The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Bit ideas?

Just looking for some ideas or suggestions - I have my young OTTB in a plain eggbutt mullen mouth bit right now, but I feel like it may be too fat for his mouth.

My go to bit is usually a loose ring with a peanut, but he seems a bit fussy in it and really wouldn't settle and reach into the contact. We have also tried a plain old eggbutt, which also seemed a bit too fat.

He is still very green, and opens his mouth quite a bit, which I am trying to fix without using a flash or crank. I feel like the right bit and some more education may be what we need.

Any ideas on a good "starter bit" that's not too fat? He is pretty soft in the mouth, but is easily distracted (due to being a greenie I'm sure!) and then gets kind of dead in the mouth and "forgets" what we were working on.

I try to keep things mixed up using lots of circles, changes of direction, figure 8's, serpentines, as well as riding on every available piece of land at my barn, in the ring and out, on trails and hills, and try not to grill the snot out of him. I'd like to find a good bit that fits his small mouth with low palette, and one that he doesn't fuss to much with I will be talking to my trainer about it, but he is away with clients showing for the next couple of weeks, and this is something I'd like to try and fix soon thanks!

I'd see if there are bits you can borrow from friends at the barn. Try as many things as you can to see what works.

That's how I ended up with a stubben double jointed bradoon for my horse. I don't think I would have picked this to begin with just on account of it being something people normally use with a double bridle. At the time the person I was working with used it when they couldn't find my bridle. My horse ended up loving the bit and instantly changed from fussy to happy

Lol. After buying a zillion bits to try with my mare, the one she likes best is a BORROWED KK double jointed bradoon. I have the same bit (which I bought) in a regular size. She still goes better in the bradoon. Go figure.

@CS: small palate maybe? That's what I think the issue was with my horse

Thumbs up whatever she likes

Sounds like she is telling you loud and clear what she likes

Go with it if it's legal

Quote Originally Posted by Come Shine View Post
    Lol. After buying a zillion bits to try with my mare, the one she likes best is a BORROWED KK double jointed bradoon. I have the same bit (which I bought) in a regular size. She still goes better in the bradoon. Go figure.
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Oh sorry. I don't know if it's legal in dressage. Just chimed in from jumperland about the bradoon. I agree she's told me loud and clear what she likes. I just had to get past the funny look of the little rings. On a related note, is anyone looking for bits to buy? I have a FEW that I can get rid of.

haha, same here. I have at least three that I'd like to get rid of.
    (mods, this is not an advertisement, just commiserating with @CS)

Thumbs up others like it, too!

I showed my last event horse to prelim, with lots of wins at second level with that bit She was smallish and I think she liked the no nutcracker effect as well as,not bruising the bars
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Question picture?

Can you link us to a picture?
    breeder of Mercury!

This Myler might work on a greenie & it is small enough to fit with a low palate. This style comes in Dee & loose ring styles.

http://www.smartpakequine.com/myler-...x?cm_vc=Search

Neue Schule makes wonderful bits of various thicknesses from 12mm on up. The "Starter bit" is a god choice for a greenie.

http://nsbits.com/global/index.php/s...n/starter.html

http://nsbits.com/global/index.php/homepage/

Default Lorenzini bits of Italy

These bits lightweigh, biocompatible and hypoallergenic, great reviews with horses getting the tongue over, fussy, bit sensitive....
    www.Lorenzinibits.com

For a green horse that fusses on the bit, get away from a 3 piece/french link and get a more fixed cheek, ideally a fully cheek or maybe a D.

Something like this is relatively inexpensive, and something commonly used that someone might have one laying around you could try.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/jp-kors...gmnfamw2ye5x45

Quote Originally Posted by WasthatC View Post
    This Myler might work on a greenie & it is small enough to fit with a low palate. This style comes in Dee & loose ring styles.

http://www.smartpakequine.com/myler-...x?cm_vc=Search
    I'll second this suggestion. My horse (not a greenie) has a low palate and a thick tongue. The dentist (DVM) suggested the Myler bits. He really emphasizes that a thicker bit is not necessarily a milder or kinder bit - depends on the horse's mouth. The Mylers also come in the baucher style. Also, they are not horribly expensive compare to other brands.

I switched to a D-ring Myler and eliminated the flash. Happier horse. Tried the Myler baucher - even happier. Kicking myself for not trying it earlier.

I have the "Level 1" wide barrel comfort snaffle mouth piece. I believe that recently the USEF now allows the version with the very slight "port" which would be better for my boy's fat tongue. Story of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by in_the_zone View Post
    For a green horse that fusses on the bit, get away from a 3 piece/french link and get a more fixed cheek, ideally a fully cheek or maybe a D.

Something like this is relatively inexpensive, and something commonly used that someone might have one laying around you could try.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/jp-kors...gmnfamw2ye5x45
    Although I think you're generally right that fewer pieces & joints would be better for a green horse that's fussy I think a single joint bit does not work for a horse w/ a low palate - I unfortunately learned this from a horse with a low palate. If my horse even moves its tongue w/ a single joint bit it reacts to that sharp joint in the roof of its mouth.