The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Unhappy Parents - Lame Horse At Show...What Do YOU Do?

I am no longer training (thank heaven's!) but my DD is a young teen in 4-H. Her pony got a stone bruise today at the fair and ended up lame at the 4-H show. I asked her to get off the horse and put him away for the day. She was very up-set, as they work all year for this show and she did not get to finish. Was I wrong for pulling her off the horse? As a trainer, I would have NEVER let a client show a lame horse, but as a parent, it broke my heart. He was Reserve Champion out of 8 in Pleasure and was not off during those classes. As the day went on, he began a slight head-bob and I made her get off before it got worse. She did not feel it, but I explained that as she becomes a better rider, she will notice slight lamenesses. Ugh, I hate being on this end of things. Life is much easier being the trainer!! Things are much more cut and dried!!
    Boarding for Show, Pleasure, and Retirement horses. www.LockeMeadows.com

Of course you did the right thing --- it's a hard lesson for your daughter, but she knows she can't ride a lame horse. The judges would have excused her anyway. Disappointing for her? Yes, but it's one of those things she has to learn --- the horse always comes first.

As a parent? You did the best thing you could've done. May suck in the short term, but in the long term you're teaching her to be a compassionate individual who puts the animal's needs first.
    ---
    They're small hearts.

It's about the Lesson--not the Ribbon. Ya done good.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampYankee View Post
    This. My first pony had navicular, so I got VERY good at telling if he was uncomfortable while I was riding. I can remember one time in particular (I was about 11), I had to pull up and leave in the middle of a class because he felt off.

It is really sucky, but it's a good lesson to learn. Competing a lame or ouchy horse is not good horsemanship. I bet your daughter was SO disappointed, but the lesson that will stick with her is worth it. Plus, it's ONE year out of many. There are other shows

You done good as a mom. These are the important lessons on how to become a good horseman. It would be awful to NOT teach your daughter that she cant show on an ouchy pony.
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

You are my hero!
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

At least you noticed. There are many parents, with unscrupulous trainers who send kiddo around the ring on a lame-o horse, and they are clueless to the wonky pony. Hate to think that coaching fees are to blame, but, I can't think of any other reason a trainer would look the other way. I know there are some oldies that need to dust the cob-webs off in the ring, but, these types can get around the schooling ring with bute, etc. so there's no excuse for lame-o in the ring.

A good lesson.

You did the right thing for sure! Being involved with horses & ponies can teach kids so many great life lessons, but only if the adults helping them set the right example, as you did.

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    As a parent? You did the best thing you could've done. May suck in the short term, but in the long term you're teaching her to be a compassionate individual who puts the animal's needs first.
    You are teaching her CHARACTER.

The most important lesson of all.

Absolutely did the right thing.

Quote Originally Posted by mroades View Post
    You are my hero!
    Mine too!
    Free bar.ka and tidy rabbit.

You know you did the right thing!

A couple weeks ago I was standing behind a parent that was coaching her daughter how to hide the fact that her pony was lame in a pony pleasure class. He was off in the corners and okay on the long side. The child ended up winning and we both know that the lesson the child learned was not a good one. I can't help but worry about that poor pony, but there is also the issue of everyone talking about the trainer, parent and kid with the lame pony.

I am going to say it again...You did the right thing!

Horse comes first! When she gets older she'll thank you for the lesson that kept her from inflicting pain (even mildly) on her friend.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

I don't see how there's any OTHER option under these circumstances. The horse is lame? You're done. Period.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    I don't see how there's any OTHER option under these circumstances. The horse is lame? You're done. Period.
    Agreed.

If anything, I would be pointing out how lucky she was to show at all before the bruise started to bother the pony. That's more than many get to do on a day like that.

Thumbs up Absolutely!

Absolutely!

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Exclamation token award?

Could you make up a "token award "a tricolor for being a horsewoman and putting her horse first?perhaps it could be awarded at a club meeting?
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

You absolutely did the right thing. I don't understand how it is even a question! And kids have to learn that you don't always get a ribbon/trophy/award for doing the right thing. But, you do it anyway. That is just the way life is. Yes, it does sometime suck but doing the right thing is its own reward.
    Triple J Ranch Sporthorses
    www.triplejsporthorse.com
    Member - OMGiH I LOFF my mare(s) clique

Quote Originally Posted by SwampYankee View Post
    This.

And thank you for pulling her off.... having seen too many situations where kids are on lame horses.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

You did RIGHT...not everyone is such a responsible horse owner these days. Lots of praise for the child that is learning a difficult lesson that it is all about learning to be a "horseman" - not just a "rider". I went to a local 4H horse show a couple of years ago - as a visitor - didn't even know anyone there - but after I watched a 3-legged, head bobbing lame horse win three classes, I left in discust and have never gone to another local show!!! I was especially disturbed that the 4H leaders would allow such treatment of a horse!! Hope your daughter wins buckets of ribbons the next time!!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma