The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

As someone who has had not one but TWO windshields with giant cracks in them from road debris...no, my horse would NEVER be allowed to hang it's head out the window.

I saw one going down a highway in the right-hand lane, bars down and 3 horses hanging their heads out - way out. They were hanging so far out it looked like they were too big for the slant load. I could almost see withers! I was so horrified I got off an exit early because I was afraid I was going to witness something tragic. All it would take was a passing semi to squeeze the lane the trailer was in and slice all their heads off. Not to mention all the road debris kicked up by other vehicles!
    Incredibly unsafe!
    You are what you dare.

Also, having the windows open with no screens (aside from the very obvious danger of injury to a horse hanging his head completely out-yikes!) alows things to get into your trailer. For example, a huge bee that could sting a horse and cause it to freak in there and IIRC... wasn't there a tragic trailer fire that started when a discarded cigarette butt got into a trailer?

2 members found this post helpful.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...90483394_n.jpg

Passed this guy last weekend, it wasn't even warm outside! Most of the ride home, all 4 had their heads out of the windows, it made my heart jump every time something larger than a tiny car passed, I was stuck behind him!

I cannot even imagine doing something so stupid, and yet I see it all the time too. I live about 1 block from trails that people trailer in to, and I often see horse heads sticking out of a trailer through my living room window.

OP, you must be close to me, I am just outside Reading, (far enough, as it's an awful place) and I work in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by atr View Post
    Right up there with the folks that leave their dogs loose in the bed (or even worse, on the flatbed) of the pickup truck as they fly down the freeway.

Both situations very common around here and frequently combined.
    Um, you know that any laws disallowing this have very little to do with the dog's welfare and everything to do with people's welfare, right? They couldn't care less about the dog...they just don't want the dog jumping off/sliding off into traffic and causing a huge accident. Better to keep the animal tethered to the vehicle.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

I could not even imagine doing this, but then again, I've been around my trainer who is a trailering safety fanatic for a while. The horses aren't even allowed to ride in the trailer without halters made entirely of leather.

Not sure what brought back this old thread I started! But I did just see another one the other day that confounded me that I will add to it. Again, getting on the PA turnpike, I saw a large gooseneck trailer going through the tolls with the top door above the ramp flapping around with every stop and start. I guess they had left it open and it came unsecured. Which is fine, it happens, but what I don't get is WHY would you think you need to leave a top door open in 40 degree weather with winter winds while going 65 down the turnpike, instead of just opening the slider windows? Driver seemed to be oblivious to the flapping door, so I tried to catch them and let them know, but alas they were heading East and I West so I never could flag them down before the ramps split. It wasn't really that it was that dangerous for the horses, but could have been costly if that door ripped off and hit a passer by!

I owned a horse that would NOT ship with out her head able to go out the door of the trailer (six horse head to head)...if locked in, she would gallop...so not everything that people do is stupid, sometimes its necessary.
    The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumphigh83 View Post
    I owned a horse that would NOT ship with out her head able to go out the door of the trailer (six horse head to head)...if locked in, she would gallop...so not everything that people do is stupid, sometimes its necessary.
    Sounds like this needs to be brought to the attention of the trailer manufacturers and dealers, because somehow the HO's are not getting the word about how dangerous it is. Perhaps they need to put stickers on those drop-windows stating "MUST BE CLOSED WHEN TRAILER IS MOVING!!!" or words to that effect.

To be honest, I'm not even a fan of slant-loads, period. I've heard of waaaaay too may epic wrecks caused by a horse either falling and trying to get up under the partitions, or worse yet a large horse like a WB bucking or rearing and hooking a leg over the top of one. Lots of people with larger horses don't realize that the heights of the dividers are often hung with QH types in mind, however high the ceiling might be, and live to regret it.

Before you think I'm totally anal, I happily shipped my guys for 18 years in a stock trailer with plexiglass in the front but not on the sides, and we never had a problem. Frequently, I let them stand loose!

My horse trailer had sliding windows with screens but didn't drop down. You could hook the back doors open but it stated explicitly not to do this above a certain speed, which I think was maybe 30 MPH. It probably states this in all manuals but people don't bother. Just having window without screens can cause all kinds of injuries from road debris. I was pretty anal about towing. I used a nylon halter but tied the end of the trailer tie to the ring with bailing twine. That way if something happened the horse would not be hung up but I would also have a halter and at least a short lead.

Similar to what Jumphigh83 mentioned...

I know of a horse who would NOT, absolutely NOT stand in the trailer without his head sticking out. If you dropped the window but left the bars up, he would push them down just so he could play labrador. This horse had a dramatic trailering incident at a younger age that I suspect played a role in his odd behavior. Basically if he can't stick his head out of a window, your trailer would be in pieces, or he would have broken legs. The most ironic part is that he will load himself and stand quietly up until the trailer would start to move.

As for the folks with four horses with their heads poking out ... idiots.
    Footnote
    Miss Money Penny
    Fuerst Class
    Monroe

Quote Originally Posted by TPF Hunter View Post

I know of a horse who would NOT, absolutely NOT stand in the trailer without his head sticking out. If you dropped the window but left the bars up, he would push them down just so he could play labrador. This horse had a dramatic trailering incident at a younger age that I suspect played a role in his odd behavior. Basically if he can't stick his head out of a window, your trailer would be in pieces, or he would have broken legs. The most ironic part is that he will load himself and stand quietly up until the trailer would start to move.

So four horses is stupid but one is not?

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    So four horses is stupid but one is not?
    I suppose she meant that if all four horses hauled they way the one in her story did, well, the people wouldn't be idiots. But if they were just doing it because? Then they were idiots.

It's so easy to get all black and white on people and be snarky, isn't it?
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

Well, if that makes you crazy, don't drive through TX or OK (or other similar). You're likely to see horses, fully tacked, standing in the back of a pickup going down the road. Now THAT gives me chills....
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

It should never be done.

Now leaving the bars UP, and the windows DOWN, is fine in my book. Take a ride back there, you'll be surprised at how windy it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by TPF Hunter View Post

The old Exiss drop bars were too movable, my QH figured them out, fast. So I ran a rope from a tie ring, through the bars, and to the back tie ring. Done. No way I'd let 'horsie be horsie". My new trailer, a horse cannot open them (Merhow)