The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default IDSH(NA) and IDSH(CAN) Registry's

I have an IDSH foal that I am going to register. Is one registry better than the other (IDHSNA or IDHSC)? I do plan on cross registering the foal, but am not sure which registry is better as the main registry?

Any advice?

thanks,
    Last edited by Oskar; Aug. 27, 2012 at 08:34 PM. Reason: spelling correction

I think most of us in the US do the IDSHNA, but those with far more experience than I have should chime in.

Default we are all sisters

The central registry for Irish Draught Horses is the Irish Draught Horse Society in Ireland (for purebreds). We are satellites (Canada, US, and also IDHSGB) there is a process going on now to integrate all the societies in the same approval process...Canada and GB seem to have accepted terms and completed the process. At that point there would be some kind of reciprocity between countries. From this point it is political and frustrating. The US has been waiting to see what happens to exising approved horses in the "international" registry and to have the goals of the IDHS in Ireland reflect our desire to preserve traditional type Irish Draughts as opposed to the Warmblooding of the ID. It has been an ackward process at best dealing long distance with the HSI.

If you are registering an Irish Draught Sport Horse it doesn't matter as the Horse Sport Ireland doesn't recognize either registry for IDSH and is unikely to. They call the crossbred an ISH(Irish Sport Horse) and do not limit it to having necessarily ANY Irish Draught blood. Both IDHSCanada and IDHSNA require a percentage of Irish Draught in their registered sport horses. If the sire of your horse was approved ISH in Ireland before export or is approved ISH on performance like Flexible you can pursue registry with HSI(Horse Sport Ireland) good luck with that...I have no experience to offer as I register with IDHSNA...there is no approval process for HSI in the US for the sport horses.

There IS an approval process for IDSH stock in the US and Canada. Both use the inspectors sent from Ireland who also inspect Sport Horses in Ireland. Both Canada and the US provide registration and documentation of breeding of IDSH from approved ID and IDSH stock. The US has an awards program and has held yearly National Shows, I do not believe that Canada does and believe they are primarily concerned with registrations transfers and approvals.

If you intend on inspecting breeding stock or evaluating your stock using the Irish inspectors, which is an interesting process...some inspectors with many years of Irish Draught and Irish Sport Horse lore are treasures. I would choose the registry most likely to have inspections or who have a region that includes your area. There are also regional groups...some are very active with clinics and opportunities to meet. I register in IDHSNA as I live in Minnesota and have local friends in the North Central IDHS region. PatO

thank you for the information Pat.

I live in BC, Canada but was originally going to register him with IDSHNA b/c it is a bigger registry than Canada's, but b/c of the harmonization that Canada has done, I thought I better do some more research before I make my decision. My question to both the NA and Can registry's is about their inspection locations and dates. I believe Canada does inspections roughly every 2yrs on the west coast, but I think that it may be hit and miss b/c of demand. The NA registry seems like it may have a better selection of location for inspections than the Canadian registry at this point.

I'm in a similar situation with eventually 4 IDSH's to inspect. It looks like IDHSNA is only inspecting in KY and MT this year. If MT is closer than a Canadian site maybe you could have her inspected in the US and approved in CA.

I'm not breeding at this time in part because of the registry issues....not breeding anything not eligible for inspection
    Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

The other problem with the US dragging their feet is they have now said they are not going to do reciprocity with the new inspection scheme as they are not sure how to mesh 2 different grading systems. Canada is having inspections this year, it might be worth going and get first hand info if possible before choosing.
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

I sent you a pm...but decided to just post...because there is some info that needs to be put out:

1.To be inspected the horse has to be over 2 for a mare or 3 for a stallion.

2.If you arent going to be breeding him you dont *need* to be inspected (you can, but dont need it). And since travelling distance is one of your concerns...IMHO ..*if * you are not going to be breeding why bother travelling to get a non breeding horse inspected into a studbook?
    3. Registration options *might*depend on which society the parents are registered with ( I am not sure for your particular situation). As stated above, there are *possible* reciprocal issues with cross registration, no one knows when that is going to be lifted.
    4. For most, registry size isnt going to really matter because both countries have few breed shows and as far as irish horse 'community' goes...we all know each other and most are members of both societies.
    5.Inspection sites are hit and miss in the US and probably a travel nightmare in Canada.

The only thing that matters is if you are planning on having him inspected for breeding (at age 3+). What do you think your future foal buyers want...and then there is the travel implications for yourself AND future foal buyers if they decide to have your horses progeny inspected at some point.

Think about your goals and your future foal buyers goals (if you are breeding). Call BOTH societies and get *accurate* info on your options. I say accurate because harmonization just happened a week ago...none of us really know all the details or implications yet.
    Last edited by Du Hast; Aug. 27, 2012 at 04:14 PM.

Default No question

Do both but you are in BC and I would just use the IDHSCanada to register and inspect, you can also enroll as a member of the IDHSNA and enroll your horse in awards programs. When there is an inspection you can help determine where it is by being involved and sometimes finding more ID and IDSH in your area to be inspected. We did this in Minnesota...I whined a lot too...we didn't have a stallion but we had a good number of purebreds and partbreds. I don't think there is a huge advantage to registering a sport horse unless you plan on breeding and even then there is an argument to be made about needing inspections at all but personally I would inspect. First it was fun...the more the merrier. It is a very important learning opportunity to go to ANY inspection and most Irish inspectors do a good job and try to make it worth everyones time. I am a good conformation wonk and there was little I didn't see about the horses to be inspected but there were some and they were important. By the way I own a stallion who stood in BC...Beeston Laird...now in Minnesota. As to the issues combining with Ireland there are good reasons to do it and good reasons not to and a lot of passion about every point. This is a breed that people feel very passionate about. The loss of the traditional Irish Draught is hugely important to many of us. Unfortunately Ireland for its own reasons does not seem to share this feeling or at least is certainly not passionate about what an Irish Draught should be. The traditional breeds that made the Dutch and German warmbloods has been lost in large part to the dismay of many people who love that type of sport horse with bone and substance. It is something that makes people crazy to fight for. For your sport horse I would avoid the conflict.

thanks for all the info! I have decided that b/c I live in Canada, I am going register him with IDHSC and then when the time comes have him inspected in Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by horsetales View Post
    The other problem with the US dragging their feet is they have now said they are not going to do reciprocity with the new inspection scheme as they are not sure how to mesh 2 different grading systems. Canada is having inspections this year, it might be worth going and get first hand info if possible before choosing.
    horsetales, do you know where the inspection in Canada is being held this year? It would be interesting to go, but I havent found any information online about upcoming Canadian inspections.

thanks,

I do not know - I have a foal sold to Canada and in conversation the owner said there was an inspection near her around Toronto. Cheryl Anderson with IDHSCa is wonderful and she would be happy to help if you have questions.
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

this years Canadian inspection is Oct 19-20 in the Toronto area...hopefully next year it will make it to BC. Worth going to watch for sure!