The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Half pads

What is the purpose of eq ring riders only riding with half pads only?
    Needs to know

Less bulk under the leg.

Quote Originally Posted by Theresyoursighn View Post
    What is the purpose of eq ring riders only riding with half pads only?
    Can't say I've noticed it ONLY in the Eq ring, you'll see it in the hunters too. I don't do this because the look is incomplete to me, so I can't say for 100% sure. But I'd like to imagine the purpose revolves around saddle fit, and some saddles may require a half pad to fit comfortably. Using a half pad + fitted pad might be too much bulk, so half pad it is!

Quote Originally Posted by AliCat View Post
    Less bulk under the leg.
    Or that too

I've done it in the hunters for saddle fit issues. It's especially useful in lease situations where buying a new saddle for the horse isn't an option, which might be why you're seeing it more often in the eq.

But this just looks wonky to me! There are nice, fitted baby pads nowadays (Fleeceworks!)! I would hate to have all that dirt on my half pad and all the sweat on the saddle!
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

I do this on my big horse at shows simply because I cannot find a full pad under $200 that fits my saddle.
    ---
    They're small hearts.

This used to be very trendy... then it kind of went away... maybe it's coming back?!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    I do this on my big horse at shows simply because I cannot find a full pad under $200 that fits my saddle.
    THIS.
    No offense, but I'm not paying 315 for a mattes pad to fit the saddle I ride in for my TB. I splurged a bought a mattes pad to fit the saddle I use on my wb/paint, but for some reason no shape wants to fit the narrow saddle I use on the tb.

I show hunters in a half pad. The purpose is for less bulk under the leg, but I also like the look. That much less to take away from the beauty of my horse.

I am not a fan of showing in a half pad, I'm a classic white show pad girl, but when I had to buy Mattes pads to fit DD's saddle to our pony, I only had the option at the time to buy the half pad. I am still on the hunt for an affordable full pad, but for now, I use the Mattes sheepskin half pad, with only sheepskin up front. I have another Mattes half pad that I use for schooling with no sheepskin.
    Last edited by Mayaty02; Aug. 27, 2012 at 08:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ako View Post
    But this just looks wonky to me! There are nice, fitted baby pads nowadays (Fleeceworks!)! I would hate to have all that dirt on my half pad and all the sweat on the saddle!
    Well, since sheepskin has properties that are kinda voided when you put a baby pad under them, it defeats the purpose of using them against the skin. I've done either just a half pad (I'm an eventer) or the half pad UNDER the square pad for ages. God made saddle soap for a reason.

I had planned on taking a young horse to a hunter show a couple of weeks ago. I did a test ride in someone's shaped pad and hated the feel...felt like I was miles away from him. I was going to go half pad only. Like that feel a lot more.

Quote Originally Posted by ako View Post
    Exactly what yellowbritches said. Its not about the look, its about the benefits to your horse by having the sheepskin directly against him. A good quality sheepskin pad like Mattes will last for years with proper care, mine still comes out of the wash looking like new and was well worth the money. And you can clean your saddle too.

Not to mention that it feels so much nicer to me to have less bulk under your leg as well.