The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Breeches for a newbie male rider

So a male friend is trying out riding, but not comfy in jeans. We have a very limited selection locally so I'm finding him some used ones online. Any reco'd for ones that are a looser style? Can we use jean sizing to get the right fit?
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

Just make sure you get cotton with pleats....He will be more comfortable mentally as well as physically.

Tough Rider Patrol Breeches

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    Just make sure you get cotton with pleats....He will be more comfortable mentally as well as physically.
    And where does one acquire such on this side of the pond? DH's jump trainer is headed to Burghley tomorrow and I am three-quarters tempted to hand him a check and have him go shopping for us.

As a male rider, you really don't want to loose a fit for a lower cost and good quality, I like the devon Aire for men. Tuff Rider makes the patrol breeches). Looks should not matter, but if there is a concern, remind him that football players wear "tights", baseball players wear "tight pants", and some very cool, amazing male BNRs wear the same style pants.

Kudo's for getting another male rider involved in eventing. As one who had an exciting moment in xc schooling yesterday, riding can have its moments.
    Last edited by JP60; Aug. 27, 2012 at 09:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pegasusmom View Post
    And where does one acquire such on this side of the pond? DH's jump trainer is headed to Burghley tomorrow and I am three-quarters tempted to hand him a check and have him go shopping for us.

I would definitely get your trainer to go shopping. Burghley has a huge trade stand and as this is the last major event of the season (Blenheim does not have nearly as big a trade stand) all the vendors are quite willing to haggle so that they do not have to truck everything home for the winter. I have never come away from Burghley without tons of stuff and have never paid "sticker" price for anything there.

www.speedgate.co.uk has a great variety of men's breeches at varying price points...everything from £10.00 right on up.

Quote Originally Posted by JP60 View Post
    As a male rider, you really don't want to loose a fit for a lower cost and good quality, I like the devon Aire for men. Tuff Rider makes the patrol breeches). Looks should not matter, but if there is a concern, remind him that football players wear "tights", baseball players wear "tight pants", and some very cool, amazing male BNRs wear the same style pants.

Kudo's for getting another male rider involved in eventing. As one who had an exciting moment in xc schooling yesterday, riding can have its moments.

I prefer a "looser" fit. It is my feeling that it is not the job of the breeches to keep the "little soldier" in line but rather good under wear. There has been endless discussions about boys and men and their displeasure of wearing tight breeches. Psychology, they cannot seem to get past that....at least in the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    I prefer a "looser" fit. It is my feeling that it is not the job of the breeches to keep the "little soldier" in line but rather good under wear. There has been endless discussions about boys and men and their displeasure of wearing tight breeches. Psychology, they cannot seem to get past that....at least in the beginning.
    Both of the long term male riders in this house would agree. Thanks for the link - they seem to have quite a tasty selection. Do they ship here? In the meantime, a text to the trainer. . .hope he has time - he is coaching someone there.

I dunno, I think the breeches certainly help keep the pilot in line better than under armor alone... and also keep the landing gear safely retracted for flight. I do like my patrols, but the ovations I wear more often seem to be more comfortable while still lending appropriate and timely support.
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

Kentucky brand breeches for men with pleats. My male-rider-friend likes them (converted from Tailored Sportsmen and Ariats which really weren't comfortable to him).

They carry them at Horse County in Warrenton VA. He'll have to call to order as I don't think they do online ordering.

Hmmm. I think we're trying for something more affordable for the moment than Kentucky brand breeches! Does anyone ride in Polo jeans (not as in RL, but the ones made for polo players)? I was thinking that could be a good intro to wearing tight pants
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

Husband does, and he and son also wear wrangler jeans (in white) to play polocrosse. Bomber (google search - they are a South Africa company) makes a polocrosse jean with no inseam. However they are white, as the rules dictate one plays in white breeches or jeans.

Hmmm. That might be the way to go - looks like TuffRider makes some reasonably priced ones!