The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I got a doggie!

It's unbelievable that a confirmed catperson like me would do such a thing, but I did it. I got a dog!

I found an orphaned baby squirrel on my front walk, ascertained that it was, indeed, orphaned, and the next day when I brought it to the animal shelter, I came home with a wee small doggie.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/meezerg...hoto3370877031

He's a terrier mix, about four, and has obviously been someone's pet. He has an excellent recall button; sit isn't as good, but we're working on it. I plan on joining some classes with him. The salespeople at the petstore (really, really good private petstore, not just big-box one) all adored him. He's super friendly, not nervous or yappy.

I got him Friday and thus far the only two "oopses" have been when Small Cat tried to take his chewie yesterday and he rushed SC. Then today he barked at Evy when she started yelling for food. I corrected both times instantly-- a "NO!" was plenty.

Otherwise, he's completely intimidated by the cats-- Buster chased him down the hallway today, complete with yip-yip-yip noises! I rescued him immediately, of course. He seems to recognize me as the leader, but still likes me and is happy to be with me. He'll drop toys and walk away from them if I even walk by.

I can't decide on a name! I'm hung up between Darby, Groucho, O'Connell (to go with Evy), Poco....
    I loff my Quarter horse clique

I kill threads dead!

He is the cutest little guy! Love the ears . Have fun with him.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

He's adorable! I love the one ear up, one ear down ... reminds me of one I had. Sure looks like a JRT to me. Good for you to bring him home and I bet he works out great with the kitties (love your Siamese).

I've no thoughts on a name ... it will come to you.

Congratulations on your new best friend!

He's wonderful, and cute, and handsome....

I don't think you've got a terrier mix at all - he looks 100% Jack Russell Terrier to me. Love his little ears too - and don't let the stand-up ears fool you, some JRTs just have ears like that. I think the ears are adorable.

You are going to have so much fun with him. I adore my JRTs. And his personality sounds awesome. I think you've got a real gem there.

Here's to many, many fun filled and loving years together!

He's adorable! I really like Groucho for a name

I Love the name Darby, I wanted to name Riley that, but he wouldn't come to it, he came to Riley instead (yes I am still a bit bitter about that)

I like Poco too. If I ever picked up a little terrier, I would name him/her Ping

CONGRATS on your new family member !!!

Certainly looks like a JRT to me, and a drop dead gorgeous one at that, love him, congratulations.
    Mother of the son of UsedtobeHaffy

Practicing Member of the Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine Clique

He's such a cutie! Congrats!

Very sweet little man. There is a reason some of us always go to the shelter for adult dogs-no housebreaking, no issues.

Enjoy him, he is so cute !

Pretty sure that's a purebred JRT, they come in all coat types, and ears can be a problem no matter how well bred. Congrats he's adorable.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Thank you, everyone, for all your wonderful kind words about my little doggie! So far, he's an absolute sweetheart and I just love him. It's so sweet of those of you in the know about JRTs to say you think he's one. That was my first thought when I saw him (after "OMG! What an adorable dog! OMG! That's MY DOG!"), but I know zip about dog breeds. I love him regardless.

I've read lots of the dog-training threads on here, and plan to keep reading this forum. So much of what I've read has come in handy already. I also have a good support system here at home in the form of dog-owning friends.

I'm very happy!
    I loff my Quarter horse clique

I kill threads dead!

Quote Originally Posted by tikihorse2 View Post
    That was my first thought when I saw him (after "OMG! What an adorable dog! OMG! That's MY DOG!"), but I know zip about dog breeds. I love him regardless.
    That is how this guy came into my life 12 years ago

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/b...s/IMG_0547.jpg

We went to the kennels to look at another dog, who did nothing for me, but when I saw that little man it was "That's my dog" I hope your guy brings you as much joy as Muttley has brought me
    Mother of the son of UsedtobeHaffy

Practicing Member of the Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine Clique

YEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!! (pumps fist)...MY kinda dog!!

he may well be a terrier mix, just a mix of different terriers.....
    i had JRTs for about 20 yrs, then fell into toy fox terriers.....similar in look, coloration, a bit less stocky than jrts, but have stand up ears all the time................the smaller face, longer nose, and stick up ears make me think this one may be a mix of jrt and tft....................no matter at all of course, since you already adore him......

i like darby.......but that name was vetoed by my family......so, i picked dugan to go along with phinn, phyfe, and clooney..........

he is JUST a PERFECT specimen of cuteness......and if his recall is great, that's 90% of any battle.........enjoy!

Oh I LOVE Jack Russells. Both of mine have the same 1 ear up, 1 ear down thing going on. Makes them all super cute. Your guy is a darling little thing. If he gives you 1/2 the happiness that mine give me you're in for a treat!
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com