The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Question for former happy Brenderup owners

I have owned a Royal TC since the fall of 1998. I was hauling with a smaller vechicle (and lived in a comminity the prohibited pickup trucks) so the Brenderup was the only safe option. I quickly grew to love the engineering on the trailer and discovered that my mare who had arrived at every destination completely crazed when hauled in my trainers gooseneck Fatherlite, arrived happy and relaxed after riding in the Brenderup. I love the braking system and the sealed parts that require virtually no maintenance.

On the other hand I am now 53 and my husband is 62, the horses do not self load, and ducking out those tiny escape doors is getting old. I have replaced the floor once and find removing the mats to be fairly burdensome. I would love a different type of floor. It has been stored outside the entire time and now some of the hardware needs to be replaced.

I now tow with a Nissan Titan (rated to haul 8000 lbs with tow package, but I didn't get the tow package 8 years ago when I bought the truck because I loved the Brenderup too much and did not contemplate needing it).

So what is out there that I could tow safely without getting a new truck. I love the Brenderup braking system, I don't want to deal with the other systems. Are there any other trailers out there with that system? Any other trailers I can tow without sway bars? And my really important question for former Brenderup owners, are there other trailers that will ride like the Brenderup so my horses can be comfortable.

I have looked at the Bockmann and Fautras and like and dislike features of each but they are fairly pricey. I was wondering if there was anythig American made with Brenderup like features.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavan View Post
    I love the Brenderup braking system, I don't want to deal with the other systems. Are there any other trailers out there with that system?
    No.

And my really important question for former Brenderup owners, are there other trailers that will ride like the Brenderup so my horses can be comfortable.
    No.

I was wondering if there was anythig American made with Brenderup like features.
    No.

I'm speaking as a current brenderup owner who did tons of research to find something like a brenderup but less pricey. The features on the brenderup are truly European in nature and you would need to go with something European to get similar qualities.

Now, there is an older brenderup model from that had a front ramp. If you could find one for sale, that could eliminate your need to duck out the doors. You could also install the WERM floor to make the floors relatively maintenance free and eliminate the mat issue.

Personally, I would try to work with what you've got, because if you do sell and decide you or your horse strongly dislike your new rig, you will be hard pressed to find another used brenderup. On the other hand, if you do decide to sell, it will be a quick and easy sale.

Given all those "no" responses from Snowflake, perhaps it would be easiest to just teach the horses to load since ducking out the door seems to be a major pain point? It's really not that hard.

Simkie, I was thinking that as I typed. It could probably be done.

Snowflake, thanks for your input, that was what I kind of thought. I am just sorry I didn't have the floor replaced with Rumbar plakes instead of another Brenderup floor. I asked the dealer about another kind of floor at the time and they said Brenderup did not make one, but I am now thinking I could have had Rumbar plakes installed. Oh well. If there is nothing else as good out there, I can keep the trailer another five to ten years and get what I want with the next floor replacement.

I love the Brenderup braking system, I don't want to deal with the other systems. Are there any other trailers out there with that system? .
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    No.
    Oh don't be silly. Brenderups just use surge (although they trademarked the word "inertia" for them) brakes which are what you find on almost any trailer that's not a horse trailer.

There are PLENTY of trailer manufacturers out there who used surge brakes. Electric became all the rage for a variety of reasons, but my Trail-et has surge brakes and I wouldn't trade it for the world...nothing like just hooking up the trailer with any old truck and going.

As for the rest of your questions, OP, you're going to need to crunch the numbers. Yes, with almost any other "American style" trailer you're going to need to use sway bars. You're also probably going to have to look into getting the elements of a "tow package" added to your truck....transmission cooler, possible suspension upgrades, etc.

As for how they ride..who knows. Sounds like you have a fussy horse so you may just have to trial some trailers out. (By you riding in them for comparison, not the horse. ) One thing that makes Brenderups appealing to some horses is that they're very bright....so that's a starting point for you, to look for bright, airy trailers.

I am going to second what Snowflake and Simkie said..."the devil you know." Train your horses, and look into upgrading the whole flooring system. It will certainly be the most cost-effective solution, that's for sure.

Snowflake, thanks for your input, that was what I kind of thought. I am just sorry I didn't have the floor replaced with Rumbar plakes instead of another Brenderup floor. I asked the dealer about another kind of floor at the time and they said Brenderup did not make one, but I am now thinking I could have had Rumbar plakes installed. Oh well. If there is nothing else as good out there, I can keep the trailer another five to ten years and get what I want with the next floor replacement.
    Nooooo.... You cannot put rumbar in Brenderup trailers. The floor supports are not properly spaced for Rumbar and the trailer, by it's design, requires a one piece floor for stability. The one piece floor is one of the reasons for it's quiet, smooth ride. If you install Rumbar, it will greatly impede the integrity of the trailer.

If you do need to replace the floor in the future, go with marine grade plywood - 3 4'x8' sheets. Have them biscuited/glued together (2 vertical, 1 horizontal) and cut the one piece floor from that. You will need to have an extra support welded on the frame to where the seams are. Coat the underside with rhino lining and have the WERM floor placed on top. The WERM floor will eliminate the need for mats and make it essentially maintenance free. (If you don't know what WERM is - it's a poured liquid rubber) The WERM floor will seal the wood and extend it's life and also give lots of cushion to the horses.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Given all those "no" responses from Snowflake, perhaps it would be easiest to just teach the horses to load since ducking out the door seems to be a major pain point? It's really not that hard.
    Yeah spending a couple hours training the horses seems like much, much cheaper and easier than buying a new trailer, outfitting your tow vehicle and having to deal with mats and floor replacement anyway on whatever trailer you buy.
    http://www.xanthoria.com/OTTB

Quote Originally Posted by Xanthoria View Post
    Yeah spending a couple hours training the horses seems like much, much cheaper and easier than buying a new trailer, outfitting your tow vehicle and having to deal with mats and floor replacement anyway on whatever trailer you buy.
    Yep. You are not going to find anything cheap that rides/hauls like a Brenderup. (Oddly, the one thing my Dad's NOT a fan of on ours is the brakes-he'd rather have electric, but it's a small quibble.) And the odds of finding a used Brenderup are fairly long.

This may sound like a dumb question but since Brenderups are bumper pulls and goosenecks ride better, wouldn't be better to get a gooseneck?

They are more maneuverable too.

Is the WERM quite thick, or a very thin layer? I already have a thin layer of rubber on the floor. It still needs mats, IMHO for the protection of the horses. I had my floor replaced after one of the horses put a hole in it. This hole appeared fairly soon after I had a professional, but not someone familiar with Brenderups inspect it. I am sure the thick rubber mats are why that horse is still alive and sound.

This experience is a large part of the reason why I would spend the money to get a new trailer without wood or aluminum floors, if it had enough other Brenderup type features.

If there is no perfect floor out there, I probably should stick with what I have and be extra vigilant about the floors as I am now. It is just so hard to go to so much trouble each time I use it, plus deal with the mini doors and I will need a bunch of new outside hinges. I was just wondering if there was anything else out there with the Brenderups good points, but without the minus.

What can I say, some of us want everything. And at a reasonable price.

Quote Originally Posted by LookmaNohands View Post
    This may sound like a dumb question but since Brenderups are bumper pulls and goosenecks ride better, wouldn't be better to get a gooseneck?

They are more maneuverable too.
    Goosenecks require you also buy a new truck to haul it. Brenderups are safely hauled by smaller vehicles and handle easy. We used an ordinary Explorer to haul Lucky. It's less than 3000 lbs tow weight with one horse in it (probably less than 2500lbs.)

They're REALLY not like hauling with steel bumper-pull trailers. There's a reason that most of us with B'ups will. not. sell them.

And in any case the hitch shouldn't be attached to the "bumper", anyway. You shouldn't haul any trailer (equine or otherwise) except with a hitch welded to the frame by a pro installer.

Is the WERM quite thick, or a very thin layer? I already have a thin layer of rubber on the floor.
    Standard installation is about a half-inch thick poured layer. You can get it a bit thicker if you wanted.

As recently as 12 months ago, I would have agreed with Snowflake. But Fautras FINALLY clued in that some of us were very happy with our Brenderups thankyouverymuch and they began selling their St. Georges Imara lineup in the US. I'm a current (and very happy!) Brenderup owner and if/when it ever dies, my next trailer will be a St. Georges Imara. It's far more like a Brenderup than the Fautras-branded stuff, and it retails closer to the former Brenderup prices. Lucas and Liebe (in Texas) list a St. Georges Imara 2-horse base model at $12,750. The tack locker option is $780 extra. For comparison, the Royal TC was retailed at about $14,500 when it went off the US market.

Some similarities and differences:
    Extremely similar Intertia/surge brakes, rubber suspension, and sealed wheel bearings as Brenderup. You can see it in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDay589czok
    Polyethylene floors v. Brenderup's laminated wood floor
    Approximately the same dimensions as a Brenderup Royal. Advertised as suitable for horses up to 17 hands.
    A graduated step-up in the back instead of Brenderup's ramp (I love my B'up but I don't always relish lifting the back ramp, even with the help of the hydraulic springs)
    IMO the St. Georges jack is a little more intelligently designed so you don't have to lean down so far to operate it, and there's a built-in storage nook on the hitch for the electrical plug.
    The St. Georges escape door looks slightly bigger than Brenderup's, but it's not huge; Bockmann's full-size escape door definitely takes the cake in that department.
    The chassis is steel, in fact it's the same chassis being used on one of the Fautras models, but it doesn't have the steel roll cage like the Brenderups. To be fair, neither does anything else in the Bockmann/Fautras lineup.

This is a Canadian vendor's site but it has better product info than the US dealers:
    http://www.eurohorsetrailersales.com..._straight.html

The St. Georges web site, including contact info if you want to find a dealer:
    http://www.vans-stgeorges.com/index.php

More good pics:
    http://www.horseclicks.com/fautras_b...p/advert/49278

The only US dealer I've identified so far is Lucas and Liebe, who used to sell a ton of Brenderups. I'm sure they'd be happy to compare and contrast. http://www.theydeservethebest.com

Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    Nooooo.... You cannot put rumbar in Brenderup trailers. The floor supports are not properly spaced for Rumbar and the trailer, by it's design, requires a one piece floor for stability. The one piece floor is one of the reasons for it's quiet, smooth ride. If you install Rumbar, it will greatly impede the integrity of the trailer.
    Not true, not true at all! Got a Rumber floor put in my B'up this spring. Yes, they had to add floor supports, so what? It still cost less than an official Brenderup floor.

Thanks Snowflake and OTTBs for your thoughts on flooring. Even though you disagree your thoughts are appreciated.

Thank you jh4jenny, I had not heard of the St. Georges. My Brenderup dealerr carries the Fautras. I will ask if they can get the St. Georges.

I had a hardware failure over the weekend which got me thinking, the previously unthinkable thought (a non Brenderup trailer). If I get my current trailer repaired it will be at Traveled Lane Trailers where I bought it and if I get another trailer it would be there unless some perfect trailer appear that they do not carry. It is a wonderful small business, like the ones politicans are always saying are the backbone of the economy, etc. However there is a downside, when I called Monday I got the recording, the whole place is closed until Sept. 4. And of course, I wanted answers about my options right away, not next week. So I am grateful for all the responses.

Pay a trainer to teach the horses to self load. I took my then 4 year old for a $50 30 minute lesson with an upper level event trainer. In 2 minutes, she had him self loading, without raising a hand to him. Five years later, he still self loads like a pro. That $50 was very worthwhile. It did make me wonder why I spend months working with him on loading when I could have called her at the beginning.

I don't know anything about these trailers - never seen one in person - but I did remember reading about them. They appear to be along the lines of what you are looking for - with the full size exit door.

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/for...=15298&posts=1

Okay, serious question here. Why not import a European trailer? Would the import costs be ridiculous? I have a 1984 Rice and love it except for the parts of it that are falling apart due to age. It's also not big enough for us anymore. Is Brenderup still in business, just not selling in the US? If so, can you import one? If not - how about a Rice - http://www.ricetrailers.co.uk/netbui...s/33/Rice.html

I am clueless about how much it would cost to bring one over here, so forgive me if the idea is just silly.

Okay- slightly off topic, but who on earth would live in a community that dictated the type of vehicle you can have??? That's insane.
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

I bought the St. Georges Imara this spring and love it. I had considered the B'up a couple years ago, but wasn't ready to spend the $$. Then after going to a couple riding clinics and paying big $$ to commercial shippers, I figured I'd be better off buying my own. Since the depreciation isn't there like in American steel or aluminum trailers, I figured the risk is low if I decided I won't use it enough to keep it for years and years. I have also taught all my horses to self load OR to stand in the trailer once loaded so I can walk around back and put up the butt bar. Either way, I'm very happy with the Imara. It's good basic transportation, well designed and with a lifetime guarantee on the no maintenance floor! Fox Hunt Trailers in Union Grove WI is where I got mine as I'm a midwesterner.