The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hypothetically speaking - you have 3 months to live

Would you spend the rest of your time enjoying your horse(s), or would you be trying to find them the best home possible in that time?
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

Why not both?

I have plans already in place for any of my animals, because we never know when our time is up.

Both.
    My CANTER cutie Chip and IHSA shows!
    http://www.youtube.com/kheit86

It's going to take about 30 minutes to arrange the horse's and dog's next homes. After that, I think I can just pay my bills for 3 more months of riding ...

Plans already in place for horse, dog, cat. Everyone ought to be required to do this.

I'd be spending it with my horse and enjoying life as much as possible.
    My guy will have a permanent home with my parents if anything ever happened to me.

My own plan is that the horses be sold, since I don't have anyone with their own property who could automatically just take them at any given time... Or is that an irresponsible plan? What would an alternative plan to that be?
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

Quote Originally Posted by ACP View Post
    Plans already in place for horse, dog, cat. Everyone ought to be required to do this.
    Mind if I ask what your plan is for your horse?
    Jigga:

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Why not both?
    I would find it hard to enjoy my horses while at the same time showing them to people, taking phone calls, answering emails about them, and having to explain the reason why I'm selling.
    Jigga:

My first plan is that my boyfriend takes over ownership of my horses. If he cannot care for them or find them suitable homes, they go to my parents (who have an empty horse farm). They would likely not keep the horses, but use their horsey contacts to find VERY good homes. I would trust these two options to keep the horses (or put them down, if elderly) if I die.

I think it's important to plan these things before an issue comes up. I imagine if I only had 3 months to live, I would want to enjoy my time. With my dad recently having cancer, it puts things into perspective. Planning is a good thing.

saultgirl, is everything okay?
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

I hope this really is hypothetical and that you are well. What made you think of this?

Quote Originally Posted by ACP View Post
    Ditto. I could die any minute of any day...just like anybody else.
    Cindy

Quote Originally Posted by Mali View Post
    Ditto. I could die any minute of any day...just like anybody else.
    Double ditto.

And as for the living like you have 3 months left... that is how I live, since you never do know. Do you? At my age (54) it obviously is a bit closer to home but I have to say I have always been this way. My momma raised me that way--you never know when you might not get a second chance at "something", for whatever reason. So take the opportunity now. Even when you are young. Better to say "I have done' than to say "I wish I had done".

My critters are addressed in my will, and living will, etc.

I have a "trust" set up for my animals. I don't have children, so basically all of my assets are allotted to care for them until they pass. If my parents were still alive, their care would transfer to them. If not, I have two executors and several people who have agreed to assume the responsibility of my animals and my farm. There is a stipend set aside for the caregivers and enough to care for my current "herd" for 15-20 years, depending on how the cost of feed/shavings/fuel trends. I have a stipulation that the caregivers are allowed to make the decision to euthanize in the event that there is no money left and they cannot (or will not) continue to fund their care. They will not be sold.
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

Everything is fine with me, thanks for asking!

I work for a lawyer and we deal with estate matters, and I recently met someone (age 40) who found out, quite suddenly, that they only had a short time left. So I started wondering if that were me, what I would do with my two horses.

If I were to die tomorrow, my husband would decide whether to keep them or find them homes, and if he had a hard time finding them homes, my sister (who lives several hours away) would take them to try to find them homes. But I figure it's a bit different if you know how short your time is... Then you would need to decide if you want to spend your limited time tying up all the loose ends in your life, or actually living it and enjoying it....
    Jigga:

Well haveing soon intresing nedidical problems I have had several oppertunies to figue ths out. I know exacty were my horse who will get m horse. who willl get my dog both have special relationshipe both of of them. Like my dog, he is very particualr who he "attaches" himself to. he is a boarder collie x so he jst dosent attach himself to anyone he wont own just anyone the human he owns has to be picked by him. and he pick this person, when I was in the hospital last time. I guess he thuoght I wasnt comming home.

The Horse is the same. She loves him and her horse reciently suffered a injury that made him into a paster puff. Funny how that worked out..

Then I woud spend my time with him every moment I can.
    Friend of bar .ka

Sadly we went through this with my best childhood friend. She was diagnosed with cancer and did not make it a year, but we had a hell of a year with her. She rode to the end and she had a plan in place for her horses.

A girlfriends 10 year old daughter was ready to move up to a bigger horse and we all take pleasure in watching her ride every trail ride.

At the very end we had sent her horses to another friend's luxury farm about 5 hours away. When we knew it was the very end we were able to get him back home just before she died. We hooked up the baby monitor to the barn and we could tell by here reaction that she knew it was him when he whinnied. She passed shortly thereafter.

Each horse has a future home, and my dog would stay where she is. My TB would go to my trainer who loves him along with money to keep him/compete him, as it's still her business no matter how much she loves him. The two non-dressage girls have specific people who would want them. I suppose the new question would be the two year old who isn't here yet...
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Quote Originally Posted by quarterhorse4me View Post
    At the very end we had sent her horses to another friend's luxury farm about 5 hours away. When we knew it was the very end we were able to get him back home just before she died. We hooked up the baby monitor to the barn and we could tell by here reaction that she knew it was him when he whinnied. She passed shortly thereafter.
    How very nice of you to make that possible for her. As I sit here bawling at my computer, I cannot imagine...
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

My family would take ownership/care of my animals if anything were to happen to me.