The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How to test solar electric fence charger

My friend is moving and gave me two solar electric fence chargers. She was not sure if they still worked so I need to know if there is an easy way to test them since I do not have any electric fence supplies and do not want to buy any if the chargers do not work.

Hook them up to some wire, get a screwdriver with a plastic or wood handle to stay insulated.
    Touch the wire and some steel post or other that will ground at the same time.
    If you see a spark, they work.
    That is how we test our hot wires when we don't have a tester handy.

Quote Originally Posted by spotnnotfarm View Post
    My friend is moving and gave me two solar electric fence chargers. She was not sure if they still worked so I need to know if there is an easy way to test them since I do not have any electric fence supplies and do not want to buy any if the chargers do not work.
    Oh there is an easy way Alternatively, find someone that has a fence tester. Most everyone with an electric fence has one. Some cost as little as $5.

Hook up.
    Touch with hand.

You'll know soon enough!
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

If I don't have my tester handy I use a blade of grass which will conduct enough to let you know without shocking the crap out of you. Use grass, not hay, b/c of the water content.

But make sure you aren't wearing Danskos or other thick rubber-soled shoes, you won't get a reading. Good entertainment for the neighbors, too -- standing by your fence barefoot touching it with a blade of grass. They can puzzle over WTF you are doing all afternoon.

fordtraktor.
    And spit on the blade of grass. That's the way I do it. Sometimes I end up yelling "sh!t", but I know it's working.

Quote Originally Posted by fordtraktor View Post
    If I don't have my tester handy I use a blade of grass which will conduct enough to let you know without shocking the crap out of you. Use grass, not hay, b/c of the water content.

But make sure you aren't wearing Danskos or other thick rubber-soled shoes, you won't get a reading. Good entertainment for the neighbors, too -- standing by your fence barefoot touching it with a blade of grass. They can puzzle over WTF you are doing all afternoon.
    I have been shocked so many times over the years I cannot even bring myself to touch a door handle in the winter when I know there may be a static shock....under no circumstances will I voluntarily subject myself to any form of electric shock.

have a husband or kid touch it....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

If they haven't been used in a while there's a good chance the batteries are run down. Set them in full sun with the solar panels facing south and the power switch turned off for a few days, then do the tests described above.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by leaf View Post
    fordtraktor.
    And spit on the blade of grass. That's the way I do it. Sometimes I end up yelling "sh!t", but I know it's working.
    stop spitting on it! The grass should just give you a little tingle, not a wallop.

Get about three 21 year old boys and give them a case of beer. They'll pee on it.
    Quarry Rat

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    have a husband or kid touch it....
    Yep, sacrificial family members work wonders.