don't see that we have much of a chance against those groups and the others that align themselves with them for their own motives, for you the real estate companies there after the land the carriage business uses.

Amen. That seems to me like a very good answer. I am in sort of the same boat as you, about my kitties. Trying to keep a roof over our three heads, trying to keep them and keep them happy. Thank goodness they are well (me too, touch wood).

I love your starfish story. A woman I know has a rescue Boston Terrier; I like the Boston Terrier rescue motto (I think other rescues have the same one)--"Saving one dog may not change the world, but it certainly will change the world for that one dog."

Blessings.

Quote Originally Posted by jenm View Post
    Americans who event need to stop going to Ireland in the belief the only good sporthorses are bred in Ireland.

It's time to "Buy American" for oh so many reasons...
    Yup, lovely IDSH;s here in the USA
    https://picasaweb.google.com/carolp3...73142823968338
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    Nice! Is that one of yours?
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jenm View Post
    Nice! Is that one of yours?
    Yes by Snowford Bellman RID out of a TB mare. I am thinking of retaining her as a broodmare
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH