The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Where do you shop for hunt horse prospect?

If I have a horse that I think is a great candidate for foxhunting, are there any websites that focus on that discipline? Especially those in the southeast / GA area? Where do you shop for a hunt horse prospect? I only know the big sites for dressage and jumpers, so this is new territory for me.

I do not have ability to get her out on my own to "hound-walk" nor do I belong to a hunt (obviously!) I know it takes a very special horse to become a foxhunter, but I think all the potential is there.. super mind, tons of energy but safe and easy to gallop and jump xc. So with the very limited knowledge I have of this discipline, I think it may be just perfect for her.

Any input and websites to advertise on greatly appreciated. Please PM me. Thank you!

There are already a bazillion other threads on this, if you do a search you will find them.
    What makes you think she is a hunting prospect? Not pretty enough or doesnt move well enough for the hunters? Not brave enough for eventing? Doesn't jump well enough for jumpers?
    Well, a truly nice hunt horse needs to be all that and more AND have a brain.
    IME if it is advertised as a hunt prospect by someone who does not hunt it is usually apiece of crap they can't market to anyone else. Not saying that is the case here, but more often than not it is.

That said, in a nut shell this is what you are going to hear so get ready.
    If you dont hunt you dont know if she is going to be good at it or not.
    If she has never hunted, she is not a hunt prospect. She is a green horse you are selling. Period.
    Do an ad, state honestly what she has done or knows how to do and let the buyer decide what she is a prospect for.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Quote Originally Posted by Jaegermonster View Post
    There are already a bazillion other threads on this, if you do a search you will find them.
    What makes you think she is a hunting prospect? Not pretty enough or doesnt move well enough for the hunters? Not brave enough for eventing? Doesn't jump well enough for jumpers?
    Well, a truly nice hunt horse needs to be all that and more AND have a brain.
    IME if it is advertised as a hunt prospect by someone who does not hunt it is usually apiece of crap they can't market to anyone else. Not saying that is the case here, but more often than not it is.

That said, in a nut shell this is what you are going to hear so get ready.
    If you dont hunt you dont know if she is going to be good at it or not.
    If she has never hunted, she is not a hunt prospect. She is a green horse you are selling. Period.
    Do an ad, state honestly what she has done or knows how to do and let the buyer decide what she is a prospect for.

Well said.

Anyone who foxhunts has lots of stories to tell about the horses that a kid could hack on a snaffle that turn into a wild fire breathing monster in the hunt field.

A highly experienced person can tell whether the fire breather will make it or not. Too many novices can't tell.

Cool jmho !!

Tons of energy?!!!
    Me no likey that phrase for a potential fieldhunter.....A lot of them get "energetic" enough out there....just sayin' !!!

Do you have a local chapter of the Horseman's Council or similar group that does big trail rides? At the very least, you can try taking her out several times on a large group ride at the trot, canter, and possibly hand gallop, preferably on logging roads and/or trails rather than something groomed like a dirt road. If she doesn't lose her mind, pull your arms off, ignore you, or otherwise act the orangutan both initially and after she's seen it a few times and starts to anticipate, you might have a prospect.
    ---------------------------

I am NOT a fox-hunter but I am a fox-hunter wannabe. I am not interested in selling my horse but the advice I got to see whether he would be a hunt horse was to do a "Learn to Hunt" clinic with the local hunt.

Let's just say that although this horse (an OTTB) is trail ridden/jumped all over creation in all kinds of footing, has competed (eventing, dressage, hunters) and is easy as pie to work around and ride in all other circumstances, he failed miserably as a potential fox-hunter.

Open field, large group of horses blew his mind. Although we provided lots of entertainment and many offers of "I have something that will take care of that" in my trailer, it will take him ALOT of work to become a hunt horse, if at all.

It's also not just about your horse, it's about what your horse does that may set off other horses.

So as the clearly very experienced other posters have already said, be sure the horse has proved themselves in the hunt environment or be clear in your marketing.

(again, this is just a completely inexperienced fox-hunter wannabe's perspetive).

Smile Thanks, some great input

Thanks everyone for the input. I appreciate it. Lots of good points.

Her rider has taken her out in groups as well as alone and she always maintains excellent manners and is easy to control, that said, she has NO experience with a large group of hounds or the sites and sounds of all that and I have no idea what that may do. Not the same, I know, but she does go out with our dogs on trail rides and is fine with them darting all over in and out of the woods. She has never offered to kick at a dog or a too-close horse. Never even pinned her ears. Mare is Holsteiner/TB.

That is why I think she is a PROSPECT, not anything more. I would only market her as such. And to previous posters, yes I think she could be a nice h/j or 3 day event horse quite easily. Her jump is superb and she has floaty gaits for dressage. I am just trying to broaden the market to try to find her a new home in something that I think she may really enjoy. I have no budget to continue training for show purposes (h/j or 3-day) for her.

What I was really looking for was specific websites that may be good for me to place her on. I searched past threads and found a few, but if anyone knows any that may be specific to the southeast region (GA/FLA/SC) that would be great. She is not a high-dollar horse so I doubt someone from NY or VA would want to go to GA to look at a prospect.

Thanks again!

I am in a similar situation- selling a horse , and marketing him as both an event horse and a foxhunter.

Several people who know about hunting said to me that I should market him as a foxhunter.

But everyone said he needs to go out wth the hounds at least 3 times (and preferably 6) before anyone will consider him as a prospect. Horses that behave perfectly the first time often get excited once they learn that "hounds running" means "we are going to run".

As I understand it, in addition to "not going crazy" with large groups, or with hounds, the following are critical:
    - Stands absolutely still (no fidgetting, no rattling the bit) at checks
    - Walks and trots on a loose rein
    - Happily goes at the front or the back of the group
    - Willingly, and safely, gallops across crappy terrain (rocky trails, deep mud)
    -Pulls up without running into the horse in front
    -Doesn't care if the horse behind runs into his hind end

He went out with the COTH hunt group this spring and did fine.

I will take him out again with the COTH group in September. A friend took him out with the Loudoun Hunt trail ride last weekend, and will cap a couple of times with Loudoun and Blue Ridge. I plan to cap him with a couple of the other hunts.

Until he does that, his value as a foxhunting prospect is way below his value as an Eventer.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Smile

By the way, Janet's horse did very well at the last Spring coth hunt. I rode near him most of the time, and my mare settled more and gain confidence from him. He was quiet, self confident, interested in everything.

I'm looking forward to riding with them again. My mare sure improved each time he has taken her under his wing.
    Intermediate Riding Skills

Quote Originally Posted by heidicald View Post
    What I was really looking for was specific websites that may be good for me to place her on.
    I'm really only aware of:
    http://foxhuntinghorse.com/home.cfm
    The "Hunt Horses for Sale" group on facebook
    Foxhunters Online

Maybe also Equine.com and other all-discipline sites?

Good luck!

Forgot to add: Maybe you can get the contact info for one or more of the officers at hunt clubs within a couple hours of your location and send them a short blurb/video link to circulate among their members?
    ---------------------------

Default Thanks.

Janet & Wildblue, thank you!! I have a dear friend who belongs a local hunt who may take her out for me and give me her opinion. She also shares most everybody's thoughts and agrees that nothing is like actually doing it.

So we will see how it pans out.

Thanks everyone.

I would seek out your local huntsman (Master of Hounds) and reach out to them. Just shoot an email with some info. They always know of people looking and are often buying/selling hunt prospects themselves.
    Standing Nasiriya - 17h JC registered stallion
    http://www.DonovanFarm.com
    Looking to buy or sell Horse Property? Contact me!
    www.TexasEquestrianProperties.com

I would say, at least in our neck of the woods, Mid-Atlantic, the majority of field hunters are bought from word of mouth. The various hunts of MD, VA and PA have members that know members. So we just call around. A horse that has not even hound walked would be a pretty tough sell unless it came with strong recommendations from a “name”.
    The first IMO and the most important test is hound walking. It’s one thing to go trail riding with a couple of your pets, though encouraging. Totally different with 20+ hounds coming at your horse and then fanning out around like a swarm of locust. Throw in 30-50+ horses most of which are going through some sort of changes which redefines things. If someone called us with what they thought might be a potential fox hunter we would offer the following. Send it to us at their expense in May or June before hound walking starts so we can evaluate. We’ll take the horse out and about and see how it does in our hunt country. If that goes well we will go hound walking. If not we will send it home at the owners expense. Its been my experience that it doesn’t take to many days out to find out if the horse has a mind for the experience. If all goes well for a couple of weeks then we'll talk price. We may pay the asking price at that time or split when the horse is sold. It all depends. Potential first flight horse $$$, second $$, third flight $. That’s not to say that a bold but testing 1st flight horse is always worth more then a really good, check all the boxes 3rd flight horse. A lot of people that hunt that have $$$$ are not 1st flight types by and large. They will pay top dollar for a solid, 2nd, 3rd flight horse that checks all the boxes. It’s kind of complicated. We would be fair in our evaluation but we are also taking on a lot of expenses and time to get the horse into the field by the time hunt season starts. If the owner doesn’t agree fair enough. But if they wanted to pull another card and ask to take the horse hunting they would have to pay board and expenses. A horse that hunts with Cheshire and has a good rep will command top $$$. But that will take at least a season.

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    As I understand it, in addition to "not going crazy" with large groups, or with hounds, the following are critical:

“As I understand it, in addition to "not going crazy" with large groups, or with hounds,”
    This is a must

“following are critical:”
    IMO Yes but not necessarily depends on the horse and rider

“- Stands absolutely still (no fidgeting, no rattling the bit) at checks”
    I hunt good 1st flight horses but they don’t always fit this model

“- Walks and trots on a loose rein”
    It sure is nice when they do

“- Happily goes at the front or the back of the group”
    Most of the time. Sure is nice if it were all of the time.

“- Willingly, and safely, gallops across crappy terrain (rocky trails, deep mud)”
    Always a good trait from the get go. Most get better with time.

“-Pulls up without running into the horse in front”
    Depends on who is in front of you. Though you never want to go by the Master. Very embarrassing.

“-Doesn't care if the horse behind runs into his hind end”
    Our horses always wear a “red ribbon”

My wife would add; One that doesn’t jig on the way back to the trailer. Especially after a long day and no rest rooms.

GumTree all nice But seriously I would no sooner send my horse off to a Hunt Stable as soon as fly it to the moon...on my expense or theirs.

Op I have sold a ton of horses who all had the right stuff and are either Masters mounts, staff horses or hauling field members around. None of whom saw a hound or a hunt before they left me and all transitioned seamlessly to the new job.
    There are some tells and clues to the horses demeanor, gaits, jump and Mind that will help you decide.

Stand quietly and easly no fidget.
    Will trot confidently and jump a fence from almost any spot, and Whoa quietly and walk on the other side.
    Be willing to push thru uncharted brush, navigate banks in to water and scramble out.
    Keep Their shoes on
    Could care less if a JRT swings from its tail..
    Doesn't care if the farm dogs bark at them or run thru the paddocks
    Load unload and stand in or out of a trailer...any trailer.
    Be totally non competitive when galloping w/ other horses.
    Certainly not be scared or repulsed by hounds and their smell when unloaded from the hound truck.
    Definately not be a kicker no matter what the provoke.
    Rein in and stop w/ out fuss
    And have nice comfortable gaits, be able to move across any ground tidly and thriftly without expending alot of excess energy while balancing well on their own not leaning on a riders hands.

Quote Originally Posted by judybigredpony View Post
    GumTree all nice But seriously I would no sooner send my horse off to a Hunt Stable as soon as fly it to the moon...on my expense or theirs.

Op I have sold a ton of horses who all had the right stuff and are either Masters mounts, staff horses or hauling field members around. None of whom saw a hound or a hunt before they left me and all transitioned seamlessly to the new job.
    There are some tells and clues to the horses demeanor, gaits, jump and Mind that will help you decide.

Stand quietly and easly no fidget.
    Will trot confidently and jump a fence from almost any spot, and Whoa quietly and walk on the other side.
    Be willing to push thru uncharted brush, navigate banks in to water and scramble out.
    Keep Their shoes on
    Could care less if a JRT swings from its tail..
    Doesn't care if the farm dogs bark at them or run thru the paddocks
    Load unload and stand in or out of a trailer...any trailer.
    Be totally non competitive when galloping w/ other horses.
    Certainly not be scared or repulsed by hounds and their smell when unloaded from the hound truck.
    Definately not be a kicker no matter what the provoke.
    Rein in and stop w/ out fuss
    And have nice comfortable gaits, be able to move across any ground tidly and thriftly without expending alot of excess energy while balancing well on their own not leaning on a riders hands.
    I didn’t suggest that the OP should. All I said was if someone called us with this scenario that would be the only way WE would be interested. If the prospect was within reasonable traveling distance we would be happy to make the trip, take a look see and go from there. As I am sure most people know all hunts are not created equal. From what I have read and seen most seem pretty tame, no disrespect intended, compared to Cheshire, Elkridge, Green Spring, Orange, Middleburg, etc. All of which IMO require a pretty talented horse to make for an enjoyable day. At least for my idea of a good days hunting.
    The qualities you list would certainly suggest an ideal candidate. A dream horse IMO if it hunted the same and worth $$$$$. Very few like that in our hunt field. But we have had ones that possess all of this and completely fall apart “in front of the camera”. You seem to have a good understanding of the over all big picture having read your various posts. If we were to get a call from you it would certainly peek our interest. Though IMO your posts would have a lot more credibility if you linked to some background information, where you are located and who you hunt with. The OP by her own admission knows little to nothing about hunting and just a general idea of the type of horse. So unless the horse was conveniently located or the owner was willing to ship it to us for a couple of days at least. We would pass. I can’t think of anybody that I could refer the OP to that would feel any differently.
    That’s not to say that there are not plenty out there that might be interested.
    If you have prospects that show the qualities you listed or even close please get in touch.
    Also I am always looking for potential Steeplechase horses, Timber only. Must have unrestricted JC papers. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    I am in a similar situation- selling a horse , and marketing him as both an event horse and a foxhunter.

Several people who know about hunting said to me that I should market him as a foxhunter.

But everyone said he needs to go out wth the hounds at least 3 times (and preferably 6) before anyone will consider him as a prospect. Horses that behave perfectly the first time often get excited once they learn that "hounds running" means "we are going to run".

He went out with the COTH hunt group this spring and did fine.

I will take him out again with the COTH group in September. A friend took him out with the Loudoun Hunt trail ride last weekend, and will cap a couple of times with Loudoun and Blue Ridge. I plan to cap him with a couple of the other hunts.

Until he does that, his value as a foxhunting prospect is way below his value as an Eventer.
    And I would add a good field hunter must stand still during a reverse! Nothing more embarrassing than your horse whirling and crashing into the huntsman or master cause it won't stand still during a reverse. Good way to get yourself "uninvited ".

OP, I was in your situation about a year ago. Here's what I did:
    * Took horse cubbing myself in October a few times. My local hunt often offers free cubbing, it is informal, and in theory it gradually increases in intensity. Doing this enabled me to see whether he lost his mind (no, although quite excited first time) and whether he might enjoy it and improve with subsequent outings (yes!).

* Enlisted a friend who needed a hunt horse to take him out on Opening Hunt and then on a fairly regular basis in Nov/Dec. Knowing that he would neither kill her nor embarrass her (see cubbing, above) was an important prerequisite for Opening day

This began to build his "resume" and also got him seen by staff and members alike.

By January I could reasonably say that he was making up to a good first and second flight horse. I went as a guest once or twice to other hunts to get him more exposure.

I would say I did not get serious interest in him as a foxhunter until he had been out 6-8 times. Getting him out with more than one hunt was beneficial.

That said, I got the most interest from posting on foxhunters online and on the facebook group.
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother