The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Need Ideas - Hay Feeder for One Horse w/ Special Hay - Question on Muzzles

I'm curious if there are any smart ideas out there for this situation:

We have two horses on our drylot. Until now they always had a roundbale. Recently the dominant horse started to need some higher quality square bale hay.

The other horse is a fat little guy who definitely doesn't need any fancy square bale hay. However, he will keep stealing big bites of the dominant guy's fancy hay.

Is there a contraption/container that I can build that will allow one horse to eat hay without the other horse sticking his nose in and stealing bites?

Maybe some sort of container with a narrow opening, which would prevent another horse's nose from getting into the hay......

I tried a hay bag with a narrow opening, but since the dominant guy chews very slowly, the little piggy sneaks his head into the hay bag opening and pulls out big bites.

Separating them during the day is not possible since there is only one run in shed for them to escape the dive-bombers. Hence my question.

Thanks
    Last edited by ytr45; Sep. 2, 2012 at 10:55 AM.

Grazing muzzle for the fatty.
    Hindsight bad, foresight good.

I second the grazing muzzle for the fatty. He will be able to get bites of hay from the round bale, but not from a hay net.

I third a grazing muzzle, or a different pasture all together them.

This cribbing muzzle is supposed to allow a horse to eat hay:

http://www.bestfriendequine.com/cribbingmuzzles.htm

Has anyone used it before? The standard grazing muzzles with a hole will not let a horse eat hay.

Quote Originally Posted by ytr45 View Post
    Separating them during the day is not possible since there is only one run in shed for them to escape the dive-bombers. Hence my question.

Thanks
    You say you can't separate during the day, what are their arrangements at night? If stalled, just feed the guy that needs the higher quality hay only at night and leave them to have a round bale during the day.

Perhaps your guy that needs the higher quality hay would do well with a grain meal or 2 or some other forms of supplementation, i.e. corn oil, rice bran, etc.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

The one horse out of six that didn't need to have free choice hay from the hay roll (fatty) wore a muzzle. He was still able to eat hay. Just not HUGE HONKING mouthfuls.